Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stupid Question.....

Views : 1478

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:42   #1
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Default Stupid Question.....

Please forgive my ignorance.....

I know quite a bit about old Fords, mechanical engines etc etc but tbh have lost touch in the last few years. I've heard talk of redblocks and whiteblocks....what does this mean. Is it NA and turbo?
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:56   #2
Geezer

Hi Julie,

No...it's not a stupid question as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen references to these types of engines before and to be honest...I have no idea, but I would like to know what they are? How can you tell one from the other...differences in HP etc. etc.

Can those in the know please explain as I'm sure that there's plenty of us that would like to know.

Cheers,
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:06   #3
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up Whiteblocks and Redblocks

Whiteblocks are the modern aluminium alloy engines found in the 850 and 70 series and redblocks are the cast iron engines found in the 200, 700 and 900 engines, I'll leave it to the experts to give more detail!

IC
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:11   #4
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Basically our ice cream loving friend has summed it up perfectly.

The Redblock is the cast iron block engine that came in two basic guises; the overhead valve upright engine found in the Amazon, 140, 160 and a few early 240's, and the later overhead cam slanted engine found in the 240, 740, 760, 940, 960 and 360 (and a few early 340GLS's if we're being pedantic!). It is the later OHC engine that is usually referred to as a Redblock.
These (the OHC) are all 4 cylinder engines with cast iron block that is painted red (hence the name!) and with a aluminium head. They could be had in 1784cc, 1986cc, 2127cc, 2316cc and 25xx guises with the latter being for the marine engine only. They could be had with carbs or injection, NA or turbo. Almost all are 8v, but towards the end of the '80's a 16v injected version made an appearance in 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 guise with the turbo option on the 2.0.
The engine numbers are either two or three digit (B19, B230 etc) and the OHC engine lasted from 1974 to 1998.

The Whiteblock is the family of engines that first made their appearance with the 3.0litre 6 cylinder in the 960 and is of all alloy construction with cast iron liners. They are unpainted so gained the nickname whiteblock.

They are a modular series of engines available in 4, 5 and 6 cyl guises with 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 4cyls, 2.0, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 5cyls and 2.4, 2.5, 2.8 and 3.0 6cyls. All are injected with some benefitting from turbos. They are all Twin-Cam with most being 4valves per cyl (the exception being the 2.5 10v 5cyl in the 850/S/V70).
They all have 4 digit engine codes (B4204, B5234, B6304 etc) and were made from 1991 to date.
Old May 1st, 2006, 15:34   #5
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

I think gramps just summed that up perfectly.

I didn't know that the 16v turbo only came on the 2 litre thou.
1stRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 17:35   #6
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Thanks guys.....for unveiling the mystery
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:33   #7
Geezer

Thanks for that Guys,

OK... now I have a "dumb question".

Can you please now tell me what a "blue top" engine is? I think it might be related to S/V & C Series although I'm not too sure.

Cheers,
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:58   #8
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Default and another

Why is the B230K engine known as the 'heron head' ? The cylinder head is flat, with combustion chambers in the pistons - but I don't get the connection with herons.

The only possible connection I can see is with the shape of the combustion chambers in the pistons - it looks a bit like the shape a heron might leave if it stuck it's head in mud or snow.

Do herons do that, or do they have flat heads? They do 'head for the mudflats'!

Sorry can't help with bluetops BTW - too recent for me I think.

(edit)

It seems some types of heron do have flat heads, only really obvious when viewed from the front, so that must be why the tag.

Last edited by Glen Morangie; May 2nd, 2006 at 15:17.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 17:59   #9
Oli
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer
Thanks for that Guys,

OK... now I have a "dumb question".

Can you please now tell me what a "blue top" engine is? I think it might be related to S/V & C Series although I'm not too sure.

Cheers,
The engine of my V70R AWD has a blue top. See my strutbrace picture below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam000084.jpg (65.5 KB, 15 views)
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 21:05   #10
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

As I understand it the 'Bluetop' is the later version of the whiteblock 5 (may also apply to other whiteblocks - I don't know) fitted to the S/V/C70 and had stronger rods and crank, a revised injection system and the all important blue cam cover!