Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 940 2.3 LPT Automatic Immobiliser Problem

Views : 9448

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2014, 21:48   #21
Laney760
VOC Member

This is the reset procedure, its the only time you should operate the fob inside the car:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...46&postcount=7

Also, have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a couple of hours (you'll need a radio code afterwards)

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2014, 21:55   #22
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

I have a late 940 and it dose not have Volvo guard on it the key has a chip in it I had a key cut as a spare with no chip in and it opens the locks and turns in the ignition but will not start car the chipped key works ok I did this as an experiment as I have 3 keys with chips with the car. I fitted a hawk system for keyless entry.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 07:55   #23
scarlett2904

Angry Immobilizer problems

many thanks for the replies.

I have managed to open the pdf files ok, but the relays look differant to mine, I have no 210-211 relay on the board, what I do have which I have now found after much serarching is the immobilizer unit up under the dash behind the drivers side air vent which is a volvo 9441323 unit with a little green plug in one end with a few wire coming out, any ideas!

thanks
scarlett2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 07:59   #24
scarlett2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
This is the reset procedure, its the only time you should operate the fob inside the car:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...46&postcount=7

Also, have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a couple of hours (you'll need a radio code afterwards)
hi again

the battery has been disconnected overnight last night, i will go and have a go see what happens.

thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 08:00   #25
scarlett2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett2904 View Post
hi again

the battery has been disconnected overnight last night, i will go and have a go see what happens.

thanks
by the way my radio packed up several years ago so radio code is no good to me but i have it anyway.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 08:04   #26
scarlett2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
I have a late 940 and it dose not have Volvo guard on it the key has a chip in it I had a key cut as a spare with no chip in and it opens the locks and turns in the ignition but will not start car the chipped key works ok I did this as an experiment as I have 3 keys with chips with the car. I fitted a hawk system for keyless entry.
many thanks for that maybe thats the answer, i have the same vehicle as yours, is it easy to fit the hawk system? and where would I get one from, i dont fancy volvo doing any work on the prices they quote, would cost more tan the cars worth.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:15   #27
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett2904 View Post
many thanks for that maybe thats the answer, i have the same vehicle as yours, is it easy to fit the hawk system? and where would I get one from, i dont fancy volvo doing any work on the prices they quote, would cost more tan the cars worth.
I got mine from ebay direct frim the makers just type in car alarms and troll through. the one I have is about the size of a fag packet and is easy to fit it has more functions on it than I used it will even close the electric windows if you have them. It cost about £30 and has 2 fobs with it.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 12:09   #28
scarlett2904

Many thanks I will have a look
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 16:26   #29
clocks2003
Master Member

I had the same problem...
With fuse 5 in place the alarm went off as soon as you opened a door or tried to start the engine, with it out you could use the car perfectly happily, but no interior lights, clock or remote locking.
The problem turned out to be the alarm control module. I swapped one from another car I am scrapping, re-programmed the keys and all is well.
clocks2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 14:37   #30
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Immobilizer unit

I too have a 940 LPT with immobilizer unit, albeit the basic version, no Volvoguard. As far as I know it has nothing to do with the alarm (flashing indicators) or remote entrance system.
Its sole function is to enable the fuel pump after you have started the engine. Initially the ECU enables the fuel pump after starting the engine. At the same time it requests a signal from immo box 9441323. If the ECU does not receive a reply within a few seconds, it shuts the fuel supply and the engine dies. I have not been able to find an easy way to bypass this system as it is embedded in the software of the ECU.
The immo box 9441323 is paired with the chip in the ignition key. They communicate through an antenna ring around the ignition switch. From the immo box two wires run to the antenna ring and a bunch to the ECU.
When I had an intermittent starting problem with the immo system I first replaced the antenna ring (appr. €.40,- new). No luck.
Thinking the problem was in the immo box, I then looked for another, including the corresponding key. I still kept the old antenna ring and taped the "new" key (which obviously did not fit my existing lock) to it. I put both the antenna and key permanently somewhere behind the kick panel. Worked fine, but did not solve my intermittent starting problems.
I then exchanged the ECU (code -984) for a pre-immobilizer version and no more problems after that. So the problem was in the ECU after all.
As I found the characteristics of the last -984 ECU to be more pleasant, I recently replaced the pre-immobilizer ECU for a -984 model.
Contrary to what Volvo says in VADIS, the ECU and immo-box are not paired, just the ignition key chip and immo box.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: