Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230E Engine

Views : 3822

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 22:34   #1
Ben '71 1200

Default B230E Engine

Evening,

I'm about to embark on a derv swap in my 240 and it leaves the B230e somewhat redundant.

The story goes that my car was a stock 2.0gl, and that a few owners ago, a keen caravaner decided he wanted to make it a better towcar. It got Bilstein suspension, LPG, a Simmons (I think..) exhaust, and a rebuilt B230e from Caprice Engines with a lumpy cam for more power. That would have been (approximately) 50-60k ago. The owner after that had problems with with the head/cam, and the one after that was an automotive journalist called Bryn. The lumpy cam wore its lobes down within a very short time, and Bryn put a new (I think rebuilt/recon) head on it with a standard cam. That would have been around 2005/2006. After that the car has gone through 3 or 4 enthusiast owners and is now with me.

What I'm trying to get at, is that it's a cared for low mile engine, though I unfortunately don't have paperwork to back that up. I'm due to remove it in the next couple weeks and it's all in good order. It idles a bit high, but I assume that to be a vacuum leak/injector seals.

I'll need the alternator and PAS pump but everything else (all the K jet gubbins, exhaust manifold etc.) will be included.

I'm after £100. If it doesn't sell, I expect I'll strip off the ancillaries and sell them separately, then chuck the longblock on ebay at 99p...

This is how it looks at the moment.

I have a crane so can help load it into your car/van/trailer though it will be collection only as I am never about during pallet collecting courier times.

Please reply or message me..

Thanks

Ben
Ben '71 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:48   #2
Ben '71 1200

I've been informed that my donor will have PAS so the pump can go with it, and the alternator on Volvos being twin belt means I won't want that either. Extra added value!

Those who have spotted the drain pipe: I've been playing with different inlet lengths to see what difference it made to the LPG performance
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 13:03   #3
Ben '71 1200

This (and the slightly crunchy box) are coming out on saturday.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 18:04   #4
Ben '71 1200

Of course, the problem with these engines is that they go on for absolutely forever.. I'll be taking the ancilleries off and punting it all on through eBay. Shout up if you need any parts

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 14:50   #5
zetor160

Mmm...never seen a Volvo BLUE block before lol!!

Keep us poted with your derv conversion..am hoping to do the same to my 740 when summer comes..

Do you have a derv motor in mind for fitting??
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 23:17   #6
minesa240x3
loyalty

Maybe the company that reconditioned it painted it blue to verify it was one of theres in case of return.
I remember my dad many years had a car with a recon engine and it was painted gold.you could also get a silver recon.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:37   #7
zetor160

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Maybe the company that reconditioned it painted it blue to verify it was one of theres in case of return.
I remember my dad many years had a car with a recon engine and it was painted gold.you could also get a silver recon.
Regards Brian.
Ahh..yes Brian, remember those days well.

Gold seal/silver seal engines - last one I had was a silver seal in a Mk5 Cortina.

How times have changed.

Regards, Gareth
The Following User Says Thank You to zetor160 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 20:08   #8
Ben '71 1200

Indeed. A 'blue block' surprised me a bit too. Still here, still for sale.. Since it's not selling as it is, I'm happy to split.

I was intending on using an Iveco 2.5 or 2.8 turbo, however a fit of sensible thinking has meant I'm now going to buy an engine, 'box and prop from an LDV Pilot, which is a 1.9XUD (Peugeot/Citroen). It will be woefully underpowered but it means I can then swap all of the ancilleries (and the flywheel to continue using a standard Pilot clutch) to a turbo one from a 306, Zantia, 405.. anything french from the 90s. It should mean I'll get a reliable 40-something MPG and reasonable performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben '71 1200 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 22:55   #9
zetor160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben '71 1200 View Post
Indeed. A 'blue block' surprised me a bit too. Still here, still for sale.. Since it's not selling as it is, I'm happy to split.

I was intending on using an Iveco 2.5 or 2.8 turbo, however a fit of sensible thinking has meant I'm now going to buy an engine, 'box and prop from an LDV Pilot, which is a 1.9XUD (Peugeot/Citroen). It will be woefully underpowered but it means I can then swap all of the ancilleries (and the flywheel to continue using a standard Pilot clutch) to a turbo one from a 306, Zantia, 405.. anything french from the 90s. It should mean I'll get a reliable 40-something MPG and reasonable performance.
Practicality comes first..I'm with you there.
Will be watching your progress with interest.
All the best
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 00:09   #10
Ben '71 1200

open to offers on any or all of it as I have 'accidentally' purchased an Iveco Turbo Daily engine..