Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Tyre help

Views : 939

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 10:03   #1
boston boy

Default S60 Tyre help

Hi, i have recently bought a 2016 S60 D4 R design. I am due to replace the tyres (235/40ZR/R18) this month and would appreciate any advice you could give me please ref what tyres to fit next. I drive approximately 20k miles per year and the majority is in the north of England thus having to deal with winter roads/conditions and really need a good tyre to cope with all seasons. On my previous car i fitted rain sports which were great in wet conditions but not good in winter.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Boston Boy.
boston boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 02:07   #2
Lonsdale

There is a poll on tyres - have a search, I love Nokians.

I'd never heard of them but they are premium tyre (from Finland?)

Check their ratings on Tyre Leader

HTH

Lonsdale
Lonsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 14:59   #3
S60RDesign

I've ran mine on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Michelin Cross Climate + - for most of the year the Pilot Sports are streets ahead for handling and response, the Cross Climates are poor if you like to drive sportily, you can feel the sidewalls flex and you can't lean on the tyres as much. The PS4s were pretty good in the 2018 snow, not had the opportunity to try the Cross Climates in those conditions yet. If I remember the Cross Climates were the only all season tyre that matched the speed and load rating of the car (as of last December) but the Continental all season tyres are meant to be better in winter conditions.

Last edited by S60RDesign; Oct 14th, 2020 at 17:28.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 17:00   #4
V8XCV

For doing that number of miles you could employ the strategy I use on one of our cars, I fit a set of Goodyear Vector 2 Seaons Asy 2 in the autumn, then they are nice and grippy all over winter and then run them down in the summer and replace them with a new set in the autumn. I find that after about 14k miles you are down to 5mm which is too low for winter but still fine for summer and I would guess that after about 20k you would be down to 4mm and ready to change again next autumn

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 21:23   #5
boston boy

Default Thanks for the advice

Just a quick note to say thanks for the advice, really appreciated, need to get sorted soon before the weather hits North Yorkshire.
boston boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 22:13   #6
NickMV70

Hi, I’m a tyre geek. Until this year I have always had dedicated summer and Winter Tyres. I now have Michelin Crossclimates and love them. I live in a remote village in North York’s and feel these tires are perfectly suited to the road conditions we have. I have a 2017 v60 redesign with the same size as you and would highly recommend you look at the crossclimates
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote