Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2020 - Voice command not working

Views : 709

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2023, 13:57   #1
cazuk

Default XC60 2020 - Voice command not working

Hi,

I recently bought an XC60 2020. I have struggled to get the voice command working. When I press the button to activate I get either
(1) nothing, other than the radio muting for a period while I assume it tries to activate
(2) whirling blue circle in centre of dashboard briefly then nothing
(3) Voice command not responding please try again

It has been back to the dealership twice (last time today) and on both occasions the technicians have reported that it is working as it should. However I have been able to prove that it doesn't work when I try to activate it with the service rep when I have gone to pick-up.

After picking up today (Saturday) from the dealership for the second time where the technician has said it's ok but I've demonstrated to the service rep that it clearly isn't, I decided to have a play myself. I have finally got to the bottom of the issue. It appears that when my iPhone SE is connected via bluetooth it somehow interferes with the voice command. If I disconnect the phone it works ok, plus when I connected my partners galaxy phone it works ok. I've yet to try another apple iPhone but I'm assuming they will be OK. I have the most recent software installed on the volvo. Has anyone else had the same issue or heard about anything similar? thanks
cazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 21:59   #2
wynnj
Master Member

I'm new (1st Nov) to the XC60 myself though lots of experience with other volvo models, so am still getting to grips with all the options/possibilities myself! Only had a cursory exploratory foray into voice command but I think I read in the full 650+ page owners manual that once you connect an iphone via a usb cable and appleplay you have to use SIRI for voice commands. I'm pretty sure it's necessary for apps on the phone but I may be wrong about it applying to all functions.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 01:16   #3
TDubs

Default Same problem, 2 years no solution.

Hi Cazuk,

I encountered the same issue over 2 years ago. Since then, I’ve taken it to 2 different dealers who’ve sent multiple tech reports to Volvo Australia with no solution. I sought legal advice in June 2023 and still working with a solicitor to get the issue resolved. Under Austrian Consumer Law, it’s classified as a major fault and the car should be replaced if it can’t be repaired in a reasonable timeframe. What constitutes as “reasonable” is decided in court. Given the lax response from Volvo Australia’s Head of Customer Care and Managing Director, i envisage it being a long time before a resolution is reached

In the meantime, perhaps we can figure out the root cause ourselves? I’m using an iPhone 14 Pro, running iOS 17.4. Mine will work momentarily if I remove my phone from the car’s bluetooth and reconnect it, which makes me think it has something to do with the volume of messages/contacts being synced alongside using the bluetooth internet connection; however, I can’t find any documented limitations.

Have you noticed not all messages and contacts load and the ones that do load are often different?

I also have more luck connecting my phone via wifi (not bluetooth internet) and using bluetooth for calls and messages but this still only works intermittently. I’m also searching for an automation that'll connect my phone to car wifi automatically. Additionally, I set my Personal Hotspot to ‘Maximise Computability’ because it wouldn’t connect otherwise.

Like yours, mine works with an Android device. I’m going to contact Apple Support to see if they have a known solution.

My frustration with this issue and at Volvo’s slow, seeming care-free response is beyond anything i thought I’d experience when buying a car. I hope you don’t suffer the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazuk View Post
Hi,

I recently bought an XC60 2020. I have struggled to get the voice command working. When I press the button to activate I get either
(1) nothing, other than the radio muting for a period while I assume it tries to activate
(2) whirling blue circle in centre of dashboard briefly then nothing
(3) Voice command not responding please try again

It has been back to the dealership twice (last time today) and on both occasions the technicians have reported that it is working as it should. However I have been able to prove that it doesn't work when I try to activate it with the service rep when I have gone to pick-up.

After picking up today (Saturday) from the dealership for the second time where the technician has said it's ok but I've demonstrated to the service rep that it clearly isn't, I decided to have a play myself. I have finally got to the bottom of the issue. It appears that when my iPhone SE is connected via bluetooth it somehow interferes with the voice command. If I disconnect the phone it works ok, plus when I connected my partners galaxy phone it works ok. I've yet to try another apple iPhone but I'm assuming they will be OK. I have the most recent software installed on the volvo. Has anyone else had the same issue or heard about anything similar? thanks
TDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 11:04   #4
Carlos71

Hi guys,

I just found this post from a few months ago.
I happen to have the exact same problem. My voice command works before the phone is synchronized with the car, then, it stops working.
I just got it back from service, they checked it and told me it was working fine, but with my phone is not.
It certainly seem to have a problem with the contacts or something, but really no idea where exactly the problem is.
I tried to synchronize just part of the contacts, so the amount of data wouldn’t be so high, but no result.
Do you have any new info on the subject?? Thanks
Carlos71 is offline   Reply With Quote