Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key fob low battery message

Views : 9365

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 18:26   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I will ring the dealer and see if they will replace it.
This guy had it replaced under warranty; see post #12: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281138
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 19:31   #12
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I keep my keys in the house too. Or maybe in my pocket which I estimate at a fairly constant 26c all year round.....

Anyway, both my fobs were displaying the low battery warning at pretty much the same time. About 32 months since delivery.

One fob is used all the time, one was virtually never used. I just switched fob when the first displayed the error message and within a week or two it was also displaying.

Which leads me to believe that batteries fail with time rather than usage.....
I am the same only ever using one fob and I have just changed the battery after 32 months as well! Haven't checked the spare one.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:38   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan View Post
I am the same only ever using one fob and I have just changed the battery after 32 months as well! Haven't checked the spare one.
Unless of course they don't communicate low battery to the car at all and the car is just programmed to display low fob battery after a fixed period of time.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 10:02   #14
Driver Dave

Yes think it was me Lexman8 is referring to in the previous post.

When we bought the car I asked the salesman how long the battery in the Sports Key would last, as it was a sealed unit, and was told to expect about 5 years. When mine failed after about 2 years and very little use it was replaced under warranty without any hassle.
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 10:41   #15
Lexman8
Premier Member

Batteries (and bulbs*) are usually excluded from warranties (unless they are faulty) and can normally be replaced at little cost or effort. But as the waterproof fob is sealed I reckon there's a strong case for it being replaced under warranty.

*LEDs are very expensive to replace but that's another story.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 18:18   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Water proof sports key fob Update:
After getting another "key fob battery low" message this morning I decided I had nothing to lose so I carefully ran a stanley knife blade round the fob until I managed to prise apart the cover to replace the battery.
The original battery was spot welded to its contacts on both sides so I had to prise the edge of the contacts up enough to get a grip with a pair of long nose pliers and wind and peel the contacts back like opening a tin of corned beef, this did the trick and the tiny spot welds parted (they were held on very well, enough to pull the back of the old battery up before parting).

I replaced the battery with a CR 2032 cell, I took the yellow plastic from the old battery and fitted it around the edge of the new battery, it prevents a possible short circuit from top positive contact to the negative side edge of the battery, I have just fitted the battery without soldering the contacts to the battery as the cover held them tightly in place.

After testing it worked ok I super glued the cover back on and ran some black tape around the edge to prevent any dust etc getting in, I gave the fob a good test by dropping and banging it around to make sure battery contacts stayed in place and jobs a goodun.
The fob is always in my trouser pocket and is never seen so not bothered about how it looks with the tape around it but it actually looks ok.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:41   #17
Begonia

My wife and I have 'mostly' now stopped using our keys and instead:

1. We approach the car and touch the chrome metallic part of the door handles to Open

and

2. When leaving, we touch the dimple in the door handle to Lock the vehicle.

We are now under the assumption we are not using the key fob battery quite so much. Yes?
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:52   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post
My wife and I have 'mostly' now stopped using our keys and instead:

1. We approach the car and touch the chrome metallic part of the door handles to Open

and

2. When leaving, we touch the dimple in the door handle to Lock the vehicle.

We are now under the assumption we are not using the key fob battery quite so much. Yes?
No , it still needs to send out the signal to tell the car you are stood by the door ...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:32   #19
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I replaced the battery with a CR 2032 cell, I took the yellow plastic from the old battery and fitted it around the edge of the new battery, it prevents a possible short circuit from top positive contact to the negative side edge of the battery, I have just fitted the battery without soldering the contacts to the battery as the cover held them tightly in place.
Nice job! Perhaps silicone would make a good seal and be easier to open the next time...
I feel that Volvo should have made the battery accessible.
Polar heartbeat monitors have it, so it can be done.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 15:55   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Nice job! Perhaps silicone would make a good seal and be easier to open the next time...
I feel that Volvo should have made the battery accessible.
Polar heartbeat monitors have it, so it can be done.
Silicone would make a good seal but takes too long to set and remains flexible and may be a bit messy, the superglue was instant and holds ridgid, it makes for a better finish too, maybe a small smear of black silicone around the seam after supergluing together instead of the black tape.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post: