Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drone! How do I get rid?

Views : 909

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2020, 18:09   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Default Drone! How do I get rid?

Afternoon all.

Hope everyone is safe and well with all that's going on. I have a quick question and wondering if some gurus can help?

A few weeks ago I installed my FluxFab 3inch turbo back exhaust, I love how it all sounds and has improved my car majorly!

However I have a huge issue where i cant deal with the drone anymore! I'm tempted to to go back to standard!

Has anyone else got this sort of issue at all with their upgraded system?
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 18:58   #2
Austin160
Master Member

With a location of Heathrow, I would have thought that your drone would soon be impounded, and the problem would then go away!
Sorry about that.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 21:05   #3
Shinsplintz 101

Larger bore aftermarket sports (decat or 100/200 cel cats) exhausts have a tendancy to drone due to resonance at mid range rpms - like when you are sitting at 50 on a dual carriage way!

Great noise under load if you like that sort of thing, but bloody irritating otherwise.

Get a bespoke cat back done would be my advice, not as expensive as you might think & they can make it as loud/quiet as you like.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 22:25   #4
Mkengineering
Master Member

I work as a engineer at Heathrow airport. So far no issue at all. But I bought the exhaust from flux not so long ago.

But I think I will be removing it and selling it on as I'm missing my crusing sound.

Shame really it's a really nice exhaust
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 05:26   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

If it's that irritating I'm sure you're not the first to complain. Have you spoken with Flux to see if they can fit a mid range resonator to counteract the drone?

You can see the resonator in this IPD exhaust (centre section) and there's also an old thread on the same subject over on Volvospeed.

I'm almost certain the original Volvo exhaust on my old T4 had a great lump of metal attached to it post cat...like a dead weight...to counteract vibration from the pipe I always thought. Clan will be along shortly to correct me one this

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:38   #6
s1monc

I have just bought a T-5R with a flux fabrications 3 inch downpipe and JT exhaust. It sounds like a 90s touring car! Reminds me of my old modified Cossie days. If I had to use the car to go to work or traveling about I’d have to quieten it down as yes it drones at certain revs. It does get quieter once it’s fully warmed up though but still loud. I have another T-5R with standard downpipe and cat with a Jetex exhaust and that is so quiet inside the cabin when cruising.

I’d try a place that makes exhausts and ask them what they can do to lessen the drone. A place local to me that is very good and I’ve used before is Powerspeed exhausts at Ashford Kent.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 16:54   #7
Mkengineering
Master Member

Appreciate for all the comment guys.

I've come to a decision that I am going to remove the exhaust and go back to standard.

The exhaust will be up for sale here soon. So if anyone wants it, please Dm me.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 19:35   #8
Mkengineering
Master Member

Sorted my drone.

Removed my rear silencer and gone to a straight pipe