Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air valves, throttle bodies and a high idle

Views : 873

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 18:46   #1
a15htn

Default Air valves, throttle bodies and a high idle

The wardrobe's at it again..... x(

Question 1.
She seems to idle very high on startup (3k ish) and occasionally just sits at traffic lights at around 1000 / 1500 rpm.

Any technical guru's know what I have to clean, replace or generally butcher and how would be nice ? I've searched the posts and found nothing very detailed on this :(

Question 2.
When my turbo recirc's through the K&N cone filter I can hear it (normal I know) but latley it sounds "flappy" like the wastegate is flapping, not just opening. Any guesses how I can check it ?

Jim,
'96 855-R (The FLAPPING Wardrobe) :+
Old Jun 6th, 2002, 22:47   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Air valves, throttle bodies and a high id

The problem is Jim that you've now tinkered sufficiently to make all "standard"-based posts about idle speed irrelevant.

While I know that this is anathema to the dedicated tweaker, I would suggest a visit to them as has the OBD kit and a thorough fettle and adjust.

Once you've regained normality, you can start changing it all over again....
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2002, 00:08   #3
a15htn

Simon,

I beg to differ.... the car has been spot on for a year now in its disgracefully modded state, however the start up idle has gone donkey in the last 10 days....suggesting to me that something in the idle "valve??" region is a bit sick...... hence my original question

When last visiting Volvo (3 months ago) they checked the car out thouroughly, because I asked them if it was likley to upset things having the K&N a bleed and a heavy right foot.

They said no need as the car would tell us if it was unhappy, I insisted and volunteered to pay so they plugged in, switched on, tinkered and produced a bit of paper stating that all relevant figures were within tolerance of the ECU's limits.

So the question remains.......... WHAT has got mucky or died to produce a high startup idle? And WHY does my wastegate sound like a very powerful whoopee cushion ???

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Local Dealer Tested and approved Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 19:45   #4
Bigbird76

Hi Jim

I had same trouble}

Try looking at the small air vacume pipe that pluggs into the end of the manifold cambelt side under your water thermostat. You will probably need a torch to see it but it is a common problem the elbow rots away. This will cause your car to idle between 800-1500 and give u idle problems at traffic lights,

If that is not the problem try cleaning your Air idle valve out with WD40 untill you can hear it moving inside.

I did these operations to my 96 850 T5 and have no problems my car has also been modded and with a K/N filter my car sounds like wastegate is loose but it is not as i have taken it apart before.

Hope this helps you Jim

thanks Leigh (bigbird)
Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:22   #5
a15htn

Ahhhh something constructive !

Thanks Leigh, I'll go hunting by lamplight for this little pipe.... wish me luck (although the cam belts being done soon for a ridiculously small amount of money - maybe it'll be more visible whilst its being done?)

Where precisley is the Air Idle Valve ?? I've heard of it but never had the guts to try it ! :) Somewhere around the throttle body I guess ???

As for the wastegate..... I've had some more info from someone who does a lot of turbo'd car work, and I quote:

I then went onto driving the car 'hard' and could clearly hear the BOV opening as boost levels reached the 11 psi mark upwards. It was not a full opening type of sound, more a sort of 'leak off' sound. I can only summise that the BOV does not like the extra boost, ie the closing spring is too weak.
I would be interested to know if any one else has experienced this, or would be willing to try it for themselves. It would also be interesting to see what a manual car does in the same scenario.

This chap has since dismantled his turbo to check it out and found that the spring operating the gate - whilst within correct tolerance - is not strong enough to hold itself shut during heavy boost. I guess I should turn my bleed down a little bit !! The other option is a hybrid turbo & proper wastegate..... megga money !!!!!!!

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)