Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 front top strut mount nightmare

Views : 2771

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 13:11   #1
stephenjoyce

Default T4 front top strut mount nightmare

Hi I thought I would have a go at changing my top strut mounts, looked a simple job, mine have been knocking since I bought the car.
Planned in advance bought spring compressor, 2x top mount and even a air ratchet to undo what has been described as a next to impossible nut to undo, namely the nut on top of piston.
Stripped car of strut , nice sunny morning, managed that ok, compressed spring ok, ratchet would not undo piston nut, seemed useless ( silver line) but managed to get it off eventually using a spanner and mole grips, then found new mounts didn't fit (thanks Mikes garage Dublin ) had to go to Volvo as all motor factors said didn't stock, paid a fortune, but they did fit!
Next day bolt them to car all ok I thought, until I moved steering lock to lock the noise sounded like the bearing were ratcheting, I thought this doesn't sound right, so had a look on forum for tips, I didn't know that there were alighnment marks on the strut( some post say that you have to alighnment top and bottom holes, some say 20 degrees to left or right depending on which side the strut is fitted)
To cut a long story short I have tried all positions the struts have been on and of the car 5 times one of the springs is now deformed due to being compressed so mant times, the noise is still there, I'm having a nervouse breakdown wish I'd taken it to a garage in first place, the car seem to drive ok, I have a mot due next week, stressed about taking it there as they will think who the hell has been messing with this.
Any help would be appreciated
stephenjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephenjoyce For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 14:26   #2
Mount vision rider
Master Member

I've got a a knocking coming from my drivers side strut, it's been up
On the ramps and can't find anything wrong my mate suggested sometimes it's the shock themselfs what bang!!??

In reference to the springs they are naturally bent as I've just replaced all four sides and they want to sat on the shockers with the behind on the Middle of the springs facing in towards the engine bay.

Good luck, hope you sort it as there is nothing more annoying then a knocking noise you can't find
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 18:15   #3
310den

Were the wheels on the ground when you did lock to lock as when the wheels are off the ground you will hear a noise when turning lock to lock?
310den is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 310den For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 18:17   #4
stephenjoyce

Hi thanks for your reply
One of my strut mounts was totally shot, if it's your mount knocking you would have noticed the play init when you changed your springs, it's hard to find with springs In place
Good luck
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 22:46   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Wow, how frustrating. Been there done that. I swear I've had to remove mine about 10 times - I'm not kidding. In regards to lining up the top and bottom holes vIDA suggests that if they are the "comfort" springs then the holes should line right up. If they are "sport" suspension they should be angles 20deg...can't rber which way though. Are you sure you put all the bits in including the little plastic white reign that fits over the bearing?

How tightly did you put the top nut back on. The mechanic at my dealership told me to use the impact wrench on it until it started to spin.

Not that it really matter I think but did you grease the outside of the bearing? VIDA also suggests this but not sure it is necessary.

Lastly are you sure you put the spring in right side up?

My tale of woe ended when I finally caved and got ride of the crappy springs I had on there Nd went back to volvo oem. Now it handles just beautifully and its totally quiet...finally!

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 22:51   #6
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Best way of doing it is to mark the position of the struts with white paint,also top and bottom bolts, i cant see aslong as everything was put on properly the top mount bearing,coil spring.why you are having difficulty.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 09:43   #7
Wainfleet

Smile

[QUOTE=stephenjoyce;1866158] I didn't know that there were alighnment marks on the strut( some post say that you have to alighnment top and bottom holes, some say 20 degrees to left or right depending on which side the strut is fitted)

It depends on what year your car is, according to the book [quote] on all models except later (2000-on) Sport or Dynamic models, make sure the spring seat holes are correctly aligned with the three bolt holes on the strut lower spring seat.

On 2000-on Sport or Dynamic models the reference hole in the upper spring seat should be turned clockwise so it sits at 20' to the corresponding bolt in the lower spring seat. Both left and right hand strut upper seats are rotated clockwise. [unquote]

hope this helps
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 11:18   #8
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Yep get you're bottom bolts in first although not torqued up, then reach up and turn the whole top part of the assembly clockwise until you get all three bolts lined up push or use a jack push the whole strut up until the threaded stalks are through,put the 3 bolts on then torque everything up three smaller ones hand tight and a bit, that's what i did.

I marked the bolts as i took them off t for top b for bottom, then it went back exactly how it came off.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 12:01   #9
stephenjoyce

Hi does it jacked up and on the ground
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 12:19   #10
stephenjoyce

Hi I put new Volvo bearings in
I didn't grease the outside
I put the spring back on in original place, bottom of spring up against the stop, top part rubber was clearly in dented so easy to place back in same place
When the whole assembly was out of the car, the top mount spun freely with out noise, it's only when I bolted and torqued it correctly,all up to car that the problem became apparent
Then I took them off lined bottom hole with top hole, still noises,
Took them off again tried the 20 degree advice, still noises
Car is a 2002 v40 t4
I don't think there are 3 bolt holes on bottom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenjoyce For This Useful Post: