Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random Starting Problems

Views : 1748

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:03   #1
Jimbear38

Unhappy Random Starting Problems

Hi All,

I am after some help with my V50. New to this forum and also to owning a Volvo so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

In short, I bought a 59 plate V50 R Design. Not long after I bought it, the car developed a problem starting. On some occasions it would take 7-8 turns of the key to start up. This was last august so while the engine was cold, the weather was far from chilly! I had to travel quite far to get the car so the garage I bought it from was a long way away. Despite this, they asked for the car to come back to them. I took video footage of the problem on several occasions as by then the problem was happening when the engine was hot as well. Typically they did not find any issue and the car then started right first time. I have it back and all was well for a couple of months. Then the issue happened again. On one instance, the car would not start at all so I had to call the AA. They got it going, flagging that there were no errors but the pressure seems a little low initially. Again, after this the car was ok for a month or 2.

In January the issue came back again. This time taking upwards of 15 turns of the key before it came to life. Every time the car did fire up, there was a nice puff of dark smoke suggesting that fuel was getting to the engine etc. The car would then run fine but as soon as I stopped it and tried to start it, it would take several attempts again even when hot.

I took the car into my Volvo garage, they connected it to the computer and saw no faults. They had it overnight and tried several cold starts but it fired up first time. They checked a certain valve to make sure that it was not sticking on start-up and all was ok there. Again, I had it for a week and it was fine but now it is being a complete pig to start again and on Friday failed to start altogether so I had to get a lift to work. When I came home, it started first time but the next morning took ages again.

It is going back into Volvo tomorrow for a new fuel filter as we are now doing trial and error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the garage I bought it from is not co-operating with me and it is costing me a fortune as although I took out extended warranty, it does not cover the investigation work it now appears so is pretty useless.

Kind regards

Jim
Jimbear38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 11:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbear38 View Post
Hi All,

I am after some help with my V50. New to this forum and also to owning a Volvo so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

In short, I bought a 59 plate V50 R Design. Not long after I bought it, the car developed a problem starting. On some occasions it would take 7-8 turns of the key to start up. This was last august so while the engine was cold, the weather was far from chilly! I had to travel quite far to get the car so the garage I bought it from was a long way away. Despite this, they asked for the car to come back to them. I took video footage of the problem on several occasions as by then the problem was happening when the engine was hot as well. Typically they did not find any issue and the car then started right first time. I have it back and all was well for a couple of months. Then the issue happened again. On one instance, the car would not start at all so I had to call the AA. They got it going, flagging that there were no errors but the pressure seems a little low initially. Again, after this the car was ok for a month or 2.

In January the issue came back again. This time taking upwards of 15 turns of the key before it came to life. Every time the car did fire up, there was a nice puff of dark smoke suggesting that fuel was getting to the engine etc. The car would then run fine but as soon as I stopped it and tried to start it, it would take several attempts again even when hot.

I took the car into my Volvo garage, they connected it to the computer and saw no faults. They had it overnight and tried several cold starts but it fired up first time. They checked a certain valve to make sure that it was not sticking on start-up and all was ok there. Again, I had it for a week and it was fine but now it is being a complete pig to start again and on Friday failed to start altogether so I had to get a lift to work. When I came home, it started first time but the next morning took ages again.

It is going back into Volvo tomorrow for a new fuel filter as we are now doing trial and error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the garage I bought it from is not co-operating with me and it is costing me a fortune as although I took out extended warranty, it does not cover the investigation work it now appears so is pretty useless.

Kind regards

Jim
It is 95% certain to be the "Certain Valve" sticking , they should have carried out the action they know about to prevent it happening again ! .. A well known problem ..
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 18:09   #3
Jimbear38

Hi Clan,

Thanks for the reply. This was the first thing Volvo looked at as they said they often stick and get clogged up. With that in mind, they said that mine was free from any clogging and was working perfectly ok.

Regards

Jim
Jimbear38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 18:26   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbear38 View Post
Hi Clan,

Thanks for the reply. This was the first thing Volvo looked at as they said they often stick and get clogged up. With that in mind, they said that mine was free from any clogging and was working perfectly ok.

Regards

Jim
It isn't the clogging which makes it stick it is the plastic housing which distorts and makes the plastic flap stick shut . they should have filed some material off the plastic throttle disc to give clearance as described in their service bulletin which covers this , . If they did nothing expect the same to happen again . take it back and explain to them what they should be doing ...

to prove if it is the flap or not , pull off the small black vacuum pipe going to the throttle flap for a few days . if it is ok then that is the problem ... ...
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 16:51   #5
macca67

Hi
sorry to show my ignorance, but what is the "certain valve" you are referring too. I have a 2006 V50 diesel which takes a long time to start when cold, wondering if this is the problem?. Many thanks.
macca67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 18:37   #6
martins91

I have similar problem. When cold (outside temperature -2 - +7) car starts with 3 - 5 attempts. When the car starts engine is sort of choking and thick white smoke is oming out of the exhaust. This choking and smoking continious for about 1-2 mintues and then the engine acts normaly.
martins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 17:30   #7
ozziedave100

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins91 View Post
I have similar problem. When cold (outside temperature -2 - +7) car starts with 3 - 5 attempts. When the car starts engine is sort of choking and thick white smoke is oming out of the exhaust. This choking and smoking continious for about 1-2 mintues and then the engine acts normaly.
My 2004 v50 diesel does the same. I've paid buckets for reconned injectors, ERG valves to be replaced and no one has every got to the bottom of it. Any clues/info/insights would be gratefully received.
ozziedave100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 20:04   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedave100 View Post
My 2004 v50 diesel does the same. I've paid buckets for reconned injectors, ERG valves to be replaced and no one has every got to the bottom of it. Any clues/info/insights would be gratefully received.
my post#4 above explains it ..
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 21:00   #9
ozziedave100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
my post#4 above explains it ..
Hi Clan,
Yes indeed, I get that, but I'm still in the dark as to which, what & where that "special valve" is.
Thanks
ozziedave100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 21:31   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

This is where it’s fitted to your engine, it’ll either be a singe or dual inlet pipe but both are in the same position on the engine. There’s a Red coloured arrow pointing to it in the picture.

This is what the butterfly valve housing looks like. It sits between the radiator and the front of the engine just under the plastic cover. It’s held in by three torx screws and you’ll have to unplug 2 plugs from the housing, a vacuum pipe and take off a hose from the induction system. It’s a straight forward job.

Remove it and you’ll see the butterfly housing inside. Remove the two sensors and get some carb cleaner, wash it out and get an old toothbrush to remove any stubborn carbon deposits. Get some sand paper or emery cloth and changer the edges of the butterfly flap. I shine a light up it and take enough off the edges until I can see a slight halo of light around the flap. Refit it and you’ll find it’ll never fail again. Don’t over tighten the jubilee clip because it’s possible to distort the housing which can also cause the problem.

Good luck

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Nov 7th, 2018 at 21:51.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.0 rdesign, starting issue, starting problems, v50