Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SatNav?

Views : 1223

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 16:39   #1
r-designbob
Premier Member

Default SatNav?

Sorry if going over old ground but what make of SatNav is factory fitted?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 19:40   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Sorry if going over old ground but what make of SatNav is factory fitted?
Navteq software - not sure who makes the actual hardware though that is possibly immaterial

Are you happy with it - I find it very good and using the nipple is really easy, much easier than trying to stretch over into a position where I am not in full control to use a touch screen
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 20:03   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

Navteq is the supplier of the data used to compile the map, they don't generally provide navigation software as they stick to just mapping - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 21:07   #4
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Navteq software - not sure who makes the actual hardware though that is possibly immaterial

Are you happy with it - I find it very good and using the nipple is really easy, much easier than trying to stretch over into a position where I am not in full control to use a touch screen
Yes I am extremely happy
As I said b/4 I got it free, so I would be ungrateful if I said no.

The controls (nipple) on the Steering column is great. this will be my first inbuilt SatNav as I only had a cheapo stick on Garmin.

I found a DVD reader Plus 3 DVD's in the Tailgate yesterday. So I guess this is where one updates etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to r-designbob For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:38   #5
XC60KEV
Master Member

Question

Ive had a look on the volvo site and forum about the updates. When a new release or update is available do they send you a free disc?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:59   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Yes I am extremely happy
As I said b/4 I got it free, so I would be ungrateful if I said no.

The controls (nipple) on the Steering column is great. this will be my first inbuilt SatNav as I only had a cheapo stick on Garmin.

I found a DVD reader Plus 3 DVD's in the Tailgate yesterday. So I guess this is where one updates etc?
You are correct - load the appropraite disc into the reader on the LHS under the top lid.

Not sure what the current offers are for updates - when I purchased last yera they were giving 2 years updates for free, I expect that i will get the new discs sometime soon - though I am not in a hurry for them - ideally don't want any until they have the new Hindhead Road system on them

I asked about the satnav as I keep seeing post that say it is rubbish, yet I find it very good and I also find that the traffic updates are accurate and timely. The only issue is that when it gets a message of traffic incidents it will tell if the new route is shorter or longer in distance only, not in time
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 09:43   #7
XC60Monkey

Got my first map update last month just over a year after purchase. They send them out on the anniversary rather than upon a new release.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC60Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:26   #8
nosmoking

Default Updates

If you are eligible for two free updates (I think the deal is still current in the UK) you have to register with Volvo MapCare. There should be a voucher in the DVD case, but you can also do it online. You will need your VIN.

I received my first update direct from Navteq about two months after purchase, so I think they are issued on release rather than on purchase anniversary.

I also don't understand the negative posts. It may have more of a 'minimalist' approach compared to some others, but for me it works perfectly. The traffic alerts are spot on and I can't praise the steering wheel controls enough.
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nosmoking For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:17   #9
Teejay1
Master Member

I agree, I've not used it long and won't have it on my own car, but the steering wheel control works very well and is very intuitive. There are areas that I'd like improvements like uploading your own POI. Only thing wrong with it is the price is to much. Had it been 5-6 hundred I would have got it.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 18:29   #10
mauricef

Default Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj5cott View Post
Ive had a look on the volvo site and forum about the updates. When a new release or update is available do they send you a free disc?
I took contact with Navteq thet said my first update was due in august 2011.
2011 XC60 D3 fwd.
mauricef is offline   Reply With Quote