Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo RTI SatNav > Tomtom

Views : 24193

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:17   #31
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

I too have no major issues with the Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav in my MY2007 XC90 V8 Exec ever since updating (last month) to the latest Software and Maps (I received 2 x DVDs in the update pack) and intend to undertake the update every 6 months.

As my Sat Nav had never been updated since the car was new in 2007, I am now able to search 7 digit UK postcodes (Europe was always okay), view in Perspective (like 3D), see Fixed Speed Cameras (the shutter click is fine for me), the TMC has better coverage and it all works much quicker.

I'm happy it's not touch screen (having experienced the Range Rover Sport version) and use both the steering wheel controls (better than BMW's rotary knobs) and the remote control (not aware other brands offer this).

Besides with the position of the screen in the Volvo XC90 most would find it a chore to reach over to touch the screen - and I wouldn't want to change the location of the screen as it is perfect for me to see as well as the road...in the Range Rover Sport it was just a little too low down in the dashboard...worse still is the Porsche Cayenne and Mercedes M Class, the newer BMW X3/X5 and Audi Q5/Q7 are better, but the position in the Volvo XC90 is best (even the XC60 is good).

As I've mentioned in posts elsewhere - the only thing I miss over an aftermarket Sat Nav is actually being told what the speed limit of the road is that I'm driving on - so I keep a Garmin on the go as well.

For those that have taken an aftermarket Sat Nav and fully fitted it into their car (like the OEM) - I am still waiting to hear how they update the Software and Maps as most aftermarket Sat Navs must be paired (using a cable) with a computer connected to the internet in order to download updates for Software and Maps - even if the aftermarket Sat Nav has built in Bluetooth I doubt that is a way to achieve this.

At least with the Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav it is fully integrated with the ICE, and is easily updated with the DVD reader under the passenger (UK cars) seat.

If you don't update the Software and Maps of an aftermarket Sat Nav at least every 6 months then it too will become useless...

For those that complain that the Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav still gets them lost then perhaps try changing the routing options (Fast, Short, Easy) and whether to include Motorways etc etc...

As for missing roads etc...well I've had that with every Sat Nav both OEM and aftermarket that I've owned...the best is to update as often as possible to overcome this, as even the TomTom service that allows users to add missing data (roads, PoIs etc) doesn't release updates immediately.
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:07   #32
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4246 View Post
For those that have taken an aftermarket Sat Nav and fully fitted it into their car (like the OEM) - I am still waiting to hear how they update the Software and Maps as most aftermarket Sat Navs must be paired (using a cable) with a computer connected to the internet in order to download updates for Software and Maps - even if the aftermarket Sat Nav has built in Bluetooth I doubt that is a way to achieve this.

Same way as the car is connected to VIDA I would guess.

My WiFi Network extends over the whole local neighbourhood so it has no problem reaching a computer in the garage.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 13:28   #33
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Same way as the car is connected to VIDA I would guess.

My WiFi Network extends over the whole local neighbourhood so it has no problem reaching a computer in the garage.
I don't see how either of these would permit you to update say a Garmin or a TomTom or other aftermarket Sat Nav that is permanently fitted to your car:

How would your aftermarket Sat Nav be connected to the VIDA network in your car to then use the VIDA port to connect to a computer?

How would you connect your WiFi enabled computer (laptop/notebook etc) to the aftermarket Sat Nav when it is permanently fitted to your car when no doubt the aftermarket Sat Nav's port is no longer visible for connecting a cable?

Try it...as personally I have to take my Garmin and connect it to a cable that is in turn connected to my WiFi enabled laptop/notebook in order to undertake any updates to Software and Maps on this Garmin.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 14:20   #34
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4246 View Post
I don't see how either of these would permit you to update say a Garmin or a TomTom or other aftermarket Sat Nav that is permanently fitted to your car:

How would your aftermarket Sat Nav be connected to the VIDA network in your car to then use the VIDA port to connect to a computer?

