Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 - a couple of questions.....

Views : 3797

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 22:52   #11
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
For point #5, you can choose what's displayed on the HUD, from a predefined list. See: Head-up display*
I read that ... but ti doesn't say anything about the rev counter view I am 99% certain that I saw. Petrol only?
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 22:54   #12
al dm

Quote:
For Point #2, I believe you are referring to this: A dynamic symbol in the driver display
That's the one! Many thanks. I have never seen it change shape yet, so was wondering what it was.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 22:56   #13
al dm

Quote:
With your own data SIM, you can download the smaller UK map via the cellular network. I use a Three data SIM in my car, and the car prompts me and downloads the UK map updates over the air, as they are tiny and normally around 150 to 200 MB.
Thanks. Maybe I am getting upgrade notices because other regions that I don't use are updated. UK doesn't even show in the list (although I thin it's classified as Northern Europe or some such?).

Or maybe I already have the latest UK mapping.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 23:06   #14
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
Pilot Assist and/or Adaptive Cruise Control use a maximum speed, set by you and adapts the speed of the car depending on the speed of the car in front of you. No car in front, it will travel at the set maximum speed. In these modes, the car will not slow from a higher speed, to a lower speed, depending on the speed limit.

The Automatic Speed limiter, once set will limit the car to the current speed limit, using the road signs, along the road.
Thanks - and that is also my understanding.

BUT - I was kind of under the impression that the Road Sign Assistance (or whatever it's called - Automatic Speed Limiter in any normal parlance) would override PA/ACC to keep you within speed limits.

As an example, let's say I am on a motorway, I have Pilot Assist on and Cruise set for an 80 mph maximum. Sure, if I come up on slower traffic I slow down, and if they move over out of the way I speed up to 80mph again.

So if I then pass under a gantry with a 50mph sign, should the car slow to 50 after paying the gantry? Because I am not sure this is what it it doing. Needs more testing though.

And finally....if we move from a 50mph zone to a 70mph zone, should the car speed back up again - subject of course to the maximum speed set in the cruise control ??
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 00:32   #15
Ringthane
VOC Member

Unfortunately, PA and ACC are independent of The Automatic Speed Limiter.

If you are on a motorway, doing 70, with PA or ACC and you come into a 50 zone, you won’t automatically slow down.

When you access the three functions in the driver display, you can select only one at a time.

It would be nice if Automat speed limiter was a sub function of the other two, but it is discrete.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:41   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
That's the one! Many thanks. I have never seen it change shape yet, so was wondering what it was.
It doesn't as much change shape as change symbol completely to indicate whatever it needs to. I think it changes to a white background with a foot on the brake when appropriate as a 'for instance'.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:56   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

The automatic speed limiter does work in conjunction with the intelligent cruise control, which must first be actuated, and limits the speed to whatever the camera and/or navigation sees as the speed limit at the time. This speed is indicated in the head-up display and as a border that moves appropriately around the speedometer bezel.

Unfortunately I find it a pain to have working. For three main reasons.

1. It slows you down late, after the speed limit sign, and does so rather sharply.

2. The speed limit shown is often not accurate and it may show 30 in a 40 limit, or miss those flashing variable signs around schools and so on. It never gets variable limits that are lower than the maximum, as shown on overhead motorway gantries either.

3. Intelligent cruise control is of limited use on rural roads with lots of bends unless you are following traffic which slow down for those bends. So best leave cruise control off and therefore the automatic variable speed limiter is not actuated either.

You can use the manual speed limiter as an alternative to cruise control of course. Useful to limit you to the speed limit on rural roads and easily reset to a new limit when the limit changes. I never use this because I want the freedom to exceed the limit at my discretion, rightly or wrongly, and find no problem generally in driving the car at the speed I desire.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:49   #18
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I never use this because I want the freedom to exceed the limit at my discretion, rightly or wrongly, and find no problem generally in driving the car at the speed I desire.
:-) You sound like me. Sadly I have 6 points on my licence gained in the last 2 years, so I want to try and avoid any more.

Anyway....I have along journey tomorrow so will try and figure out how the auto speed limiter works.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 17:13   #19
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
The crowning glory though is the boot space. I have the 3rd row folded down and will probably almost never use it, and in this configuration it is an absolute palace for my 2 Deerhounds. This was the main reason I bought the XC90.
Do you have the dog guard and boot divider?? If not, avoid your and passengers deaths in the event of a crash and invest in them to save 2x 40kg dogs entering passenger space.

I have 2 big dogs and they rattle around in the boot. It's far safer to have the divider as it gives them something to lean on.

I bought mine from here https://www.volvopartshop.com/protec...ds-19418-p.asp

oh and a bumper scratch guard for those claws
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:46   #20
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Do you have the dog guard and boot divider?? If not, avoid your and passengers deaths in the event of a crash and invest in them to save 2x 40kg dogs entering passenger space.

I have 2 big dogs and they rattle around in the boot. It's far safer to have the divider as it gives them something to lean on.

I bought mine from here https://www.volvopartshop.com/protec...ds-19418-p.asp

oh and a bumper scratch guard for those claws
I don't have a dog guard yet. The Touareg that I used to have had much higher back seats (or lower roof) - in any case there was no way the dogs could gave come through the gap. But the Volvo is much more open so I am definitely going to buy a dog guard.

They seem to really enjoy the space in the Volvo. I have a piece of Vetbed covering the entire area, and as soon as they leap in, they just lie down and snuggle in the Vetbed. One of the dogs never used to lie down in the Touareg, but she has changed her behaviour completely in the luxurious environment she now has!