Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 'performance' discs/pads

Views : 533

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 01:07   #1
Mattty

Default 940 'performance' discs/pads

Looking at upgrading the brakes on my 1997 945 since I'm going for more power.

I have looked into bigger brake kits, but a lot of the options (S60R/V70R, XC90) require larger discs and I don't believe it will all fit under my 16" hydras which I want to keep.

So I tried to find some more performance/track oriented pads and/or discs but came up short apart from a few brands but only on American sites. Does anyone know of any brands that do good pads for these cars? I need something thats not going to overheat and fade after a few corners of heavy braking. I have a Mini cooper S track car and can find a load of pads specifically for 'road & track use', but nothing for my 940 with similar specs.

New fluid and stainless braided lines are also on the cards.

Thanks

Last edited by Mattty; Feb 12th, 2020 at 01:10.
Mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattty For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 10:52   #2
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I'm pretty sure the 302mm discs and calipers from a P1 850/x70 fit inside the hydras. Plenty of write-ups on this conversion.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:09   #3
mhuk

EBC Yellow on standard caliper. This is what I want to fit. I had those on my MX5 and they are on my mark 1 Audi TT. Amazing pads. Standard discs too.

I had some larger 4 pot calipers on my spitfire w/ turbo engine. The pads where Ferodo DS2000 and tbh while everyone raved about them. I thought them ok. Nothing special.

I had EBC greens on my BMW E30 which had drilled discs. That stopped very well. A lot of site will give you 5% off the price too. Promo codes ect.

Course if you want to go larger caliper thats cool too.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 14:00   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattty View Post
Looking at upgrading the brakes on my 1997 945 since I'm going for more power.

I have looked into bigger brake kits, but a lot of the options (S60R/V70R, XC90) require larger discs and I don't believe it will all fit under my 16" hydras which I want to keep.

So I tried to find some more performance/track oriented pads and/or discs but came up short apart from a few brands but only on American sites. Does anyone know of any brands that do good pads for these cars? I need something thats not going to overheat and fade after a few corners of heavy braking. I have a Mini cooper S track car and can find a load of pads specifically for 'road & track use', but nothing for my 940 with similar specs.

New fluid and stainless braided lines are also on the cards.

Thanks
Something to bear in mind is a lot of "performance" pads need to be warmed up before they can be used "in anger". That means for normal road use they're "cold" and won't give performance as good as normal, standard pads.

A friend of mine has a "track day slag" MX-5 and he has a set of road pads and a set of track pads. I think the road pads are EBC Yellow and the tracks are something a bit more exotic but they're very hard on the discs. Needless to say the track pads need a good warm up lap with plenty of heavy braking before he really gives it the beans on a few timed laps. He's tried fitting the track pads before driving to a track day to save time at the track but has found they don't give the performance he needs on the road so swaps them before and after the track session.

Different cars will respond to different pads in different ways though and also the style of driving, you might find going slightly larger on the front with better road pads is the best compromise for you all round. Think you're in for a period of trial and error to find what works best for you though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 17:07   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Something to bear in mind is a lot of "performance" pads need to be warmed up before they can be used "in anger". That means for normal road use they're "cold" and won't give performance as good as normal, standard pads.
DS2500 material should be good enough for any road use and I didn't notice any cold braking issues. Not sure if its road legal or not.

Next step up is DS3000 or EDC blue stuff / orange stuff, they aren't road legal.

If you are heating your disks up that much you need the super high temp pads you (OP) should be changing your disk every 2 yrs.

We are talking mainly about brake (pad) fade (surface melting), not braking performance. The 940 brakes are perfectly capable of stopping the car in any conditions, dependant only on tyre grip. Its when you are dropping from 100+ to 40 every minute or so on a track, it becomes a problem that needs more cooling, therefore bigger disks are better.

Brakes should be matched to BHP (not weight btw) and type of use. I'd say the standard 280x32mm disk + DS2500 should be pretty good for 200bhp and some spirited driving on country roads. Also of course make sure you have fresh (dry) fluid (say <6mths old).

On my 360 with 200bhp I'm running 276x22mm disks with Blue stuff and forced cooling on a hard braking track. Its just about managing, but I still get brake fade and around 1100C on the disk (bright yellow).
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 19:53   #6
deeman940
Master Member

Yup the 302mm setup should fit under 16's....
Yellow stuff pads work great, what i will be using on mine....
Mtec brakes (nothing to do with BMW) on ebay should have the disc sizes you need....
DOT 5 fluid and lines will help alot too...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 21:03   #7
rockheadrumble

Hi mate.

This is a really good in depth article that ive saved for future reference.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156900

Il proably go down the v70 bigger disc route when i eventually get round to it as i have set if 17" alloys to go on.

Joe
HOLSET/new 3" exh+531 being installed(watch this space!) VXR 470cc injectors,960maf, 3" throttle,AEM AFR wideband, Forge MBC, Boost gauge, TTV Billet fly+850r clutch, Locker diff mod, Lowered 40mm,B4 bilsteins,Adj panhard rod,Cone filter.247400miles!
rockheadrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rockheadrumble For This Useful Post: