Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Consumption

Views : 2140

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 23:41   #11
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Oil Consumption

Basically the dealer/garage is saying do not worry about oil consumption until it passes the 1 litre per oil change mark.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:46   #12
Craig

Dan, oil level will vary a bit depending on how hard or little it's been run recently. If you've done a week or more of town driving (especially in winter) then quite a lot of condensation builds up, raising the oil level. After a run this evaporates, and the level goes down again ...
Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:05   #13
Dan F
Premier Member

OK Craig, sounds reasonable but surely water in the oil would cause problems.....OK I know , you are going to say that it isn't enough to worry about...and I suppose you are right but the driving had been the same both times and I always get a run home every night and the engine is always at operating temp by the time I get home.

the fact the car had been stood for 2 days must have something to do with it...anyway I am going to check again tomorrow morning after one night standing and see what it reads. :-)

To Dr Dolittle, do you work for Volvo?
Firstly, I agree that using the right oil is essential and people who use thinner oil, purely because it is synthetic, are actually increasing wear because the bearings aren't being lubricated in the way they are meant to be.

Secondly, do you mean to tell me there is no room for a spot of healthy cynicism from Joe Public when it comes to the auto industry?
I mean, Volvo dealers are regularly fobbing off unwary customers if it means they will spend a bit on a part (or parts) that may (or may not) fix their problem, instead of doing some investigating and sorting it out properly.
Also, I still retain the opinion that manufacturers are in the unique position of being able to say what they bl**dy want in their specs etc as no-one, except insiders, have anyway of disproving the fact that this is how it was designed. This is all the more relevant in this day and age where the biggest profit margins are in parts and servicing rather than in the original sale of the car.

By the way, what does my cat mean when he says "meeeeOOOOOWwwwyyll- rOOwwlll"? Its been bugging me, as he just sits at the door and won't go out but he makes this sound.

;-)
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2002, 19:22   #14
Mike Clift

Dan

If the Cat goes it will be very expensive to replace.

Keep taking the tablets.

Mike
Old Mar 8th, 2002, 21:49   #15
Dr Dolittle

Dan,

I work for RIcardo Consulting Engineers ... we design/develop/test engines and vehicles for many and varied manufacturers around the world . We were heavily involved in the base engine design for the new Volvo D5.

Its a pretty cr#p website but check out www.ricardo.com if at all interested - the Product Group sections probably contail most of the "interesting" technical stuff.

All the best

Dr D
Old Mar 9th, 2002, 00:16   #16
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Just out of interest, Dr.D, do you work at the Shoreham establishment or is there another one elsewhere?

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:28   #17
dr d

Peter,

I work at the Shoreham site (I have given a few evening tours to the VOC Sussex Section - have we met ?)

We also have sites at Shoreham Airport (Ricardo Vehicle eng) Leamington (Transmission Services), Prague(Design and anaysis centre), Detroit and Chicago (V8 engineering ... !) , but Shoreham is the original site where Sir Harry did all his best work e.g. designed the Comet diesel combustion system, studied engine knock and developed the fuel octane rating system, did the cylinder heads for racing Triumphs and Harley Davidsons etc etc etc

All the best

Dr D
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:24   #18
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Mike.
I meant my cat, as in feline!
Dr Dolittle can talk to the animals can't he? I was only wondering what my cat was saying....Only thing is I might have spelt it wrong.
;-)

About the tablets.....which do you recommend this week?

;-)

Later,
Dan.
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 10:28   #19
Dan F
Premier Member

My oil was back at just below max again this Sat morning....Oh well at least it is starting to show a pattern (hopefully).

Dan.
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 13:19   #20
Mav_UK

Dr D, would that be the Triumph bikes, or the 8 port Spitfire heads? Just wondered as a friend of mine brought one of the works cylynder heads for his racing spitfire he is building, a replica of AUB 3B, winner of Lemans I think (spelling isn't my speciality sorry). It's quite amazing the power you can get from a 1.3 NA engine wityh one of those heads and some intersting engineering!

Stu