Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermostat question 1.9d please help

Views : 527

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 23:00   #1
mathewst

Default Thermostat question 1.9d please help

My thermostat is shot it seems.
Bought a new one (Mahle part), removed the old one.
New one doesn't have that bleed nipple as stated in manual.
Also the gasket is small and leaking all over the place now
The new gasket according to the mechanic goes around the thermostat egde (pulls on it cause it has a small grove in it).
If I put this on the new thermostat cannot slide it all the way it stays on the edge and when I put the cover cannot slide it all the way to screw it properly.
The thermostat I removed did not have this gaket at all, it had a large O-ring only with no groves and have no idea how it was mounted
This O-ring is larger than the hole where I put the thermostat it, thermostat slides a bit down.
According to vida the thermostat just slides in the housing and the (O-ring) goes on top of it then attach the hose and its housing.
But I cannot see anything that holds in place the old O-ring that I have (have no idea was this original or somebody just somehow stuck it there).

So here are my questions.
Do I throw away this groved new gasket and just somehow glue the old O ring till I mount the outer housing and hose?
If someone changed the thermostat on 1.9d engine please help
mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 00:05   #2
mathewst

Another question.
Is it possible the housing is leaking itself??
Have to go on a trip in two days and it is loosing a lot of fluid
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:54   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewst View Post
The thermostat I removed did not have this gaket at all, it had a large O-ring only with no groves and have no idea how it was mounted
This O-ring is larger than the hole where I put the thermostat it, thermostat slides a bit down.
According to vida the thermostat just slides in the housing and the (O-ring) goes on top of it then attach the hose and its housing.
But I cannot see anything that holds in place the old O-ring that I have (have no idea was this original or somebody just somehow stuck it there).
The O-ring just sits on top of the thermostat and the underside of the housing lid has a tapered lip/ring to compress the O-ring against the wall of the main housing.

Don't go mad when tightening the screws as the bronze captive nuts can come undone from the housing. Apply a little copper grease to the threads for ease. I think they're only ~ 8Nm or possibly less.

Did the stat you removed have a bleed nipple? If so try source a genuine stat or one with a bleed nipple otherwise you may run into difficulties trying to purge air from the system. I think it was MotoRad who manufactured the genuine Volvo thermostats for the diesel X40.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 21:31   #4
mathewst

Thanks Baffler for the answer.
The mechanic torqued it ("underside of the housing lid has a tapered lip/ring") a way more with the stat I bought and it damaged this lip slightly
I bought another new thermostat from renault and this one came with 2 o-rings and some form of gasket
one O-ring with round edges, one O-ring with squared edges and with a few triangle shaped extensions and one gasket that attaches to the thermostat (it has a grove and can be pulled over the thermostat.
The new round O-ring if used still doesn't seem to be working (leaks badly if put)
I put the gasket that goes around the thermostat and screwed the housing back on, didn't torque it hard.
Now it is still getting damp from underside of the housing but at least not driping.
The mechanic said to come back tomorrow and he again wants to screw it hard, says it is the way to go??
Both new thermostats I bought don't have bleed nipples.

Is the orientation of the thermostat important when you put it in the car?
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 07:19   #5
lynns hubby
Master Member

Hi there, I assume by bleed nipples you mean the small pin that sits in the centre plate of the thermostat. Normally referred to as jiggle pins .I have never seen a thermostat with out a pin in it.
Yes it is important to get it in the right way and not upside down. Is it possible you have got it the wrong way round and that is why you are having trouble sealing it. It could be bottoming out in the housing.
Would have thought your mechanic would know what way round to fit it though.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 11:11   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
The mechanic torqued it ("underside of the housing lid has a tapered lip/ring") a way more with the stat I bought and it damaged this lip slightly
It will never seal with the lip damaged as it can't compress the o-ring 100%. You're going to need a new or good secondhand cap/lid.

Quote:
I bought another new thermostat from renault and this one came with 2 o-rings and some form of gasket
one O-ring with round edges, one O-ring with squared edges and with a few triangle shaped extensions and one gasket that attaches to the thermostat (it has a grove and can be pulled over the thermostat.
These extra o-rings and gaskets are for different applications. You just use the one relevant to your car.

Quote:
The new round O-ring if used still doesn't seem to be working (leaks badly if put)
I put the gasket that goes around the thermostat and screwed the housing back on, didn't torque it hard.
Now it is still getting damp from underside of the housing but at least not driping.
As above...use the correct O-ring, or the original one you removed, and apply a light smear of Vaseline to ease assembly.

Quote:
The mechanic said to come back tomorrow and he again wants to screw it hard, says it is the way to go??

Quote:
Both new thermostats I bought don't have bleed nipples.
The stat you removed...does it have a bleed nipple/giggle pin? If so replace with same.

Quote:
Is the orientation of the thermostat important when you put it in the car?
You'll probably find it'll only go in one way and typically with the wax end (longer side) nearest the engine/head to absorb the heat from the coolant. Ideally with the bleed nipple/giggle pin at the highest point or the 12 o'clock position.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 19:20   #7
mathewst

Well I did sort it kind of
Both new thermostats didn't have the bleed nipple (I gues it is the part on the outer ring of thermostat sticking out.
I didn't have the original O-ring, someone before probably replaced the ring or thermostat, but the ring placed was quite wider than the thermostat and was glued to the housing somehow. I bought the car 6 months ago and it was loosing coolant but barely so this seemed to hold it.
I used the gasket that puls on the thermostat instead of O-ring, cause I don't have it, the one with the thermostat doesn't work. I also put some high temp sealant around that gasket ant thermostat and then screwed everything by hand as tightened only lightly with the key. Let it dry for 3 hours then tried it.
Got it to temp with collant tank opened and pressed the coolant tubes and refilled it
Everything is dry so far not a single drop anywhere after 20 miles.
I did order an oem O-ring from volvo but this won't arrive before next Friday.
I guess I will have to source also a new housing or atleast a cover of the housing in the future