Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo finally recall cars over the ETM issue

Views : 144073

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2008, 20:03   #31
TomW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned Thing View Post
Just had my 2001 S60 (98k) give up it's throttle body.
Regularly serviced over the last 5 years at a Volvo dealership.
Just back from them on Monday when I'd left it in for wishbones, brake pads and discs, and told them it was dropping revs and lacking power. Got told on picking it up that it had been thoroughly checked and there was loads of power and no issues, and that it 'might be in my head'. So I go on a three day break with it yesterday only for it to pack in miles from any big town after doing about 90 miles. The AA, thankfully, get me to a small town garage and in 15 minutes I'm told the readings are that it's a throttle regulator issue. Takes me 5 hours to get home, taking it gently; it packs in twice on the way back.

I'm absolutely livid.

I've always bought Volvos, my wife's always bought Volvos and her family have always bought Volvos (well, since the 70s and the 240GL). All 5 cars (S60, two v70s and 2 940s) were all (except one of the v70s) going to be traded in over the next 6-12 months for newer versions. Not now. Not ever.
Just taken my S40 bi fuel in to main agent and they did a diagnostic test for £80.
Quoted me £337 to replace gas filter and throttle position sensor, clean throttle housing and adjust pressure. I presume this is the dreaded ETM is it?

They told me that by doing the above work they could not guarantee the fault would be cured. They did say it usually sorts problem out!! Car had been giving trouble switching over to petrol every thirty secs so I was having to continually switch it back to gas.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 23:21   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

no, the S40 Bi-Fuel has a conventional manual throttle , see my help in your other post on this matter ...
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:50   #33
itguy

Anyone any further on with this now?

Is there a 'standard' way of getting any discount/volvo involement in this?

Looks like my car is in need of a new ETM now (90k, 2000 V70 T5) so I'm keen to explore all money saving avenues!

Local dealer has quoted £300 fitted so far...
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:11   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post

Looks like my car is in need of a new ETM now (90k, 2000 V70 T5) so I'm keen to explore all money saving avenues!

The volvo involment is over it finished last year , they have already discounted the costs , it used to be nearly £700!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 22:29   #35
wadey

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post

To be honest, my son's a mechanic, £300 may turn out to be a bargain
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 13:40   #36
hermo

Unhappy Surging on/off acceleration

Hi all
I have a 2003 registered S60 2.4T with similar symptoms e.g. when accelerating hard the acceleration is very on off. Its not there all the time but seems to be getting worse. Info I saw seemed to say only up to 2002 models are affected but could this be my fault too? Car has only done 67k miles!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:19   #37
ctautos

Default registered

it may be a 2002 but registered 2003 mine is a late 2003 but it is a 2004
ctautos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctautos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 18:04   #38
bart586

Volvo UK are unbelievable, Given us all the Finger, At least US have sorted it

Mine went on my 2001 V70 T5, Had the soaftware, and now trying other ETM's and sensors, Have some success for a week or so, then its back to limp mode again every few miles, or sometimes it'll do 20 before dropping

Surely there must be a way to deactivate the limp mode with software, as when its running its going great! Anyone know any hacks yet??

Bring back the throttle cable!!

Thanks!
bart586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 02:35   #39
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart586 View Post
Volvo UK are unbelievable, Given us all the Finger, At least US have sorted it

Mine went on my 2001 V70 T5, Had the soaftware, and now trying other ETM's and sensors, Have some success for a week or so, then its back to limp mode again every few miles, or sometimes it'll do 20 before dropping

Surely there must be a way to deactivate the limp mode with software, as when its running its going great! Anyone know any hacks yet??

Bring back the throttle cable!!

Thanks!
I clear my codes with a £30 OBD reader and that stops it going into limp mode
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 22:46   #40
volvoguy

got a used ETM to replace my blown one. got it on, works perfect except for one glitch-does not keep idle steady. All codes got erased, revs up smooth, very nice sound, OBD comes with no faults.
seems to be a software upload to make new ETM compatible with current ECU. Any ideas other than a dealer jobby? Not really wanting to invest into Vida/DiEC tools myself.
thanks!
volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoguy For This Useful Post: