Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suspension Upgrade volvo s60 2.0T

Views : 4070

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 21:51   #1
Gen_Billy

Default Suspension Upgrade volvo s60 2.0T

Having upgraded my wheels to 18 inch, I plan to lower my car and improve its handling.

Looking around so far it seems people are going for Koni FSD and Eibach springs. Is this the best combination. I hope not to lower it more than 30mm.

Can anyone tell me if this is the best way to go. My local garage has said it will cost me £995 to install + parts and take 3 to 4 hours to do.

What are peoples views on the handling afterwards?

I was planning to go for IPD Anti Roll Bars initially but felt I wanted to make my car look more aggresive by lowering it. I could just go with only the Eibach springs which will cost me £382 for labour and parts but will the stock dampers be able to support it over time?

I currently have mud flaps, will I be forced to removed them when I lower my car?

Since the car will be 30mm lower, I assume you need to be very cautious on those speed humps and potholes. Will you need to go over them really slow, and is there any chance of ground rubbing?

Does anyone know what other parts I should also change well I am upgrading at the same time?

Drop Link? Bushes?

I will really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me.

Cheers

Billy

Volvo S60 2002 2.0T
Gen_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:37   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Have a look here: http://forums.t5d5.org/forum/53-suspension/?

I replaced the existing shocks on my V70 D5 with OEM (Sachs front/Boge rear) plus Eibach Pro springs. Also and drop links plus new rubber top mounts (since then I've also had IPD arbs fitted).

Sits about 30mm lower than stock. Handling is fine and retains the long distance comfort. I've not had any problems with the local council tank traps where I live although the one just outside my local indy catches the undertray at times .

I think your local garage is talking the micky with that price. £995 PLUS parts
Way too much, a quarter of that is more like it.

Eibachs were <£200 and the shocks cost me <£300 although that was from a friend who worked at EuroCarParts ( he got me Febi top mounts as well). I think I paid about £650 all in.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 21:58   #3
Gen_Billy

Thanks for the advice.

The only reason I considered that garage is because its fixed price. Where some garages charge by the hour.

Do you know anywhere that will do a good job and be relatively cheap then?

There was a deal that had Koni FSD and Eibachs set together. Anyone knows a good place where I can buy that combo.

Cheers

Billy
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:00   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Default IPD bars, Eibach springs, Bilstein dampers etc.

I can offer you all of these from stock in London and possibly suggest a firm who will fit them for you at sensible prices.

It is possibly overkill to fit both Eibach lowered and uprated springs and the IPD bars. You might well consider fitting just the rear bar as that will improve steering response, turn in etc.

A full set of Bilstein dampers is a very serious consideration over the Konis as Bilstein do work with Eibach quite a bit and their respective products are well matched.

If you are concerned about traffic humps in London then you best consider just the bars as they will not shake you up as much asfitting beefier springs.

Best regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 22:57   #5
Gen_Billy

Hi Don,

I sent you a PM, but didnt get a reply,
Looking for a good deal
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 23:06   #6
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Kalmar Union prices.

Hello,

The prices are all shown on my website;

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...70-suspension/

You can call me on 020 8959 3230 if I can help further.

Best regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:28   #7
Gen_Billy

Thanks for that,

Whats the main difference between Koni FSD and Bilstein?
Koni FSD appear to be the most popular option around the community. I didnt see any Koni FSD's on your webpage.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 13:13   #8
Gen_Billy

Ive been offered another quote at another garage to do all 4 springs and shocks for £120
They say they do all cars, and volvos are not a problem.
You think I can trust them with my Volvo.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 18:00   #9
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Billy View Post
Thanks for that,

Whats the main difference between Koni FSD and Bilstein?
Koni FSD appear to be the most popular option around the community. I didnt see any Koni FSD's on your webpage.

You are quite correct I do not offer 'FSD's which I believe are not as good in many respects as Bilstein dampers and if you check, both here and at www.t5d5.org, you will find comment that is not too supportive from some Koni users.

Regards, Don.

www.kalmar-union.com
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 22:13   #10
turkish
I've Been Banned

I have the Koni FSD and Eibach spring set-up on my S60 T5. It is a fantastic kit and both Eibach and KONI products work very well together, which is probably why this is one of the more popular kits to buy for all cars, especially on BMW forums.

If you live down South, you are more than welcome to take the car for a ride.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote