Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The art of Chip Tuning.

Views : 16331

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 22:37   #11
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

Smile

just stumbled on this thread on VPC

page 3 shows what can go wrong, although as justin says

Quote:
There are no safety features with pre fly by wire cars >99

I know this because i had my first T5 (S70) chipped by them and before i had got the car home (21 miles) due to the ecu sending all the wrong signals i had a hole burnt in the top of my piston the size of a 5p piece. They paid for the replacement piston and ancillaries as it was thier fault and also removed the "Not so super chip of thiers"
so garage took responsibility and sorted his car out.

Last edited by cookie; Sep 10th, 2007 at 22:40.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 20:44   #12
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I suggest anyone with a modified turbo car runs a wideband AFR meter (i.e. which gives a true air-fuel ratio read-out, not just a load of pretty lights connected to a narrowband which means next to nothing), and possibly an exhaust gas temp setup as well.

Strictly speaking, assuming you're not on the threshold of detonation otherwise, you *can* run really quite lean in boost...buuuuuut....it adds a LOT of heat....take it too far, and you get melted pistons. I'd say up to a few psi you can stay at 14.7 right to redline...and I'm quite sure a few OEMs do exactly that to save fuel and curb emissions. This is where extensive testing allows OEMs to work out the safe limits.

On full load, anything less than mid 13s (x:1 AFR) is really asking for trouble!

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 12:45   #13
Nuisance
VOC Member

So what about running 14.7:1 @ 18-20 PSI? up to 4000 rpm?

It's gotta be getting hot in there.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:55.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 22:09   #14
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuisance View Post

But then again, isn't that just as it was intended, so isn't this 'perfectly safe'???

I'd have thought the red dotted line was a bit of a give-away, especially if the data acquisition software has it incorporated there in the first place?

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Sep 14th, 2007 at 22:11.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:57   #15
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuisance View Post

Actually, thinking about it, you have to count yourself very lucky because you have an ME7 equipped car. I've seen datalogs of how quick the ME7 system responds to different situations and as much as I hate to say it, that could very well be the reason why your engine is still in one piece, and the other, from the similarly tuned Motronic equipped car gave up the ghost soon after its owner picked it up and melted a piston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
just stumbled on this thread on VPC

page 3 shows what can go wrong, although as justin says

so garage took responsibility and sorted his car out.
Indeed, I wonder what he would have had felt / said / done if Superchips were to tell him where to go since they had already had his money!

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 15:00   #16
Nuisance
VOC Member

The result was very quick, but something just didn't feel right from the start. The car felt as if it wanted to do more, and occasionally hinted at what it could do.
When it was cold it was blindingly fast, but sort of weakened off when it warmed up.

I do wonder about this engine now, and will probably get it changed. It feels OK, but without seeing inside it I can't tell what damage may have occured.

The ME7 is indeed a very good bit of kit. When I got this car it had it's wastegate stuck shut, but the ECU managed to protect it.

There is much controversy and confusion over what map Chris had and the tuner seems to be keeping it that way. VT have insisted that they mapped Chris's to 12:1 but cannot deny that mine was in excess of 14.7:1 I can't call it, other than to say why do two virtually identical setups, one at 12:1 and another at 14.7:1 I smell a rat!

The diference with the MTE map is blinding. the car is spot on. There are other things that need sorting now, I'm just glad all that is behind me. I've lost a few grand in the process, but theres no point crying over spilt milk.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

People are a problem.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 15:14   #17
Nuisance
VOC Member

I guess this proves the car was running lean.

This was averaged over a journey of 300 miles.

And on the VT map I was constantly throwing codes, {Main system catylist efficiency below threshold}

To summarize:

People are a problem.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 15:53   #18
don kalmar union
Trader

Default A story with legs...

There are further developements on www.t5d5.org

I have to say that the point has been aired there that some well established forums have been very, very reticent to host any posts whatsoever on this subject and therefore really letting down the Volvo community.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Sep 16th, 2007 at 18:25.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 16:56   #19
PNuT
MaDMaN

i find it slightly ironic what mikest5r has to say about the vpcuk forum
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 17:19   #20
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

While accepting the ME7 control system is superior (mainly due to MAP sensors and the ECU’s ability to control throttle opening) when operating correctly to the older Bosch 4.4, it’s a bit unfair to condemn the 4.4 to the dustbin just because certain engines have failed as mine has done an excellent job quite a few times when having to contend with s—t petrol and extreme ambient temps before and after it was mapped modified etc.

Cheers