Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A quick source for a broken rad top hose?

Views : 664

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:02   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default A quick source for a broken rad top hose?

Over the last few days I've noticed water appearing on the block of my B230 engine. I thought it was a core plug since that's where the water was gathering but when wiping down the mess I've found a small weeping slit on the radiator top hose.

I've run the engine with the expansion cap off and there's no pressurising so I think I've caught it before any head gasket damage has occured. I've seen that the water has a thick brow gue in it so I guess that the previous owner had attempted to effect a cure for this or something else in the water system before.

A call to my local parts supplier shows they didn't stock this part and I was quoted around £25 (+vat) from a nearby Volvo main agent.

So are there any other places that I could contact to possibly source cheaper, albeit after allowing for postage etc.

For now I'll be applying an emergency repair, namely 2 tube epoxy over the slit with heavy tape over that, but this won't last forever.

Any ideas or sources?
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:41   #2
Bob
Club Director

Try Braydon Motors, 020 8985 2255

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 13:12   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

thanks, just tried but no ans, prob closed for a few days. will try next week.

thanks

charles
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:09   #4
CamZH

Another thing that often works is to take your hose into your parts shop, and see whats close, you might find something that is just a little longer or doesnt bent exactly the same, but with the longer one you can just give it a little trim, and if some takes a slightly different path it might be ok !
You might also get one of those "universal" hoses to fit.

I've been thinking about replacing my top rad hose too, its swollen and looks a bit sad.

Good Luck !
Cam
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:35   #5
RichardB

Get a universal flexi one from halfords, seem reasonably well made I had one on my last car. You can choose different lengths and diameters.

Cheers,

Richard
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 16:50   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks to all for their posts the final result is as follows:

As an emergency fix I took the hose off and cut it down buy about 1/2 inch at the thermostat end so when refitted it meant that the split part was on the engine side of the jubilee clip, not the open hose side.

All has been ok for the last 1 1/2 days like this though I don't want to stress the hose for long.

A trip today to my local breakers has resulted in 3 top hoses, one expansion bottle, cap, feeder hose and a locking petrol cap WITH A KEY!! for the small total of a fiver!

Not bad eh? Now for some flushing of the hoses and I'm sure 1 will fit.

Thanks again all, glad to keep in touch

BTW if anyone needs to know, the breakers in question is in Kettering, Northants and had from memory 3x 740 estates, 1x740 saloon, 2x 240/270 estates, 1x240 saloons and a few 440/460/480s for good measure.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 13:31   #7
CamZH

Hate to be a party pooper Charles,
But is a 2nd hand radiator hose really a good idea ??
Would you use a 2nd hand oil filter ??
OT -> I had a guy once ask after engine mounts from a car I was wrecking, they were actually pretty new, but they were only A$30 each or so new! After I told him they were that cheap new, and I was 100km from him, he decided to not come and visit

Cam