Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D5 cut out and won't start

Views : 684

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2018, 20:54   #1
bigminiandy

Default C30 D5 cut out and won't start

Hi folks

Back last week we had a couple of occasions that our C30 D5 Auto wouldn't start. The first time was a cold engine and the second time a warm engine. Put the key in the dash turn it over and it turns but won't run. Then suddenly what seems like a 100 tries later and it starts randomly. On a third occasion we couldn't get it to start so called the RAC who came out and the only fault he could find we swirl flaps, the connecting rod has snapped, a common problem I'm told but shouldn't cause any issues other than not delivering optimum emissions (RACs words). After lots of messing by the RAC guy the car randomly starts but claims it was nothing to do with him.

This leads on to last night...... the car cuts out on the motorway in the fast lane. My wife described a sound like running over a pop bottle and then no power. She manages to get the car to the hard should and gets recoved by the RAC who still can't find a fault yet now refuses to start, it just turns over.

Has anybody experienced anything like this, ultimatley it'll have to go to a garage but I'd like to go armed with a little knowledge.
bigminiandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 21:47   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The first thing you do here is plug in VIDA and read all the stored fault codes.

As an alternative, close your eyes and fire the parts cannon of random engine parts at the car.

Meaning: VIDA is your eyes and ears. Anything else leaves you blind. And deaf.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 09:45   #3
bigminiandy

It's already had a VIDA read which unfortuantley shows nothing what so ever!!!

I had feared that it's going to be trial and error
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 11:28   #4
Yobbo
Dave

Sounds symptomatic of a battery and latterly the alternator dying.

Must have been terrifying for the Mrs!
I've been there and it wasn't too clever...
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 18:29   #5
bigminiandy

Thats what I thought initially so I got a new battery as the old one was more than likely 6 or 7 years old and I tested the charging rate of the alternator, nothing was wrong that I could see.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 11:56   #6
Yobbo
Dave

Further thoughts on this are that fuel supply MUST be being cut short, was the fuel filter changed recently?
It's entirely possible there may be a fault with the high pressure fuel pump if the latter checks out fine.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 13:33   #7
volvo for ever
Premier Member

what was codes
check cem for water ingress rule it out
your ecm is on nsf front bumper they were bad for internal corrosion water entry
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote