Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM related issues: My diary of ongoing findings...

Views : 19285

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2021, 13:34   #41
moorgate

(ahem) There is an unconsidered possibility. Speaking as a computer networks nerd, I am reasonably familiar with failures of twisted-pair wiring. If no amount of buggering about with pins and modules is working out then the fault may be a snapped twisted-pair conductor, back somewhere in the wiring loom. Something like 30% of the old computer leads I 'encounter' have at least one conductor (of eight) snapped in the middle of the lead. This makes for very intermittant fault patterns, because normal vibration can bring the snapped ends back into contact, and most twisted pair current loads are so low that the lead then looks kosher. If the snap in the conductor is close to the plug, then Volvo's fix of a replacement connector with a few cm's of 'tail' left on would fix the problem; likewise the chap here who mentioned putting a ferrite core on the twisted leads - the core could be holding the snapped conductor together.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 23:28   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
(ahem) There is an unconsidered possibility. Speaking as a computer networks nerd, I am reasonably familiar with failures of twisted-pair wiring. If no amount of buggering about with pins and modules is working out then the fault may be a snapped twisted-pair conductor, back somewhere in the wiring loom. Something like 30% of the old computer leads I 'encounter' have at least one conductor (of eight) snapped in the middle of the lead. This makes for very intermittant fault patterns, because normal vibration can bring the snapped ends back into contact, and most twisted pair current loads are so low that the lead then looks kosher. If the snap in the conductor is close to the plug, then Volvo's fix of a replacement connector with a few cm's of 'tail' left on would fix the problem; likewise the chap here who mentioned putting a ferrite core on the twisted leads - the core could be holding the snapped conductor together.
They are very robust multi strand flexible cables for automotive use , they never give trouble doing their digital job .. the metal terminals on the end where they mate with the pin in the CEM is the weak point . Having said that the vast majority of the volvos have no problems at all .
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 10:39   #43
Crazybob

So.......thought I'd update.

Having exhausted my options of a cheap fix I bit the bullet and prayed on a journey down to Volvo Diagnostics in Tilbury. 1 ½ A4 sheets of fault codes later, it turns out the CEM was frazzled caused by an overcharging alternator, when revving the engine the voltage was climbing in excess of 15v. I was expecting a CEM, not an alternator as well, so that stung a little. I am however, glad to have a car without a disco dashboard once again 😁
Crazybob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crazybob For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 10:28   #44
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
So.......thought I'd update.

Having exhausted my options of a cheap fix I bit the bullet and prayed on a journey down to Volvo Diagnostics in Tilbury. 1 ½ A4 sheets of fault codes later, it turns out the CEM was frazzled caused by an overcharging alternator, when revving the engine the voltage was climbing in excess of 15v. I was expecting a CEM, not an alternator as well, so that stung a little. I am however, glad to have a car without a disco dashboard once again 😁
Great result Crazybob, in terms of getting to the bottom of this. New CEM and alternator then? Out of interest, how painful was it on the wallet?!
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:09   #45
Tbird111

Default V50 cem

This article has helped me a lot. My car has two faults; the first; the blower doesn't work, the codes are;
CCM(Climate Control Module) 5 problems exist
1.CCM-0071 Damper Motor. Faulty Position
2.CCM-E010 Power Supply. Faulty Signal
3.CCM-0004 Passenger Compartment Temperature Sensor. Signal
Too High Or Signal Missing
4.CCM-DD14 Recirculation Damper Motor. No Communication
5.CCM-DD10 Air Quality Sensor (AQS). No Communication
We thought that we had narrowed it down to a faulty resistor but according to Volvo the car doesn't have a physical resistor.
The second fault sends it into Limp mode;
1.ECM-0380 Glow Plug Relay. Faulty Signal, but folk say that it probably isn't the relay but the 60amp fuse.
I would be most grateful if I could find the help and clear the problem, thanks,
Tbird111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 23:16   #46
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Just to update this...

