Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 2010 - Sudden loss of Power when accelerating

Views : 5424

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2016, 09:41   #1
JenCoug

Default C30 2010 - Sudden loss of Power when accelerating

Im new to this forum so first of all 'Hello' to you all. I've driven Volvo's since I first passed my test over 20 years ago. I currently own a C30 1.6 Diesel that I've owned from new. I've done around 58,800 miles in it and it's always run brilliantly.

Around 6 months ago I was travelling to work & was accelerating on the bypass (after re-joining from a roundabout) and had just changed gear at around 60mph when I felt the car was losing power. There was nothing at all when I accelerated, no warning lights or anything. I limped over to the inside lane at which point all the lights came on and the engine had cut out. I turned off the engine, sat a couple of minutes before re-starting. No warning lights on re-starting so I continued on my journey to work. I had a full tank of fuel, regularly check oil levels, coolant etc etc.

The car then ran perfectly for 3-4 months and no further problems before the same thing happened again on exactly the same stretch of road and location. It's done it again this week, same place and I never get any warning before or after. I'm concerned as I do go on motorways and I don't want it happening to me in the outside/overtaking lane, as has happened all occasions on the bypass.

I would appreciate any help/advice on this. I rang my mechanic and the local Volvo Dealership and neither had heard of the problem or what could be the cause.
JenCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 09:46   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCoug View Post
Im new to this forum so first of all 'Hello' to you all. I've driven Volvo's since I first passed my test over 20 years ago. I currently own a C30 1.6 Diesel that I've owned from new. I've done around 58,800 miles in it and it's always run brilliantly.

Around 6 months ago I was travelling to work & was accelerating on the bypass (after re-joining from a roundabout) and had just changed gear at around 60mph when I felt the car was losing power. There was nothing at all when I accelerated, no warning lights or anything. I limped over to the inside lane at which point all the lights came on and the engine had cut out. I turned off the engine, sat a couple of minutes before re-starting. No warning lights on re-starting so I continued on my journey to work. I had a full tank of fuel, regularly check oil levels, coolant etc etc.

The car then ran perfectly for 3-4 months and no further problems before the same thing happened again on exactly the same stretch of road and location. It's done it again this week, same place and I never get any warning before or after. I'm concerned as I do go on motorways and I don't want it happening to me in the outside/overtaking lane, as has happened all occasions on the bypass.

I would appreciate any help/advice on this. I rang my mechanic and the local Volvo Dealership and neither had heard of the problem or what could be the cause.
when did you last change the fuel filter? and what fault codes are stored?
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 09:55   #3
JenCoug

I'll be honest and say I've not taken it to a garage re: fault codes. I had intended to take it yesterday on my day off but my partner took the Volvo to work in the morning (so I could have the Hyundai ix35 as its easier with our 2 yr old to get her in and out of the car). It's on my to do list for next Friday. I'll have to check paperwork re:fuel filters as not sure. I'm sure they have been done as I asked my mechanic to check everything inc filters a couple of years ago when it was in for its service and MOT. Could it be something as 'simple' as a fuel filter but would that cause it to happen intermittently? I'm not 'techs with cars' although do check the basics.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 12:36   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCoug View Post
I'll be honest and say I've not taken it to a garage re: fault codes. I had intended to take it yesterday on my day off but my partner took the Volvo to work in the morning (so I could have the Hyundai ix35 as its easier with our 2 yr old to get her in and out of the car). It's on my to do list for next Friday. I'll have to check paperwork re:fuel filters as not sure. I'm sure they have been done as I asked my mechanic to check everything inc filters a couple of years ago when it was in for its service and MOT. Could it be something as 'simple' as a fuel filter but would that cause it to happen intermittently? I'm not 'techs with cars' although do check the basics.
fuel filter should be changed every 3 years or 36000 miles , they play up when you demand full power from the engine . On the other hand the fuel line could be sucking in air , lots of things to look at :-)
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 12:42   #5
JenCoug

Thanks Clan. I'll give my mechanic a ring on Monday morning and ask him to see if any fault codes are showing. I'll also ask him when the fuel filter was last changed. I'll dig out my paperwork as it will be on there somewhere. I'll post when I've got some results
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 19:11   #6
Bungo
Premier Member

Has it had the recall mod for the washer pump ?
For it to happen in the same location each time suggests it hasn't been.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 16:26   #7
cwebberc30

Default Hep Please! C30 Losing power

Hello!,

I have the same issue as JenCoug. I have a 2010 c30 Rdesign and over the last 8 months I have had severely reduced power on about 5 occasions and lost power totally on 2 occasions.

No fault codes are showing when checked by the garage.

The fuel filter has been checked and the garage think it could be the mass air flow sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks you!
cwebberc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 20:11   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebberc30 View Post
Hello!,

I have the same issue as JenCoug. I have a 2010 c30 Rdesign and over the last 8 months I have had severely reduced power on about 5 occasions and lost power totally on 2 occasions.

No fault codes are showing when checked by the garage.

The fuel filter has been checked and the garage think it could be the mass air flow sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks you!

It is impossible to guess on here , get someone to check the turbo shaft it may be broken .. especially if makes a rattle noise.