Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheels wanted XC60

Views : 1518

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:10   #1
swishtony
Master Member

Default Winter wheels wanted XC60

Not even sure what size I need, I know very little about cars. A bit like art, as they say, 'I don't know much about it but I know what I like'!

About to buy a new XC-60 with 20" Axions and know I will probably need 18" winter wheels? I have no clue as to sizes though, is the width critical, I assume so? If so does anybody know what size is best for this car?

With or without tyres will be fine.

Many thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 07:25   #2
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Must admit, I don't know the size yet, but will likely do the same!

The manual should say the wheel sizes, and for winter wheels you actually want the smallest wheels allowed (maybe 17" ones ? Makes for cheaper rubber too !)

You could check mytyres for wheel/tyre combinations, that would give you the new price cost.
Continental have won the past couple of years autoexpress tests for winter tyres....I've also had Nokian in the past. By there are others (always the option to try Vredsteins all season, although I feel if you are keeping the car for more than 3 or 4 years,you may as well. Invest in proper winters and take the chance to get them rebalanced on each changeover.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 15:21   #3
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quick look on mytyres suggests a few possible sizes:
235/60 R17 seems the most common, but some options shown include 245/65, or 235/56
Cost for the Conti wintercontacts with new matt black wheels are under 900, which doesn't look too bad (when you consider the rubber cost might be about 600 and will balance out the unused rubber on your summer tyres over a few years!)
18" options are there but look to all go way over the £1,000 mark.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...nd-prices-2014 was the latest review of the tyres. Ultimately I bet ANY are better than regular summer tyres, & you can see in those kind of review some of the margins between the brands are tiny.....but they typically all work better than summer ones once the temp drops below about 7% !

Tempting to go for them (our XC will be with us in Sept, & I tend to put the winter wheels on in November)

Last edited by MikeIOW; Jun 19th, 2014 at 15:40.
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 22:16   #4
swishtony
Master Member

Am planning to keep this car for at least 5 years. I ski every year and will take this next season, I know I may still need chains but the winter tyres will be great. I put some Nokians on a C Max last year and was getting up and down every single hill with them on leaving most 4 wheel drive vehicles behind.

The cost to keep swapping tyres actually does mount up but that's not the main reason for getting winter wheels. Main reason is 20" winter tyres hard to come by and if they are available are very expensive. Will work out cheaper over the long term to get wheels.

Yes as you say 235/60 17" or 18" seem most common. I haven't actually considered 17" wheels for some reason, I will take a look especially if they are that much cheaper. Thanks.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 12:38   #5
GJB
Premier Member

On Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-GUNMETA...item3a926ee5b4
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 14:38   #6
Daniel TD5

Default pan alloy

dear all

i have a set of 18 pan alloys with conti eco 5 tryes the are like new being removed from a 2013 se lux two week after it left the dealers winters fitted

then changed to all season type so not needed

would like nearest to £950.00
Daniel TD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 18:14   #7
Stevelimabravo

Couple of sets of 18 inch with winter tyres on ebay
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevelimabravo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 16:29   #8
swishtony
Master Member

OK thanks for any suggestions. Have just bought a new set from a Volvo dealer. 18" Mantus with Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. Got a good deal I think, £900. Those tyres new would come to around £620 I believe. Cheapest second hand ones I could find were about £850. If anyone else is looking for a set message me as I think he has a few more sets available. Apparently they over-ordered last winter expecting a harsh few months and then got stuck with them.
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:25   #9
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I know it is perhaps blindingly obviously "yes"....but I'm looking at maybe getting aftermarket 17" rims for winter wheels.....
...& the web site I am examining doesn't have the D4 FWD listed.

Is it fair to assume (go on, tell me "of course" !) that if I pick a 2.0T model, the wheel size will be identical?

Sizes show up as:
Measurements: 7.50J x 17 OS 48 mm
Number of holes / Bolt circle: 5 / 108.00 mm

I know, it MUST be yes...right?

A set with Cooper Discoverer-MplusS-Sport comes in just over £700....although having not had Coopers before, I may go with Nokian WR-SUV-3 235/65 R17 108H coming in around £765.

thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 13:51   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Mike - I can't comment on the size issue but I have just bought a set of the Coopers as well. WMorrison on here recommended them, he has had them on his car for the last few winters, and they also got very good reviews in a Canadian car magazine which impressed me. Nokians are of course very solid so you can not go wrong there if you choose those.