Since my first post and having removed the CEM completely, split it and gently filed the pins with the wife's foam backed nail file and then cleaned the board, the pins and the multi-plugs (again) with contact cleaner and a toothbrush, reassembled, cleared the codes... a couple of months and about 5,000 miles have passed and thus far, it's been fine with no CEM related issues to report.

Granted, I've probably now jinxed it and it'll pack in tomorrow but given it was giving issues on a fairly regular basis, whilst I can't say it's fixed fixed, it certainly appears better. Whether it was filing the pins or another clean or the plugs / pins are sitting better or all of the above, who knows...

Until it happens again, I'm not inclined to start fiddling with it again.

Watch this space...

Excellent article. Particularly since Im current having the same issue! When you say you split the CEM, do you mean you opened it up to clean the circuit board itself? Thanks in advance.
aquacultureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 11:05   #47
Parknest

I've just read this thread from the beginning and it partly relates to my own "anti-skid service required" issue as I have a CEM 1A64 error code.

@moorgate mentioned broken CANbus wires and my first thought was to test the wiring with an oscilloscope. These can be had for a reasonable price these days and it is a good way of checking the integrity of the CANbus network. A simpler test is to check the resistance of the network (60 Ohms if I remember correctly). If you get 120 Ohms then one of the terminating resistors that are located at each end of the network has failed. I think the resistors can be embedded in a module.

I have a Haynes for my own XC90 but the wiring diagrams aren't of much use when you're trying to diagnose problems with modules or the CAN network. I did manage to locate a proper wiring diagram for the P2 platform (V70, XC70 & XC90) which has helped me.

Volvo Diagnostics seems to have a good reputation going by the forum posts that I've read and would be worth a try.
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)
1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
Parknest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2022, 14:55   #48
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This has been going on for over 10 years now occasionally on random S40/V50/C70 / C30 cars , every dealer should know what to do by now .

There are three twisted pairs of digital network communication wires going to the CEM through different plugs , the female terminals in the plugs fret and loose their grip on the CEM pins , volvo do the repair terminals . By rubbing the protective tin off the cem pins you are going to make things even worse .
Hi Clan. Can you tell me the colours of the multiplugs that the twisted Comm wires go into? Also dont know which pins the wires connect to without unravelling the lot!
Old May 1st, 2022, 22:01   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacultureman View Post
Hi Clan. Can you tell me the colours of the multiplugs that the twisted Comm wires go into? Also dont know which pins the wires connect to without unravelling the lot!
Yes i can ...

plug G ( labelled FRONT 2 ) green , underside on left

pins G14 ( Blue/red ) and G15 Grey/red )

Plug F ( labelled FLOOR 2 ) brown plug to the right of the above green plug

pins F14 (Blue/Red) F16 (Grey/Red)

Plug B ( labelled Cockpit 2 ) , Blue plug top left

pins B8 (Grey/Blue) B9 ( Blue/Yellow )

repair terminals 30656678

you will have to take the plug shells off and replace the terminals with new stronger ones otherwise you get the problem back .
Old May 1st, 2022, 22:58   #50
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes i can ...

plug G ( labelled FRONT 2 ) green , underside on left

pins G14 ( Blue/red ) and G15 Grey/red )

Plug F ( labelled FLOOR 2 ) brown plug to the right of the above green plug

pins F14 (Blue/Red) F16 (Grey/Red)

Plug B ( labelled Cockpit 2 ) , Blue plug top left

pins B8 (Grey/Blue) B9 ( Blue/Yellow )

repair terminals 30656678

you will have to take the plug shells off and replace the terminals with new stronger ones otherwise you get the problem back .
Thank you very much Clan. Stupid question - if I order 6 terminals from Volvo, will they already be twisted into their constituent pairs, or is that something I need to do? I notice that Skandix supplies them as single wires, and am vaguely aware of the electromagnetic interference reason for twisting.

Last edited by aquacultureman; May 1st, 2022 at 23:03.

Tags
s40 cem fault, v50 cem fault, volvo faulty cem