Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

This is just a curiosity question

Views : 914

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:12   #1
ancient_art

Default This is just a curiosity question

Hi
I had this thing in my mind for a while now, and this is it, if somebody get upset with all the electronic bits that you can find in a car ,there is a solution to eliminate all of it and run a car as the hold time ?, I owned cars that had non or very little elctronic on board and l find them gret ,and ,I think the good time when all you needed was a screwdriver and a bit of wire to resolve all the problem that pheraps coul had happened.
To give an hint on what I like to know , for istance is possible to make an B230FT running with carburetor eliminatig all the electronic injection? or mybe using a mechanical injection as had the golf GTi in the '80s, ? soon after did become electronic with all the problem relate to it ,Many people sayd that if the engine is turbo you need Electronic Injection but again in the 80s the reanult 5 turbo was carburetor and the electronic on it was almost zero and was and still a great car .
Now the word to all the nice and acknowledge people that surfing in here.
All the best

Gerry
ancient_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:36   #2
5lab

Default RE: This is just a curiosity question

all petrol engines need electrics - something called spark plugs sorta give it away. you can run a derv without spark plugs, but again, i think you need electronics for some other stuff (glow plugs etc)..

breaker point ignition is simply horrible in comparison to breakerless electronic ignition - far far less reliable, and an absolute sod to sort out. both have electronics in.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:22   #3
ancient_art

Default RE: This is just a curiosity question

Hi
Tankhs to replay, but please I talk about electronic and not electric, of course the engine need electric to spark ecc ecc but what I talk about is a different matter was more a general question to make a point that all this electronic is just an headache especially on car like these in this forum old enough to give a plenty of problem when somenthing goes wrong and not easy to get the sourge of the problem quick.
Anyway today electronic is more reliable but still have let down big name of the car industry not less volvo on new diesel engine on the 50 series , and have look at mercedes completely run down is name becouse that , just lately they are recupereting some ground and bulding up they name again.

The best luck

Gerry
ancient_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 01:26   #4
Suterman
240 Turbo

yeah you can run a carb motor with a turbo, you could use an ft block with a carb/s (they are the same block as the early volvo carbed 240/ 740s ect but why would you want to? the ecu system is really loads better in terms of relaibilty and adaptabilty and once you look into it you will realise that its fairly self explanetory, do some reading up, I can highly reccomend, Modern engine tuning, by Graham Bell.
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 15:13   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The early 240 turbos used carb or mechanical injection.

You do not have to use electronic injection.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:17   #6
CamZH

I'd also have to ask, Why would you want to do that ??
The source of most EFI engine failures is lack of maintenence !

Carbs can be tuned a little easier that EFI systems, but they will only run well in a given situation, which is the same as when it was tuned, ie. if you tuned it on a hot day, with low humidity and good fuel, it will be so so on a cold, moist day with bad fuel.

EFI on the other has sensors, and maps, it uses the sensors to calculate how much fuel, for a given temp, throttle position etc.

EFI also SQUIRTS fuel in, where as carbs rely on suction ! Intercooling Carbed engines can be a problem, if you have a suck through carby set up (carb sits on top of turbo) you cant really inter cool it as the fuel tends to stick to the walls of the intercooler and you end up with a fuel puddle in it (bad), and a lean engine (bad)! having a blow thru set up can avoid this, as the intercooler can be before the carb, but then you have the inside of the carb being pressurised ! so you need more fuel pressure than your max boost, and seeing as move fuel regs are not rising rate (fuel pressure increases with boost level) it will run very rich at low boost levels !
So yes, you can run carbs and turbos, but I wouldn't !

However having said this, carbs can give less hassle, as they will happly run lean, rich, with vacuum leaks etc etc. So it will run poorly, where as a EFI motor like this wont run !

But a well maintained good EFI system will always be better. Why do you think its hard to buy a carbed car now ??
EFI will give you, more reliability, better economy, better power, and better driveability.
I've fairly recently put a EFI motor in my '76 Falcon Ute, and its a massive improvment on the carbed engine. It is also a simple EFI system that runs maps only, there is no O2 sensor, like my 740, so it cannont run closed loop (this is where the computer continually varies mixtures to get the best economy when cruising)

well, thats my 2c !

I'll also bee soon upragding my 740 to a more sophisticed engine. Bring on the technology !
Cam