How would you connect your WiFi enabled computer (laptop/notebook etc) to the aftermarket Sat Nav when it is permanently fitted to your car when no doubt the aftermarket Sat Nav's port is no longer visible for connecting a cable?

Try it...as personally I have to take my Garmin and connect it to a cable that is in turn connected to my WiFi enabled laptop/notebook in order to undertake any updates to Software and Maps on this Garmin.
I wrote connected like VIDA. Not to VIDA. Or intended to.

Not sure why you would think the port not be able to be used. If it's being permenantly fitted presumably it would have a power supply using a USB cable that could be connected to a convieniently placed female port for the computer to access.

I imagine that anyone going to all the trouble of a permenant install won't be put off by fitting an access cable. The TomTom computer connection stand would fit on a motorised platform to work like the Volvo in dash one if someone really wanted to integrate it.

I'm not bothered myself but I just didn't see connection to a computer as an issue for a permenant install. Just my personal view of course.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 15:21   #35
JohnL

Has anybody tried this company, I dont have any connection, I wondered if it was worth updating my original old 2003 system with one of these?
http://www.satnav-updates.com/#sf

John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 16:28   #36
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I wrote connected like VIDA. Not to VIDA. Or intended to.

Not sure why you would think the port not be able to be used. If it's being permenantly fitted presumably it would have a power supply using a USB cable that could be connected to a convieniently placed female port for the computer to access.

I imagine that anyone going to all the trouble of a permenant install won't be put off by fitting an access cable. The TomTom computer connection stand would fit on a motorised platform to work like the Volvo in dash one if someone really wanted to integrate it.

I'm not bothered myself but I just didn't see connection to a computer as an issue for a permenant install. Just my personal view of course.
And I'm not thinking "the port not be able to be used" - you can have all the theories you want - mine would be to have a Bluetooth solution and avoid the cable interface to a computer altogether - but that's not my point.

I have looked at all the photos and youtube clips of permanently fitted aftermarket Sat Navs - most replacing the OEM screen and using the OEM raise/lower mechanism on the dashboard - but nowhere have I been able to see where there is any provision to update the Software and Maps of the aftermarket Sat Nav whilst in situation.

So hence me asking (in particular those that have undertaken this modification) whether they have allowed for this capability...and to date I have had no response, so an assumption could be that they have not...or they simply choose not to respond of course.

I admit not having seen this modification for real...but can't see in any of the photos or youtube clips I've viewed that a USB port has been made available to update the Software and Maps of the permanently fitted aftermarket Sat Nav...so if anyone has such evidence it would be good to know about it, thank you?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 17:19   #37
mikealder
VOC Member

The newer devices from TomTom require a connection to the PC and internet for updates, it would be possible to power the unit in the car using the PC connection cable plugged in to a ciggy lighter addapter (CLA) that would double as a PC connection when unplugged from the CLA so with a laptop equipped with WiFi map updates would be possible with the device burried in the car assuming you have a Wifi laptop and available internet connection.

The older TomTom units have an option to remove the memory card which will either be an SD, SDHC or MicroSD card depending on the model, you can pop the memory card out of the device and use a card reader plugged in to the PC to update the device.

Garmin are a little more difficult as you need to use a specific PC connection lead which puts the device in to USB Storage mode when connected to the computer, it's not possible to update a modern Garmin if it's built in to the car you would have to take it out of the vehicle. If the Garmin has a memory card slot then it's possible to pop the card out and update this via a card reader in an internet connected PC.

The same really applies to all the other Sat Nav manufacturers, without a direct connection to the PC they are useless for updates, I am not aware of any hardware that will update maps/ OS via WiFi/ Bluetooth or a built in GPRS modem - It is/ was possible to send certain files to TomTom devices such as Points Of Interest (POI) to the device from the PC using Bluetooth but TomTom have disabled this capability with a recent "upgrade"

The main attraction for the aftermarket nav units is the cheap upgrade costs when compared to vehicle manufacturers supplied hardware, they also tend to offer far more in way of usefull options such as full postcode navigation. These days I either have a TomTom product in the car or my Garmin 3790T which both sit on Brodit mounts and are hard wired in to the vehicle with hidden wiring, not quite as sleek as a motorised unit that retracts in to the dash when you take the key out but they offer so much more in terms of capability - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 17:33   #38
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
The newer devices from TomTom require a connection to the PC and internet for updates, it would be possible to power the unit in the car using the PC connection cable plugged in to a ciggy lighter addapter (CLA) that would double as a PC connection when unplugged from the CLA so with a laptop equipped with WiFi map updates would be possible with the device burried in the car assuming you have a Wifi laptop and available internet connection.

The older TomTom units have an option to remove the memory card which will either be an SD, SDHC or MicroSD card depending on the model, you can pop the memory card out of the device and use a card reader plugged in to the PC to update the device.

Garmin are a little more difficult as you need to use a specific PC connection lead which puts the device in to USB Storage mode when connected to the computer, it's not possible to update a modern Garmin if it's built in to the car you would have to take it out of the vehicle. If the Garmin has a memory card slot then it's possible to pop the card out and update this via a card reader in an internet connected PC.

The same really applies to all the other Sat Nav manufacturers, without a direct connection to the PC they are useless for updates, I am not aware of any hardware that will update maps/ OS via WiFi/ Bluetooth or a built in GPRS modem - It is/ was possible to send certain files to TomTom devices such as Points Of Interest (POI) to the device from the PC using Bluetooth but TomTom have disabled this capability with a recent "upgrade"

The main attraction for the aftermarket nav units is the cheap upgrade costs when compared to vehicle manufacturers supplied hardware, they also tend to offer far more in way of usefull options such as full postcode navigation. These days I either have a TomTom product in the car or my Garmin 3790T which both sit on Brodit mounts and are hard wired in to the vehicle with hidden wiring, not quite as sleek as a motorised unit that retracts in to the dash when you take the key out but they offer so much more in terms of capability - Mike
For many of the older TomToms that used SD/Micro SD cards the ports were on the bottom of the device so I'd say if they were permanently fitted into the vehicle - say using the XC90 screen frame and the raise/lower mechanism it would hardly be an easy way to undertake updates.

Again though another theory...I'm looking for the facts and to see some evidence from those that have done this modification...

I have full postcode navigation on my Volvo XC90 OEM RTI Sat Nav...and again would be intrigued to see what extra features aftermarket Sat Navs now have over OEM Sat Navs...notwithstanding prices and the portability of an aftermarket Sat Nav that is designed to be portable.

To know the speed limit of the road I am driving on I also have a portable Garmin that I use in the car alongside my fitted OEM RTI Sat Nav...and apart from this, and realistic motorway exit views - there's nothing else my Garmin does better than my Volvo Sat Nav unless there's a feature I'm not using...
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 17:46   #39
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I'm not sure how the Sony TomTom is updated because it's built in.... then I found this on line

Quote:
Then detach the removable module and plug it into your computer. It will download an updated software application, and then download an updated map.
I also found a mount for building in a TomTom which looks like it unplugs to update. http://www.eclipse-web.com/eu/en/avn...overviews.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVN2227P-anime.jpg (44.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg avn4429cover.jpg (34.6 KB, 8 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 17:59   #40
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
doc4246;1123713]FI have full postcode navigation on my Volvo XC90 OEM RTI Sat Nav...and again would be intrigued to see what extra features aftermarket Sat Navs now have over OEM Sat Navs...notwithstanding prices and the portability of an aftermarket Sat Nav that is designed to be portable.
Have you tried a TomTom with HD Traffic? I've been save hours of sitting in traffic. Many times on the A21 as it only takes a crash or lorry to lose it's load to block that road for hours.