Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil & Filter

Views : 2218

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 19:24   #11
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: Oil & Filter

Hi all,

Well i am glad i have put the cat among the pigeons :-) Anyway for the record you should NOT go back to Semi if you have been running with full, the seals don't normally like it to much!

When i used to have my old 1990 460gli, yes someone had to buy them. I used to change my oil myself every 3k with Castrol gtx3 with volvo filters or champions and the plugs every 6k as it looked like my coffee in a morning BLACK.

Today as the sump nut is a bugger to get to, its just cheaper to get halfords to do it. Original you got the stuff of the shelf and then they did the job. These days to keep my TRACK Record update they use oil barrels instead. There is a car shop around the corner who sells Mobil none UK made, much cheaper but no good for my log book.

Before my 850 days i used to live in southern germany and when you have minus - 35c nights. Then in the morning your tank starts with out any problems and continue to tank it at 100+ mph for miles on end on the autobahns its worth every penny.

Mark- exbrummie in leeds.
uk voc 850glt 2l 20v and a few mods 172k...
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 23:03   #12
Richard Swinney

Hi folks,

Can't comment on filter quality coz i have not had it done, but kwikfit wanted £27 for oil and filter change on my T6.

I double checked and they were positive it was fully synthetic oil (mobil 1) and a motor factors supplied filter.

I checked another kwikfit location and they quoted the same.

For you t5'ers out there this may be a good deal, but methinks when they see my car they will revise the price or refuse.

On the T6, the sump guard prevents easy fitter access to the filter and the sump itself is big compared to their standards, so nearly 7 litre of Mobil 1 is good value for me.

A work colleague had his 2.5t done for £27 as well.

Regards

Richy

Richard Swinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:59   #13
Mav_UK

Alex, were they trade or retail? I have only used retail when I wanted something on a Sunday as they are a: not as cheap as trade, and b: generally not as knowledgable as what they are selling. The one I used in Leicester has changed names and I can't remember what the new name is..... It was Eddie Walker (I think it's been a few years since I had to buy in the UK) but they were cheap, for proper kit, my dad's been using them for years both for his work and his own cars. Course shopping round with your fingers is also a good idea to get the best deal.

As for the filters - learnt something new, I though that kind of thing stopped with the old Triumphs (crank for 15 secs min before using choke to start the car and you make your engine last a lot longer).

Stu
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:26   #14
alexzoutsos

Erm I'm not quite sure really Stu, I would call them trade but not sure if that's the correct term!

They are the typical 'car place' with a small counter, piles of stock in a mini-warehouse behind and they expect you to have a trade account, although they do do cash sales.

I've seen quite a few of their vans going round to main dealers supplying bits so I would assume they are what as classed as trade. Certainly not anything like Halfords or Les Smith.
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 13:21   #15
Mav_UK

Sounds like the trade palces I know, how strange! I'll have to remember if I have to get some bits whilst in the UK.....
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 21:32   #16
swells

Hello there,
I've just bought 5lts of Halfords own fully synthetic oil for £19.49.
They have it on offer at the moment (at Loughborough, anyway), so it seems to me to be better value than the 'recognised' semi-synthetics.
Now no doubt someone will tell me that it's not good enough for my V70R...I hope not!
At that sort of money it's got to be worth changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals, especially as I tend to do more stop-start and idle motoring than motorway cruising.

Now, does anyone know if it's normal to get a very slight amount of oil seepage from the bottom of what I assume to be the intercooler?
The mechanicals on my old 240 GLT estate (1988 vintage, and sold with 257000 miles on the clock)were something I could understand, but I'm still not absolutely certain of what's what on this 'modern' motor!
The radiator assembly seems to comprise of 3 units,- presumably the coolant radiator, the intercooler, and something to do with the air-con? Anyway, there is an oily grime on the bottom of the black plastic base of one of these units, and I'm wondering if this is normal. The car's done 95000 now.
Regards,
Steve.
Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:17   #17
alexzoutsos

Yes it is normal to get a little oil seepage from the intercoolers on the t5s/r's, this is a design feature (there is an oil weep hole).
Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:02   #18
icurnow

Not quite up to your performance level, but I'm hoping that you lot with all your 'oily knowledge' can answer a question for me. I've bought a exlease v70 TDI 1999 with 82000 on the clock. I want to look after my new baby and intend to do the oil soon... should I choose a synthetic to keep the turbo happy or should I use Castrol GTD magnetex because its made for Diesels?

Thats my dilema, any ideas?

Thanks Ian
Old Apr 17th, 2002, 16:32   #19
markas
VOC Member

Hi,

Without promoting Mobil oil again, they do do a slighty heaver oil for the Turbo. They are the same properities as the standard weighting synthetic oil.

After already mentioning this in another topic, i asked this question of Volvo at their Volvo Engine factory. Their reply was use fully syn if you can afford it. If you change mid-drift you can get oil leak problems through some of your seals, so be warned.

hope this helps.

mark.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2002, 22:47   #20
AndyF

Hi,
You guys have got me worried now, I've been topping my T5R up (small amounts) with GTX Magnatec 10/40 left over from my old saab, I don't know what oil was in the car to start with. Is this Ok.
Also, I remember from my 2-Stroke Bike days (Kawasaki Triples Forever !!) that it was bad news to replace mineral oil with synthetic without flushing the system. If mixed they used to emulsify, is this still the case ?

Andy F.

'95 Yellow T5-R Saloon