Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HUD or heated windscreen

Views : 57317

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which option would you sekect
HUD 205 46.91%
Heated windscreen 232 53.09%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 13:15   #281
olszewm

Probably in the UK a heated screen is not that essential, however, I drive a lot during the winter in continental Europe. A couple of times, driving on a motorway in very cold weather, the windscreen started to frost over and I had to switch on the heated screen as the normal heater couldn't cope. This was in my previous XC60.
Now I have an XC90 with a HUD and since I don't use the build-in sat nav, it's usefulness is limied for me. Wish it could display directions from Apple Maps

Past: XC60 D5 SE LUX NAV Black MY14
olszewm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 13:21   #282
TheDufster

I would say we're well into double figures for mornings of frosted windscreens in the UK. I really miss my heated screen (had it on my last XC90) and now have a HUD that I don't use because I can't see it with my seat in the highest setting (even after trying to adjust the HUD in the settings menu), so I've turned it off.

I pre-heat my car on mornings below 5 degrees, but it's a diesel so not really environmentally friendly.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 21:51   #283
Goatherder

Man, this is an old and long thread !
I have a MY21 XC60 (from new) and opted for the HUD, and happy with it.....although the wife disagrees. She always wanted a heated screen (had one in a Passat), and she is irritated by the '60 now, because even when remotely starting for 15 mins prior to her leaving....the ice has barely defrosted at the bottom of the screen. Volvo say "the cabin with go to a 'comfortable temperature' when prestarting". Well, -2'C outside, ice on the screen and after 15 mins, I would say it is probably 8'C in the cabin. I (actually the wife) would say that is not comfortable, and resorts begrudgingly to the ice scraper at 7am !
So....something wrong here ? I would have thought it should be well warm after 15 mins.
What is the concept behind the timers for "preconditioning" in the sensus screen?
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 22:15   #284
SteEnt

I had a 2023 XC60 Plus last year which had a heated windscreen.
I then switched to a BMW 320d, with HUD.
I use the HUD every day, and the heated windscreen got used maybe 4 times in the time I had the car.
I have just placed an order for a new XC60 and have opted for the HUD.
Heated windscreen is great for getting the windscreen clear quickly, but the new one I have coming is a plugin hybrid, and with the app where you can remote start and acclimate the car for 10 minutes before getting in it, makes the heated windscreen a bit redundant anyway.
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 17:53   #285
neilgorin

Hang on, as someone who can't stand heated screens (I'm currently in a S60 courtesy car with one and it's giving me headaches after 20 minutes of driving - I can see the wires constantly with or without glasses, and at night the diamonding on oncoming lights is horrific) I assumed I had bought my last Volvo as they now all had heated screens given no Core cars are now sold in the UK (ignoring the XC40).

So if I were to buy at a later date an XC60, as long as it has HUD (which I would likely switch off) - I won't have a heated screen - is that correct?
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 19:08   #286
JonathanD
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
Hang on, as someone who can't stand heated screens (I'm currently in a S60 courtesy car with one and it's giving me headaches after 20 minutes of driving - I can see the wires constantly with or without glasses, and at night the diamonding on oncoming lights is horrific) I assumed I had bought my last Volvo as they now all had heated screens given no Core cars are now sold in the UK (ignoring the XC40).

So if I were to buy at a later date an XC60, as long as it has HUD (which I would likely switch off) - I won't have a heated screen - is that correct?
It has never been possible to specify both heated windscreen and HUD together, rather one or the other or neither, so yes, if an XC60 has HUD it will definitely not have heated windscreen.

Looking at the current UK XC60 pricelist on the UK website, Model Year 2025 Edition 1, which still includes Core, Core comes with neither heated windscreen nor HUD, Plus comes with heated windscreen whereas Ultra comes with HUD. Heated windscreen can be added to Core as part of the optional Climate Pack. Heated windscreen is also an option, at no extra cost, on Ultra, in which case heated windscreen replaces HUD. However, HUD is not available on Core or Plus at all. So based on that you would have to get either Core and forego the optional Climate Pack (so no air purifier, heated rear seats or heated steering wheel either) or Ultra, with the middle ground Plus being absolutely out of the question for you.

Going back a few years and looking at the UK V90 pricelist Model Year 2018 Edition 3, Momentum/R-Design/Inscription/Cross Country all came with neither heated windscreen nor HUD. Momentum Pro/R-Design Pro/Inscription Pro/Cross Country Pro all came with heated windscreen. Heated windscreen was available on Momentum/R-Design/Inscription/Cross Country as part of the optional Winter Pack (along with heated steering wheel, heated washer nozzles and headlight cleaning system). HUD was an option on all models, with the caveat that if added to a Pro variant or in conjunction with Winter Pack heated windscreen was deleted and the HUD cost was reduced. Relevant to me as when I bought my V90 new five years ago, as someone who had appreciated the heated windscreen on a Ford Focus followed by three Ford Mondeos between 1999 and 2009, it was heated windscreen yes and HUD no from me!

What looking back does confirm, and it is a theme I have seen others mention on numerous occasions, is the effect of more fixing of model specs with less scope for flexibility these days. Just a few short years ago, you could spec any model of V90 with heated windscreen or you could spec any model of V90 with HUD. Now, while you can spec any model of XC60 with heated windscreen, you cannot spec an XC60 in the middle ground Plus trim level with HUD. Utterly illogical and frankly balmy to my way of thinking, but I guess it is what is called progress!
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:24   #287
JDR82

I was torn when I was picking a S60, had it down to either an inscription or R-Design with winter pack and polestar upgrade. I was drawn by the heated screen, vented seats and full passenger electric initially.

However Went with the R and glad I did, preheating worked absolutely perfectly while I ate breakfast on any frosty morning over winter. Anytime I drive my partners car or as recently I had a courtesy car for a week I really miss having the HUD.
JDR82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDR82 For This Useful Post: