Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 109797

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 17:50   #431
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Try posting in the LPG section of the forum
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 00:39   #432
shaggedetms

Default rought etm

hi im from aust and recently purchased a 1999 v70 for 300 dollars and was aware of the etm problem. i trailered the car 300 kilometers to home then when i started it to take off trailer ,it ran perfectly. considering the previous owner hadnt driven the car in 6 months because of problem i thought that a trailer ride solved the problem was improbable so i looked on net for maybe anybody else having same problem and was taken back to how many stuffed v70s are out there, i havent had car fixed at the moment($1300) but can still drive car if i play with it first,,but i cant understand how the ******s at volvo know about this problem and decided that its their customers problem and if you dont like that well go and plait your ****,then you have people like oilburner crying because people are picking on volvo well to all you shiny bums at volvo and people that think the sun shines from volvos arse these problems aren,t going away and 450,000cars still barely making it to the volvo dealerships to be ripped thousands of dollars VOLVO you should be ashamed of yourselfs
shaggedetms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 08:37   #433
tj101c70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggedetms View Post
hi im from aust and recently purchased a 1999 v70 for 300 dollars and was aware of the etm problem.

You pay scrap valve for a car, aware that it has a problem,
and then register here and moan on a old thread, when Volvo won't repair it for free and make it all good again for you !!!

Time to get real, my friend,
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 06:53   #434
shaggedetms

hey dopey when you want to have a go at someone get ya facts straight ...i did not get on the forum to moan about anything.. i got on to see if anyone else was having a problem and was taken by surprise at how many cars have the same problem and as for volvos lack of response to this problem well no wonder ford own them and as for your list of crap boxes you own or have owned ...it seems to me that you are going to have a lot of time travelling to the repair shops ...so have a good day mate
shaggedetms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 15:00   #435
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Hi Shagged,
Welcome to the Forum, but maybe not got off to a good start?
I don't know if you trailled through the entire thread, it goes back years with many posts.
Volvo UK did do something about this issue, my own V70 Ph2 2001 was recalled by Volvo, and went into the shop and out at no charge to me.
There (if memory serves ) were 2 different types of ETM fitted to these cars, the Bosch one, and the Magneto Marrelli one. Again if memery serves, it was that Magneto Marelli ones that had the problem and it was caused by the carbon from the wiper brushes scoring the flexible track on the stepper motor/ and or/ a build up of carbon on the butterfly valve.
There are in these pages a couple of good cheap fixes for the issue, top of which is just a good clean of the stepper motor internals and a good squirt of carb cleaner in the valve body.
I beleive the easy way to tell which you have is by checking for a little "dot" sticker on the ETM. a yellow one is Magneto Marelli, and green one is Bosch. Further I seem to remember that if you have a yellow sticker with a half green flash then the recall has been done. Alternatly, contact your Volvo dealer and quote the VIN. If the recall has been carried out they will be able to tell you.

In the UK the DVLA keeps a track of who owns what car, and in the event of a recall like this the current owner is notified and invited to their dealership for an FOC inspection. Maybe down under it dosn't work like this - I don't know - so the former owner(s) may not have been notified, or bothered to follow up.

Remember the ETM is just a modern version of a carburetter air-flow butterfly. It works very hard and will of course wear over it's life. You don't say how many miles your new purchase has done, but at that age I would guess over 100,000 miles. My 2001 V70 now has 160,000 on it, and my 2000 S80 148,000. Nothing lasts forever, but that's not bad going is it?

However, I do think JJ101 may have a point. You paid less than £200 for the car, knowing it had a fault.

Fair also to say that Volvo did wriggle quite a lot initially, but did try to put matters right after a lot of fuss from owners and National vehicle agencies. Volvo are not owned by Ford anymore, and have not been for some while. For better or worse the Chinese own them now.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Nick44; Jan 6th, 2013 at 15:19. Reason: additional info
Nick44 is offline   Reply With Quote