Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6 Speed Auto service

Views : 2126

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 21:33   #11
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Slightly off topic but what about Haldex oil changes? Something else that isn't offered or suggested?

Last edited by GusGecko; Dec 18th, 2018 at 21:55.
GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 21:34   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It's all hearsay, the story goes around in circles even the service dept hear it and pass it on it seems !
It is coming up for the right time to do it then and you should get any gearbox software update on the volvo service ..
The last set of updates were done at the end of October when it was serviced. I’m not that impressed with the Autobox on my 60, the gear changes have settled down compared to how they were but the changes are a little odd at times but two Volvo dealers haven’t found any issues with the box allegedly.
Every once in a while I’ll get like a slipping in the low end of the box intermittently usually if I’ve stopped and then pulled straight away but again it’s an intermittent thing. It works faultlessly on manual mode and works great under hard acceleration, is it a quirk of this particular box? It’ll be interesting to see how it performs after an oil change

TT
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 21:57   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Slightly off topic but what about Halden oil changes? Something else that isn't offered or suggested?
No the Later angle gear and haldex unit ARE sealed for life and haven't given any trouble due to this over the last 17 years … If they are ever changed or removed for a clutch etc the oil is still completely clean being the best synthetic grade even if the pump intake can get blocked with a fatty substance on 2019 -16 models for some reason . I blame Ford :-)
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 00:13   #14
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
No the Later angle gear and haldex unit ARE sealed for life and haven't given any trouble due to this over the last 17 years … If they are ever changed or removed for a clutch etc the oil is still completely clean being the best synthetic grade even if the pump intake can get blocked with a fatty substance on 2019 -16 models for some reason . I blame Ford :-)
I had my Haldex and filter changed at 235k, I had done a suck out and fresh oil 5k miles beforehand and my garage said the inside was clean and the filter was not bad......
It's expensive peace of mind I suppose.
I did the angle gear as well, that was a horrible brown colour, don't know if that's as it should have been!
Did my misbehaving gearbox fluid and a lurchy hard changing box is now 95% better.
Can't beat fresh oil imho.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.

Last edited by luggsey; Dec 19th, 2018 at 00:14. Reason: Typo
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:34   #15
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Just had a call back from the Volvo dealer who said AT fluid doesn't need changing its a 'sealed unit' - since circa 2012 they don't need the fluid changed.......

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:59   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Just had a call back from the Volvo dealer who said AT fluid doesn't need changing its a 'sealed unit' - since circa 2012 they don't need the fluid changed.......
absolute lies ..can't get the staff these days ...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:03   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luggsey View Post
I had my Haldex and filter changed at 235k, I had done a suck out and fresh oil 5k miles beforehand and my garage said the inside was clean and the filter was not bad......
It's expensive peace of mind I suppose.
I did the angle gear as well, that was a horrible brown colour, don't know if that's as it should have been!
Did my misbehaving gearbox fluid and a lurchy hard changing box is now 95% better.
Can't beat fresh oil imho.
yes that's how it was when new ...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:29   #18
vad33

Quote:
It is not cheap 250+ it is far from just a drain and refill and if there is a software update it would be done on the service free software procedure .

Service advisers need educating more, after all it is a legitimate way of increasing their funds ...
Hi need some advice on changing auto gearbox oil V70 2006 2.4 diesel
Is 7l enough? is there are filter to replace?
Thanks
vad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:08   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad33 View Post
Hi need some advice on changing auto gearbox oil V70 2006 2.4 diesel
Is 7l enough? is there are filter to replace?
Thanks
No serviceable filter ..

yes 7 litres will be fine , it takes just under 4 litters to replenish if you just drain the gearbox , et as much as possible drain out , then start the engine for about 10 seconds with the drain plug out then another litre will come out , do this twice . put the drain plug in and add 2 litrs … do the same procedure again leaving a while for it to circulate and flush the system , then drain out again as per the first procedure .. you will have enough in the 4 litre bottle to top up then and have a nice red fluid .. .
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 14:08   #20
mbrain

Sorry, slightly off exact topic....

Is the later 8 speed auto 'Sealed for life'?
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote