Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil & Filter

Views : 2222

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 17:36   #1
volvo850t5

Duckhams QXR semi synthetic oil & filter £15 at National Tyres.
Bargain!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2002, 20:20   #2
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: Oil & Filter

Hi,

I personally wouldn't waste my money on that, especially if you have a turbo beastie! If you want quality go to Halfords and get Mobil 1 fully synthetic and a Champion Filter for £45.00. It would cost you if you did the job yourself at least 60 quid and then you have to dispose of the duff stuff.

I asked the question "which oil should i use in my engine ?" when i last visited the engine factory. There reply was to use a Fully Synthetic oil.

This is why i have 172k on this car and my pervious 188k with no problems using synthetic. You pays your money and face the consequences.

Just my opinion.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2002, 18:50   #3
dr dolittle

Hi Mark,

What's your line of business ?

Dr D
Old Apr 13th, 2002, 18:59   #4
markas
VOC Member

Hi Dr D,

if you insist on being nosey :-), i am a freelance computer consultant and out of necessatity i have had to learn how to service my car as i don't like paying the dealers big bills.

Still learning a lot everyday...
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:31   #5
Mav_UK

Whilst I would go for fully synthetic I would not pay the money for Mobil 1. A fully synth oil that mathces the spec should be more than good enough for your needs (and you can change it more regularly as it costs less), and more frequent oil changes are V healthy for cars. Also an oil filter is an oil filter, why spend huge amounts of money on it?

Rather than use Halfords, try a trade motor factor - most will deal with the public for trade, and you get huge discounts compared with retail places.

Stu
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:02   #6
Adrian

Esso Ultron is a semi synth that excceds the Volvo Spec and can be bought for near half the price of Mobil 1 which is on the same shelf in my local Esso Garage.

I currently run Mobil one but am switching over as my pocket loves to hold onto potentially wasted cash!

Loz

850 T5 CD Auto - The Devil's Playgound }>
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:57   #7
Dave_G

Beware!!! not all oil filters are the same. Some cheap ones don't have an anti-drain valve and allow all the oil to drain out when the engine is switched off. I know this shouldn't be too much of a problem as the oil filter faces up over, but just thought I'd point it out. For peace of mind, I'm sticking with a volvo oil filter.
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 15:01   #8
a15htn

Yeukk....... Semi-Synth ?? Shouldn't that only go in tractors ?

Seriously though, I'd be a bit sus' of putting semi-synth in a Turbo motor...heat, stress, aggro...broken turbine etc etc x(
Maybe I'll take my own oil and filter to National Tyre and give 'em a tenner to fit it !

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 15:48   #9
alexzoutsos

Just to say don't always assume oil is cheaper at a motor factor instead of Halfords. In the case of Mobil 1 and Castrol I phoned round 3 local auto factors (Camberley Auto Factors, A.R.E and can't remember the other ones name) and the oils were cheaper at Halfords than at any of these.!
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 18:48   #10
noiseboy
VOC Member

Hey Dudes... couple of interesting facts I found about Halfords when talking to a guy in the trade who knows about these things......... ;)

Halfords 5w40 synthetic is just leftovers of stuff like fully synthetic Esso Ultron, Mobil, GTX Magnatec.... the refiners just put leftover barrels from a batch into "own brand" containers for a multitude of manufacturers.....

Also...., Halfords own filters are made for them by FRAM who are one of the best, so DO make sure it's fully synthetic in your turbo engine, but DONT worry about buying from Halfords, it's OK stuff.

I let my volvo guy do 10k services with Volvo filters and Esso Ultron cos thats what they use, then I do a 5k intermediate jobbie at halfords for about £35 quid all in (and a couple of quid for the ally washer for the sump bolt).

Works for my pocket, and for my turbo!

Peace & Love

Phil :-)
www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote