Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Estate headlights

Views : 594

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2021, 01:14   #1
mikeoc

Default 850 Estate headlights

Hi All,

One of my headlights has been badly chipped for a long time and now the mirror seems to have dulled and yellowed. I’m assuming that it’s time to replace the headlamp unit but I’m having trouble finding lights that are suitable for the UK - everything out there is Right Hand Traffic, when of course we in the UK are left.

Now, obviously I don’t want to be blinding people or breaking the law by putting the wrong type of light in so I was wondering if any of you knew where to get replacement UK aligned headlights?

Or perhaps I’m missing something simple and the RHT units can be easily switched to LHT or something?

Any help welcome, I have a long night drive to a funeral (next morning, not night-time) coming up and I’d like to get this sorted beforehand as it feels slightly dangerous to me driving long distance as is.

Thanks all,

Mike
Old May 16th, 2021, 05:32   #2
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Mikeoc, its only the lens that determines whether it is for LHD or RHD. These are interchangeable and can be purchased on flebay for about £20.00 from memory. Get a h/light from a LHD car and fit a RHD lens. Small world I grew up in Croydon area.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 08:44   #3
attilat5

Sorry to hijack this but I’m in the same boat! The mot station said next time round it would be a fail as they have dulled down. However no chips or cracks.

Jack do you mean a lense like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333963894042

Is this the only difference between a lhd and rhd headlight? i didnt realise it was this bit that changed the pattern.
attilat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 09:32   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoc View Post
I’m having trouble finding lights that are suitable for the UK - everything out there is Right Hand Traffic, when of course we in the UK are left.
PFV do them, although it looks as if they're out of stock of offside complete units at the moment, they do stock the nearside one:

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...c60a0bfdd18f48

It's probably worth giving them a ring and asking how long it'll be before the offside units are back in stock if you need one of these, I know the pandemic has resulted in them temporarily running out of stock of some items, but they do come back in fairly quickly.

PFV also stock the headlamp glass for both sides, although if the reflector has lost its shine (a common fault on these cars) you'll really need a whole headlamp unit:

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...c60a0bfdd18f48

I replaced one of my V70 lamps with a PFV one, and it's good quality and has given me no problems. They come without the headlamp levelling motors, so you just swap those over from the old unit, it's easy.

Hope that helps.
Old May 16th, 2021, 10:30   #5
attilat5

This forum is so useful! Thank you, I’d given up hope they still made them!
Thank you.
Old May 16th, 2021, 10:33   #6
4x4
Premier Member

Might be worth giving these guys a call Click
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2021, 20:50   #7
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Attilat5, Yes thats it but I cant see whether its described as fitting LHD or RHD so just make sure you get a RHD. The h/light unit can be from either. Its the pattern of lines on the lens that direct the beam left or right.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 21:03   #8
attilat5

Thanks Jack.

Have emailed PVF and they said the other RHD headlight is on very long lead time. So i’ll get two lhd ones and fit my lense on them. Mine are perfect.

Tags
850, estate, headlight