Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket wheels

Views : 440

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 19:32   #1
DS80

Default Aftermarket wheels

Good evening all. Has anyone got a facelift s80 with aftermarket wheels? Just trying to see what has been done already.
DS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 22:57   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

The previous owner of my vehicle installed aftermarket wheels (8x18"). They looked nice admittedly, but the offset was incorrect & that affected the driving experience. I also found that with them being 18" that they were quite uncomfortable when going over uneven surfaces & the car had a tendency to wander into every crevice in the road, which meant increased steering input to stay straight, eventhough the alignment was perfect. I didn't like that one bit because the S80 is a large, comfortable car & I felt that these 18's needed to go personally, but some people like the more sporty feel.

I purchased a set of used original Volvo 'Spartes' alloys, got them professionally refurbished & fitted them to the car with a set of part worn tyres that have plenty of tread left on them. I can honestly say that it has made a remarkable difference & they look great.

Have a look at this website below. Scroll down & you'll see all the types of alloys that were options on the S80 & you can find out the offset, rim width, correct tyre size etc as recommended by Volvo by clicking on the pictures:

The standard wheels on the S80 most commonly are 7x 17" with a 50mm offset. The recommended tyres for these particular alloys are 225/50 R17's.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...s/styling/2007

If you do go down the aftermarket route, use the above site as a reference & buy alloys that are the correct width, offset & size for the car. If you want bigger alloys, then go for it, but the car won't be & isn't as comfortable with bigger alloys in my opinion. 17" are most suited to the car, but that's a personal preference.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 12th, 2020 at 23:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 23:13   #3
ferg55

Note that:

Both 18" & 19" rims with 245 tyres require a steering deflection limiter fitted.

19" rims can only be fitted with the R-design or Sport chassis. The note in the UK Accessories page does make this clear, however in US documentation it is written as a safety risk warning. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but probably risk of the tyre contacting something under certain conditions. The 4C electronic adaptive chassis is not the Sport chassis by the way so isn't suitable for 19" rims; the Sport chassis is a stiffer passive set-up and was introduced 09 onwards on SE & SE Lux as standard, but not all have it as the Comfort chassis was often specified instead.

Last edited by ferg55; Feb 14th, 2020 at 23:16.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote