Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo RTI SatNav > Tomtom

Views : 24197

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:14   #61
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4246 View Post
I wouldn't want to be doing any data updates using a SIM card when I'm roaming outside its home network...

Even with the small amount of data that's transferred using the SIM cards embedded in Volvo On Call and BMW On Call just look at the annual price for having their services.

Same with the Vodafone SIM cards embedded in TomToms for real time traffic updates...not a cheap service to use for data transfer. I once had an older TomTom which I would pair with my mobile phone for real time traffic updates...not cheap either...so the cost of updating Software and Maps would be substantial...unless you have a suitable data bundle on your mobile phone plan...but then generally only UK mobile phone plans offer these at the moment, Europe is still quite expensive...and both UK and Europe are still expensive when roaming.

Perhaps updating Software and Maps via a free WiFi Hotspot would be nice, or as I say most of these aftermarket Sat Navs have Bluetooth, so why can't that be used to pair with a computer that has the ability to provide the updates...

I agree that in the future (near future even) in car data services will be available and potentially reasonably inexpensive as manufacturers push to provide traffic information data back to data centres who then return that back to vehicles...very big brother when your Sat Nav is being told in real time how to take you to your chosen destination...

When I had my BMW X3 I accidentally pushed the On Call button and a very polite human being excused themselves for immediately cutting into the soundtrack I was playing and asked how they could help me...I apologised for the mistake and then they noticed the destination on my Sat Nav (yes the BMW operator had total control of my on board systems) and offered to check that I had chosen the best route as they had access to more up to date traffic information than TMC (I hadn't purchased the BMW traffic service module with my BMW On Call...and only had the default TMC)...the operator suggested an alternative and offered to remotely change my Sat Nav because I was driving at the time!!!
It is a sales tactic to show off. When i had a weird message on the dash, "guard" something... I thought i use the voc. The operator was quick to point out that i was on my drive with my window open and 1/2 tank of diesel. Obviously i knew that. When i queried the message, the operator had no clue and advise ne to call my dealer.
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:50   #62
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Why can't you plug the other end of the USB cable into a USB power supply from the car for normal use then unplug it and plug it into a computer to update it?
Indeed this would work, and if you use a laptop with a WiFi internet connection it will work fine, always use a 5V regulated supply for the device though otherwise the smoke tends to escape from inside the Nav unit, once the smoke escapes they stop working!

Quote:
I think in the future we won't need to update via computer or DVD as I have an in car device that updates itself automatically via it's sim card.
The map and software updates that your PC downloads for the Nav unit are zipped up, the PC software unzips the payload before it transfers to the Nav unit, as TomTom runs a bespoke Linux OS I very much doubt it has the capability to unzip a large download, neither will the device have enough storage capacity to process the unzip operation.

Quote:
I just remembered that the latest firmware I downloaded from TomTom said something about it including changes that would alow getting certain updates via the sim card.
There are a number of bits of data that TomTom now send over the air to their "Live" connected devices, their useless speed camera database being one such entity - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 13:59   #63
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Still...it looks like we are still waiting for someone who has undertaken the modification of permanently fitting an aftermarket Sat Nav in an OEM style to actually respond...perhaps and despite the cost, the Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav isn't so bad afterall?
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:22   #64
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be doing any data updates using a SIM card when I'm roaming outside its home network...

Even with the small amount of data that's transferred using the SIM cards embedded in Volvo On Call and BMW On Call just look at the annual price for having their services.

Same with the Vodafone SIM cards embedded in TomToms for real time traffic updates...not a cheap service to use for data transfer. I once had an older TomTom which I would pair with my mobile phone for real time traffic updates...not cheap either...so the cost of updating Software and Maps would be substantial...unless you have a suitable data bundle on your mobile phone plan...but then generally only UK mobile phone plans offer these at the moment, Europe is still quite expensive...and both UK and Europe are still expensive when roaming.

Perhaps updating Software and Maps via a free WiFi Hotspot would be nice, or as I say most of these aftermarket Sat Navs have Bluetooth, so why can't that be used to pair with a computer that has the ability to provide the updates...

I agree that in the future (near future even) in car data services will be available and potentially reasonably inexpensive as manufacturers push to provide traffic information data back to data centres who then return that back to vehicles...very big brother when your Sat Nav is being told in real time how to take you to your chosen destination...

When I had my BMW X3 I accidentally pushed the On Call button and a very polite human being excused themselves for immediately cutting into the soundtrack I was playing and asked how they could help me...I apologised for the mistake and then they noticed the destination on my Sat Nav (yes the BMW operator had total control of my on board systems) and offered to check that I had chosen the best route as they had access to more up to date traffic information than TMC (I hadn't purchased the BMW traffic service module with my BMW On Call...and only had the default TMC)...the operator suggested an alternative and offered to remotely change my Sat Nav because I was driving at the time!!!
I think the cost of data isn't very expensive when a big company is negotiating a deal .

Road Angel charge £1 per month for data downloaded via the phone network as opposed to via computer. TomToms charge is about £2.50 per month but that's for unlimited data for the HD traffic info, speed cameras, weather, and Google searches. 1 Gb Data downloads from 3 for the internet radio is about £7.87 a month.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:29   #65
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
I think the cost of data isn't very expensive when a big company is negotiating a deal .

Road Angel charge £1 per month for data downloaded via the phone network as opposed to via computer. TomToms charge is about £2.50 per month but that's for unlimited data for the HD traffic info, speed cameras, weather, and Google searches. 1 Gb Data downloads from 3 for the internet radio is about £7.87 a month.
And that's probably only when the device is in its home network in the UK...
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:32   #66
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
The map and software updates that your PC downloads for the Nav unit are zipped up, the PC software unzips the payload before it transfers to the Nav unit, as TomTom runs a bespoke Linux OS I very much doubt it has the capability to unzip a large download, neither will the device have enough storage capacity to process the unzip operation.
- Mike
That's my point, in the future these devices are going to have more powerfull processors, more memory. (My TomTom, now, has a bigger processor and more memory than my first computer) and better firmware. Use the 4G network or better for downloading Gbs in seconds.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 14:37   #67
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
And that's probably only when the device is in its home network in the UK...
It's all Europe for the Road Angel and TomTom. I assume the 1Gb 3G dongle is at a UK rate though and there is an extra charge if you go abroad but the advice I have with mobile data in Europe is to buy another dongle or sim in Europe as you can get them by the month more cheaply with a network on the continent.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 24th, 2012 at 14:40.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 15:34   #68
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
(My TomTom, now, has a bigger processor and more memory than my first computer) and better firmware. Use the 4G network or better for downloading Gbs in seconds.
To use the faster speed OTA services the device would need a 4G capable modem fitting in it, the TomTom products only have GPRS it doesn't even reach 3G or Edge in terms of download speed - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 15:43   #69
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I have found a USB cable on Amazon that would let you input power and data seperatly so you could have a permenent power connection and a seperate data input socket.

Quote:
Power and data cable for USB devices! This cable can be used to connect a PC to a bus-powered external USB device which has power consumption requirements greater than 500mA (e.g. hard drive enclosures, USB 2.0 hubs etc.). It features two USB Type A connectors: one for data and power, and one for power only. The cable terminates in a mini B connector for connecting to the device. For bus-powered USB devices with power consumption requirements of up to 1A Can be used with either USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 peripherals 2 x Type A USB Male to USB Type mini B Male Fully shielded cable with moulded connectors 10 year warranty
Videk would make up a cable like that in any dimensions you wanted so it would be possible to route the power and data input sockets anywhere you wanted in the car.

For me technology changes too quickly to have a permenant device but having said that I do like seeing and hearing the ipod or USB memory stick digital data playing on the Volvo HiFi and seeing the current selection info being displayed on the radio display.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 24th, 2012 at 15:46.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 15:51   #70
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
To use the faster speed OTA services the device would need a 4G capable modem fitting in it, the TomTom products only have GPRS it doesn't even reach 3G or Edge in terms of download speed - Mike
Yes but they are not standing still are they? These devices didn't even exist when I got my first computer. Now I can put a device more powerful than my first computer in my pocket and I could hardly lift my first computer. (slight exageration) Look at monitors, how many CRT displays are sold now? They were the only option not that long ago.