Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PCV System & Vacuum Hoses...

Views : 3674

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 15:11   #1
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Question PCV System & Vacuum Hoses...

Hello all,

I have just acquired a RICA 304 ECU for my '97 855 T5. Does make a difference. However I'm not getting the full 16psi due.

As a first point of call I want to replace the I/C hoses and the vacuum hoses. I have already settled on using 4mm I.D fuel line for this. This brings me onto question 1.1: Is replacing these hoses a right PITA?

I can see both ends of the 'blue' (BCS to post-MAF intake hose) and the 'yellow' (BCS to turbo?) but can only see the BCS end of the 'green' hose. Question 1.2: Does the other end of the 'green' hose lead to the PCV under the inlet manifold? Question 1.3: Does the inlet manifold need to come off in order to change the vacuum hoses? Question 1.4: Is there a 'how to' for the vacuum lines on here?

My dipstick smokes very slightly. (Apologies if this sounds like i've jumped right off topic, it'll come to a subtle hanging cadence in a bit). This would usually lead to thoughts of a needed PCV system change. I had a look through my service history and the PCV system was replaced under 40k ago. Should it really need doing again? Question 2.1: If the answer to 1.3 is 'yes'; is it worth replacing the PCV anyway, even though the related parts come to ~£60.

The odd thing about my lack of boost is that I'm 5mm off the end of the white in all gears bar fifth. If I floor it at motorway speeds in 5th, the guage goes all the way to the end of the white. Question 3.1, does anyone have any ideas regarding this phenomenon?

Apologies for the long post, I appreciate if you've taken the time to get this far. I've edited it down a bot anyway.

Any ideas/help/suggestions gratefully received.

- Rich

Last edited by PowerOfTheBlues; Jan 19th, 2010 at 15:19.
PowerOfTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 21:53   #2
tc
VOC Member

Even though the PCV was changed 40k ago it's possible that the holes in the block weren't cleaned out properly when it was replaced. To get at the PCV you will need to remove the inlet manifold,but to be honest it's not that hard a job, although it's only £60-£70 for the parts I think with your's being recently done I' just buy the manifold gaskette, whip off the manilfold and check to see it's all been done properly.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 23:34   #3
Merc85
Premier Member

Smile Pcv is well worth doing

PCV is well worth doing again, if you love your car, and while the intake is off it is a little easier with the vac lines although i done all mine without removing it. my T5 had the standard ecu, and a de cat pipe also additional boost gauge fitted WELL worth it. Fitted MBC, car is running at 12.8 psi aprox, about 5 mill off the end of the white zone. never goe's all the way if that helps.
I could do it but would need a remap! cus of the ecu cutting in. i did have it right of the end and nearly blow it up when 1st fitting the MBC as it as pre set, THANK god i had the boost gauge, flew off the end of the white at 18PSI!!! doh!

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merc85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:24   #4
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Cheers Merc. How did you get to the Turbo end of the 'green' hose? Is it not deep in the depths of the engine bay? Just ss I can physically see the end, I have a feeling it's going to be an arse getting to and lashing a jubilee around.

TC: What's the best method of cleaning the holes in the block out? Compressed air? Can of Carb cleaner? Or is it important not to poke the 'dirt' in?

Cheers,
- Rich
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:56   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I did the PCV hoses a few months ago - it took a half day to do IIRC. Its not difficult, just a bit faffy. Regarding the holes in the block - I cleaned them out using a small screwdriver to pull the debris out of the holes and onto a rag. If you're careful you can get most of the sludge and debris out of the holes without any getting into the engine block.

Don't forget to clean the PCV valve itself - many people do, and the result is frequently a stubbornly smoking dipstick.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:12   #6
Merc85
Premier Member

Wink Pcv

Green hose onto the turbo, mine was so bad the rubber broke just short by the clamp, then with a flat blade screw driver i carefully bent the clip just enough to losen it, and pulled it off with some plier's, i dd it from the top but it is probably easier from underneath.

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 09:25   #7
dooby
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues View Post
How did you get to the Turbo end of the 'green' hose? Is it not deep in the depths of the engine bay? Just ss I can physically see the end, I have a feeling it's going to be an arse getting to and lashing a jubilee around.
Yeah it is quite deep. I may have done this one up from underneath actually, and I'm afraid I didn't bother with a jubilee but a cable tie (hey, my car my rules!). A better solution would be a new green metal sprung clip like Volvo use if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Don't forget to clean the PCV valve itself - many people do, and the result is frequently a stubbornly smoking dipstick.
Do you mean the heater element right at the turbo intake pipe end? I was wondering about that having seen a recent post from Clan on the matter. I wonder if I should test whether it is still heating, and if it's replaceable as a separate part...

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:19   #8
bobbych
Premier Member

I also need to look at mine, now the question is, people are mentioning here, they are cleaning their PCV. So does this mean I can just take it all apart, clean the pipelines and PCV and refit? This way, I only really need a manifold gasket? Or is it better to replace?

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 13:49   #9
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

I think that depends on when it was last done. I know, looking through the history, mine was cleaned first, but it wasn't long after it was replaced, and has been fine until now. so ~40k.

I think, although it's £60 for the parts (excluding the £7 gasket), it's best replacing. I have seen old systems that are very perished, and the rubber's ripped and the plastic tubing has cracks. I'd hate to just be only prepared to clean the system, and then, after taking everything off, finding out it needs to be replaced, and then having to re-assemble, only to take apart the following week or so.

Back to Dooby's idea for clips, aren't jubilees always the best bet if one can get them on? Near infinite tightness levels, rather than just a clip that closes. Can cable ties really hold the pipes on ok? I'd be happy to resort to ties if I find my fuel line is too large with respect to its outside diameter on the BCS.

Will the car on axle stands give enough access to the 'green' line on the turbo?

Regards,
- Rich
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 14:07   #10
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Also, the elbow on the vac line going to the PCV under the inlet mani, can the hole section be replaced by one peoce of fuel line. Is there any need for the elbow here? If so, what do you use for this purpose?

Cheers,
- Rich

Tags
boost, hoses, i/c, pcv, vacuum