Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF, Where to look first

Views : 3202

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 16:21   #11
Bigblue74

Cheers guys
I’ve ordered the temp sensor, I have two by the manifold but they’re very different so I guess it’s only one it can be as one is 17mm and the other 22mm
Bigblue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 03:52   #12
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Things to check before forcing a regen.
Boost leaks,
Glow plugs, all function,
Swirl flaps are connected and functioning
Injectors, leak off test. One may be leaking off more causing smoke.
Egr and egr function.
Dpf pressure sensor not faulty.

Dpfs don't just clog and unclog. They clog for a reason. Short journeys is the main cause.

Above is the second cause. ALL ignition/emission systems must work before a car will do a passive regen. Vida will be required to do a forced regen and will definitely help in this diagnosis.
The more it clogs, the more likely it'll need to be physically removed and cleaned. A vida regen is like they say brutal, and can be done from cold. Oh boy, it'll warm your car up alright! Set aside at least 30 minutes and a few ****ed off neighbours, put the heater on and enjoy the show!

Alternatively, be naughty, get it cut open, gutted and mapped out along with the egr. You'll be able to tell then if you have boost/injector issues 😉😉.
Yes, we know, illegal, blah blah blah... (before the warriors warm up their keyboards) This isn't a good option, as it's a royal potch to sort out.

Last edited by monkeh; Feb 14th, 2022 at 03:59.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 09:51   #13
Bigblue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Things to check before forcing a regen.
Boost leaks,
Glow plugs, all function,
Swirl flaps are connected and functioning
Injectors, leak off test. One may be leaking off more causing smoke.
Egr and egr function.
Dpf pressure sensor not faulty.

Dpfs don't just clog and unclog. They clog for a reason. Short journeys is the main cause.

Above is the second cause. ALL ignition/emission systems must work before a car will do a passive regen. Vida will be required to do a forced regen and will definitely help in this diagnosis.
The more it clogs, the more likely it'll need to be physically removed and cleaned. A vida regen is like they say brutal, and can be done from cold. Oh boy, it'll warm your car up alright! Set aside at least 30 minutes and a few ****ed off neighbours, put the heater on and enjoy the show!

Alternatively, be naughty, get it cut open, gutted and mapped out along with the egr. You'll be able to tell then if you have boost/injector issues 😉😉.
Yes, we know, illegal, blah blah blah... (before the warriors warm up their keyboards) This isn't a good option, as it's a royal potch to sort out.
Thanks for the reply, I only have the icarsoft pro diagnostic tool, however I’ve done a full code read then cleared the faults done a test drive and re read anything that comes up, tbf it’s quite comprehensive and gives in-depth into each category
The only things that come back up are dpf related, temp sensor reading to high and a pressure imbalance which I’m guessing is the blockage causing that.
I can’t find any boost leaks tbf, I used my friends smoke tester and couldn’t find any leaks
It’s very strange because there is no eml on and the car will eventually rev past 3k but extremely limited power, when I accelerate gently in 1st and second it drives fine but as soon as I drive to pull onto the motorway in third it takes an absolute age to get going, there is just no power, I was actually slower than a loaded truck getting up to speed
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 09:54   #14
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Check to see if your swirl flap linkage has come off, it may have failed shut the lack of power could be "limp mode"
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 10:00   #15
Bigblue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Check to see if your swirl flap linkage has come off, it may have failed shut the lack of power could be "limp mode"
Thanks I’ll look into that, is it an easy repair ??
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 15:00   #16
Bigblue74

Just had a very quick look around for the swirl flap arm and literally can’t even find it, I’ve checked YouTube etc and they are all around by the timing belt pulley/ oil filter but there is no sign of any linkage or motor etc on mine, where should I be looking ?? Very confusing lol
Do they still have them on 2010 model ?
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 15:18   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue74 View Post
Just had a very quick look around for the swirl flap arm and literally can’t even find it, I’ve checked YouTube etc and they are all around by the timing belt pulley/ oil filter but there is no sign of any linkage or motor etc on mine, where should I be looking ?? Very confusing lol
Do they still have them on 2010 model ?
no because they have twin turbochargers .
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 15:29   #18
Bigblue74

That’ll be why I can’t find it then lol, I didn’t know they were twin turbo tbh, I looked into getting one that was 230 hp (ish) , mine is only 185 😞, but at the moment it’s nowhere near that , my classic Ford anglia which is standard leaves it for dead lol
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 16:35   #19
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no because they have twin turbochargers .
Certain? According to the info I've seen the 2.4D has the D5244T14 engine, with just one turbocharger.
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 17:02   #20
Bigblue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
Certain? According to the info I've seen the 2.4D has the D5244T14 engine, with just one turbocharger.
Getting worried now because I’ve just looked and mine has just one 😳