Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 will crank but not start, just had new timing belt

Views : 761

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 15:38   #1
andythepandy

Default S40 will crank but not start, just had new timing belt

Hi all hoping for a bit of advice from the Volvo wizards. I've got a new shape Volvo s40 2.0D sport. I have just changed the timing belt on it following all the correct steps and when I try to start it she'll crank but won't start.

I made sure I put the dowel pins in the correct places and that everything lined up but without any proper timing marks its hard to tell if it is properly lined up. I am certain I did everything properly but it could very well be out of time What is the best way for me to check the timing on it? is there a way?

I am currently waiting for it to charge as I have cranked it so much but it will crank over and at times it cranks over faster and faster till it settles down and has enough.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can check everything is in time or what else it could be?
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 21:36   #2
andythepandy

Right I've gone through and checked the timing again by getting the two dowels locked into place and putting the timing belt back on just to make sure so unless it can still be out of time with the dowels in its right. After all of that it still won't start!
I'm running out of ideas here. My only two theories are that it is something to do with the crank sensor at the bottom which is either faulty or the notch on the tdc ring is in the wrong place as that did come away from the reluctor when I took it off. Could this be a cause? Or there is air in the fuel like.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 22:01   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
the notch on the tdc ring is in the wrong place as that did come away from the reluctor when I took it off.
id be starting there if i were you
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 08:13   #4
andythepandy

Yes that's not a bad idea but the only thing is where should it go in relation to the. Reluctor that slides into the crank at the bottom ? The only marking in a notch on it for I assume the tdc sensor to read. Someone did say to me that it shouldn't really matter it's location as it's just used to sense rpm
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 10:36   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythepandy View Post
Hi all hoping for a bit of advice from the Volvo wizards. I've got a new shape Volvo s40 2.0D sport. I have just changed the timing belt on it following all the correct steps and when I try to start it she'll crank but won't start.

I made sure I put the dowel pins in the correct places and that everything lined up but without any proper timing marks its hard to tell if it is properly lined up. I am certain I did everything properly but it could very well be out of time What is the best way for me to check the timing on it? is there a way?

I am currently waiting for it to charge as I have cranked it so much but it will crank over and at times it cranks over faster and faster till it settles down and has enough.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can check everything is in time or what else it could be?
Did you put the locking pin in the flywheel through the hole by the starter motor ?

Also the magnetic timing ring is very delicate you must never touch it with your hands and if you knock the edge it could ruin it ..

with the locking pins in you should put the cambelt on then tension it BEFORE tightening the crank pulley bolt to get the timing perfect ...
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 10:52   #6
andythepandy

Yes I absolutely did put those in and double checked I got it right however I did knock the magnetic ring and that tiny magnetic key in the end of the crank and touch it with my hands. D'oh. So that could be the issue. Would you recommend I replace them both just to be on the safe side?
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 11:07   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes I absolutely did put those in and double checked I got it right however I did knock the magnetic ring and that tiny magnetic key in the end of the crank and touch it with my hands. D'oh. So that could be the issue. Would you recommend I replace them both just to be on the safe side?
well the correct way would be to look at the signal coming from the sensor with an oscilloscope , but probably easier to fit a new ring ...and go from there . You are aware that the lower cambelt toothed wheel can rotate a bit left and right ? The keyway is wider than the key itself .. This it to allow the belt to move and line up , that is why the very last thing you do is tighten the crank pulley to lock the timing in place ..
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:24   #8
andythepandy

Ok I'll have a look at buying one then. Any idea where I get one from or will the local Volvo dealership be the best bet? Yes haha I worked that out after starting at it for a bit. Would you say it's worth buying a new magnetic key for the crank end too?
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:27   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ok I'll have a look at buying one then. Any idea where I get one from or will the local Volvo dealership be the best bet? Yes haha I worked that out after starting at it for a bit. Would you say it's worth buying a new magnetic key for the crank end too?
the dealer can get one the same day if you order early enough , the key should be ok unless you have damaged it ..
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:42   #10
andythepandy

Awesome I'll get into them then. Thank for all the help and I apologise for any silly questions it's not an engine I am familiar with, I'm use to using a sledgehammer in the old redblock haha