Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am I playing with fire?

Views : 9447

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:04   #1
bananarama

Default Am I playing with fire?

Guys and girls...

Every month, for the past few months, have been replacing just over 900ml of old ATF with new ATF, without resetting the computer etc. The rationale is that slowly rejuvenating the ATF will give the computer more than enough time to adjust to the changes.

Is this sound, or am I pushing my luck?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Guys and girls...

Every month, for the past few months, have been replacing just over 900ml of old ATF with new ATF, without resetting the computer etc. The rationale is that slowly rejuvenating the ATF will give the computer more than enough time to adjust to the changes.

Just get it done properly ! why are you diluting new clean oil with dirty old oil? :-)
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 12:32   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I assume that a full drain of an auto box including the torque converter would need workshop equipment. I suppose that for DIY on the front drive it is probably easier to just dump what isn't in the torque converter and replace it and over a period of time the old oil gets less and less dirty. Possibly better than doing nothing if you cannot afford to pay a garage to do the job. Or is there a pitfall that I have missed?
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 12:41   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Firstly, you wont cause any damage by not resetting the TCM adaptations, but you might not get the best results.

If you want to do partial changes rather than a full flush (which is a perfectly acceptable approach) assuming it's a TF80 you would normally drop as much as would come out (3~3.5 L) and then replace exactly the same amount in new fluid. Drive 50-100 miles, repeat twice, then you will have fluid that is ~90% new.

It's best practice to reset the TCM adaptations and that does give the best results but if you don't have the diagnostics to do that or the funds to get a garage to do that - I would still do the fluid changes as it will extend the life of your gearbox.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 13:56   #5
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Just get it done properly ! why are you diluting new clean oil with dirty old oil? :-)
And oh boy is it dirty!
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 14:23   #6
bananarama

Unfortunately money is tight hence my current method. I've assumed the "adaptations" will adapt to the (slowly) changing fluid even though I haven't reset anything, but it's just an assumption, so I may be (very) wrong. I'm only dropping ~900ml at a time because I'm only removing the little torx screw.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 19:46   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

You'd be better dropping as much as possible as per Tannaton's advice. 900 ml is never going to get you to the tipping point
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 20:55   #8
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Guys and girls...

I've done this sort of thing loads of times in the past - I can't see a problem - even if the level is a bit out I don't see a problem - and the transmission is adaptive - it'll adapt! I do something similar with my XC90 T8. I bought it at 60K miles it's coming up to 90K the fluid looks better now than when I bought it with 10K interval partial drain and top-ups (I do the partial drain and top-up with each (10K) oil change - even though I've never done a multi-flush. I've been using the AS.1 spec Comma fluid - not the official Volvo stuff. I'll probably be lynched by the Volvorati at some point for the sacrilege! I will probably do a multi-flush at 90K miles and then drop to 20K intervals for refreshes thereafter. The fluid was pitch black when I bought the car - it has a hint of red now.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 20:57   #9
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That's always the case - the transmission holds about 12 litres you can only get about 4 litres out with a sump drain.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 21:07   #10
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
You'd be better dropping as much as possible as per Tannaton's advice. 900 ml is never going to get you to the tipping point
Unless you're driving the car really hard, I suspect 900ml of fresh fluid monthly will be a net-benefit to the health of the fluid - ie it'll remove more suspended crap from the fluid than gets accumulated in a month. Go for it - it's certainly going to do no harm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post: