Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM clean and software upgrade, FOC or chargeable?

Views : 1843

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2012, 13:10   #1
itmltd1

Default ETM clean and software upgrade, FOC or chargeable?

Have just spoken to my local volvo dealership who advise me that they have no record of any recall or other contingents in place to cover the cost of cleaning the ETM and upgrading the software on my volvo v70 2001 2.4T.

I have read many many times on here of members having this done FOC, have they stopped doing this or are my local dealership just trying to pull a fast one?
itmltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:31   #2
Pozzouk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itmltd1 View Post
Have just spoken to my local volvo dealership who advise me that they have no record of any recall or other contingents in place to cover the cost of cleaning the ETM and upgrading the software on my volvo v70 2001 2.4T.

I have read many many times on here of members having this done FOC, have they stopped doing this or are my local dealership just trying to pull a fast one?
Hi, Now there's a question?

I took mine in yesterday to the Main Stealer's and they diagnosed my erratic idle and intermittent misfire as an ETM problem that could not be probed without the software upgrade. Apparently this £60.00 download gives them the ability to probe the device and lengthen the life of the unit as the original software only had a parameter variance of 3% before it becomes problematic. How true this all is i don't know?

I live in hope upon return of vehicle today........Maybe

Regards Pozzouk.
Pozzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 13:16   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

The software "fix" is more akin to a cludge rather than a true fix, it will mask the onset of ETM problems letting the faulty unit work in the car for longer than one without the update. I might be a little sceptical of this "upgrade" as it gets the manufacturer out of the waranty period before the ETM packs up all together (which it will do due to crap design) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote