Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321851

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 22:32   #2081
alanoconnor

Hmmm...Gloria still in the garage - 3 weeks and counting.

The ABS problem returned after spending £700 eradicating it. Bad pennies and all that.

So, the garage had a theory: "The engine is running so hot it is boiling the brake fluid." Sounded like BS to me. Anyway, he phones me up and says he has wrapped bacofoil round the sensors and the ABS light has gone out (oh dear).

Gloria then failed her MOT on emissions and rear drop links - I am starting to think she really doesn't like me.

She is ready according to the call I had earlier. The misfire she had was a bad coil.

Currently searching for K & N heatshields for the filter and looking at anything else I can do to reduce the engine compartment temperature.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 00:42   #2082
paddy74

I'd rather look why it is so hot... Brake fluid should have a boiling point of 265°C

That would worry me...

I'm not registered here for long, but it's not my first "modern" Volvo, and tbh I've never heard or read about such high temperatures!
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:17   #2083
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post

Currently searching for K & N heatshields for the filter and looking at anything else I can do to reduce the engine compartment temperature.
Try removing the under engine splash/noise shield - it improves air flow round the engine significantly which means the engine stays cleaner too

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 15:43   #2084
alanoconnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
I'd rather look why it is so hot... Brake fluid should have a boiling point of 265°C

That would worry me...

I'm not registered here for long, but it's not my first "modern" Volvo, and tbh I've never heard or read about such high temperatures!
Yeah - that's what I said. Initially I said to him it was the sensors, rings or the steering wheel angle thingy. The ABS light came on again after his attempt at covering the sensors with tin foil.

He is now swapping over the sensors....
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 16:23   #2085
paddy74

It's just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be good to open a seperate thread for your problem? I'm quite sure, in this thread here it doesn't get that much attention.

What I would do first, check the cooler, the coolant and these things. To hot means mostly, the cooling isn't effective enough. And really, I'm very active in boards, but boiling brake fluid hasn't come up in all these years...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 17:51   #2086
alanoconnor

Yeah - a separate post called 'Gloria' - I could list all of her issues and I could be bound to her and the Volvo Forum for Infinity. Hmmmmm...
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 18:01   #2087
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanoconnor View Post
Yeah - a separate post called 'Gloria' - I could list all of her issues and I could be bound to her and the Volvo Forum for Infinity. Hmmmmm...
You are already! C'mon, it's not your first Volvo, and it won't be your last. With every other car I drove in between my Volvos, I knew more and more where I belong to...

But to get back on topic, I finally found the time to adjust my parking brake. Turns out, the pliers I bought years ago for my bike, are perfect to push this adjuster thingy back.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 18:09   #2088
ASt85
Premier Member

I finally got round to pressing a few of the car "input" buttons when using VIDA eg car door locks, child locks, air con settings, heater output, mirror positions, wiper rain settings & etc - all of a sudden all but two DTCs are removed....it pays to read the help booklet

BEFORE PRESSING LOCK BUTTONS ETC.
[IMG][/IMG]

AFTER PRESSING LOCK BUTTONS ETC.
[IMG][/IMG]

Getting there albeit very slowly!

Now it is just the well documented alarm module problem and the air quality sensor.

Does anyone know if the air quality sensor can be refurbished?

There is a suggestion that compressed air will clean the sensor. However, other searches suggest cleaning damages the sensor. Does it have to be Volvo OEM or will a Bosch, Audi, Mercedes or VW sensor work?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 17th, 2019 at 18:19.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 18:12   #2089
Willow place

Repairing (Bodging) wing mirror after the Stupid (Sxxt for brains woman) decided to open her door while STANDING beside her car !!! Managed to pick up all bits except glass, had to bang the metal about a bit where the mirror was attached to the door (distorted) The BAD part was telling her to follow me over the bridge so it would not cause a traffic hold up, I went left and she raced straight on !! Got some photos , but the guardia here are not interested, will be looking next week for this Bitch !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 21:57   #2090
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

ASt85: These are my IAQS notes taken from years of reading. I realize they don't address your question of cleaning. I'd guess something which reacts to vapors would wear out chemically and simply can't be cleaned.
Hope this helps.
IAQS sensor (VAG part #1K0907659) for pre-facelift cars.
p/n 08665059 is off a pre-facelift Volvo sensor.
p/n 31369324 (FCP no gots) is said to be for facelift cars (board member)
p/n 30676508 for facelift cars (board member)
Hella p/n 6PX-012-684-061 ordered through https://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/air-...U?bSearch=true
p/n 8674719 (taken off a Behr replacement pre-facelift)

To WILLOW place: Careful when confronting (read that as "threatening") any woman. The "broken mirror defense" doesn't work for murder or assault.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post: