Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740TD clutch hydraulics fail repeatedly

Views : 732

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2005, 13:55   #1
Anlotti

Default 740TD clutch hydraulics fail repeatedly

The slave cylinder on my diesel 740 estate split its seals and failed recently. It was replaced, though only after the garage's trouble bleeding the new one led them to replace the master cylinder too. As both were probably pretty ancient it wasn't unreasonable.

Alas, the replacement slave started to leak after about 40 miles (fluid coming back under the boot and along the pushrod). They say they've fitted the right type - not the Lockheed, which they had first and sent back, but the other one.

So that was replaced under warranty. And now it's happening again - clutch getting spongey and the fluid level dropping.

It could be a freakishly bad batch of cylinders, but is it more likely that a bent release arm and/or worn clutch (it's not in first bloom) is forcing the slave piston past its limits?

Steve
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 00:17   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 740TD clutch hydraulics fail repeatedly

You would seem to be unlucky and either the bleed screw was not tightened properly after the job was done or the seals in the slave are useless. It would seem to be the slave seal that is causing your problem. Back to the garage and tell them to do the job properly this time please. I would assume that the master and slave cylinders may be available from Sachs-Boge who make the clutch assembly. They should ensure that the slave cylinder is of exactly the same pattern as fitted originally.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 00:24   #3
Anlotti

Default RE: 740TD clutch hydraulics fail repeatedly

Many thanks, Peter

(Sorry about delayed reply - I was waiting for an email alert for a reply; I'm subscribed to the topic according to the screens here, so I assume the 'subscribe to this topic' feature is not working properly since the site crash on 15 May.)

Well, the clutch is back and working now, though I did ask them to fit a clutch kit and they added a release lever and pivot too. More expense, and a risk of the 'add new parts till it works' school of repair.

However, the new slave cylinder (the third replacement on warranty) looks to be holding up better this time. For one thing, there's less pedal travel than when the clutch was biting near the floor. The cylinder looks more substantial this time too, so perhaps it's an 'OE' replacement rather than a cheapie, as you suggest.

I'll get back if the beast fails again.

Steve