Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many of you?

Views : 2881

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2020, 19:47   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Talking How many of you?

Just out of curiosity really here is; How many of you lot actually modify your Volvo 850 t5's

As I've been on this forum for awhile,I've noticed there isnt much tuning or big builds going on? Or are there too many old duffers on this forum ( by the way that was a joke guys so dont take offense. I'm 32 so I'm classed as old )

Anywho I'm just saying it would be nice to see if any of you are building a powerhouse 850 or v70 t5 always love seeing these sort of things. I know the Americans and Europeans love tunning these cars and are getting silly power out of them!

At the moment I'm working on my T5.

Already have a list of parts which are waiting to go on or are on.

18g turbo (did have a 19t, but sold it for the G series )
Custom front mount intercooler (currently I'm making it)
3inch catless turbo back system (flux fab)
BMW 540i Maf housing
4inch AEM dry flow air filter
Gripper diff ( to be installed )
650cc injectors (to be installed )
Updated walbro fuel pump ( to be installed)
Bc racing coilovers
Custom built short shifter (aluminium billet steel )
Polly bushes suspension components ( too many to list)
R bumpers
17inch genuine titan alloys wrapped in ps cups
Custom maps from Holland schutten Tunning.
V70r front calipers ( need to make brackets) p2 model

So yeah just wondering if anyone else here has gone to this extent like me? Would be good to read

Cheers guys
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 20:15   #2
Mkengineering
Master Member

Oh also I've installed a japifold manifold which I've ported
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 04:52   #3
PNuT
MaDMaN

Yes, I have a money pit outside.....

But it is not an 850, had one didn't like it & went back to 70 series
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 05:52   #4
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
Yes, I have a money pit outside.....

But it is not an 850, had one didn't like it & went back to 70 series
What's been done on it? Still working on it? Doesnt matter if its not a 850.

I just wanted too see what other members are doing ect? As it all just seems theres not much life in the Volvo community? Which I am sure that isnt true. At some point this week I'll be writing up my build on my car plus the build of the evo 6 ( if anyone was intrested )

I'm hoping with the Volvo il break the 400bhp and with the evo a nice reliable 600bhp.

Unless your 60+ and smoke a pipe and speak the queens english then,its hoots of fun (again just a little fun and joke)
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 08:48   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

I think you will find most on here are the 'vanilla missionary position' type of chaps. The serious modders are generally on the T5D5 or Swedespeed forums.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 08:50   #6
Clogs
Clogs

Default Modifying and insurance hikes

Insurance policies ask if the car has been modified. If you answer yes, then your premium will rise to a level that is greater than the value of the car. An 850 is never going to be worth more than £500 when you write it off or have accident damage "beyond economical repair" and have to fight to get a higher valuation. For every £250 spent on modifications, the value of your car increases by not a single penny in the eyes of the insurance industry... in fact it may become less valuable!
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 10:19   #7
taiwan740

I mostly can't be bothered with modifying. It generally introduces more issues than its worth. Plus it's spendy.

Parts for the 850 are insane money as it is.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 12:45   #8
Gonzobard

I’ve had my 850 R for nearly 12 months now and have really enjoyed it. In terms of mods it has a bigger stainless exhaust but that is about it. It needs some work to make it more presentable before I make any significant modifications (wheels refurb, paint in places) but I could be tempted by some mods. When I bought it the car was very low, but the springs had been badly cut and needed replacement, so it is back on stock springs. I did like the stance, though. Cornered flat but did rattle a lot! The car is a daily driver, so reliability is important and whilst I can do some work on it I don’t have the knowledge to do it all. 302mm front brakes sound good, braided hoses, and perhaps an ecu upgrade to somewhere approaching 300bhp might be in order. I’ll get it tidier first. I had thought about buying a really nice one, but with prices of £8K and more I probably won’t. Oh, and mine has been converted from auto to manual and I much prefer it that way.
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzobard For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 13:31   #9
Shinsplintz 101

As someone above mentioned, T5d5 - which can now be found on Facebook - used to be the most reliable place for modding info on the volvo turbo models - lots if clever & motivated folk on there who - a font of useful knowledge. Shame the website ws retired. No idea what its like now tbh, dont do Faceache.

Most of us who modify - and there are a few of us lurking - come here for general information, buy & sell oem spares and to share a bit of knowledge on the marque with folk new to the joys of p80 ownership.

My only comment on your spec list is the map. To get the best of your build get it live mapped. Tim Williams is the best at this in the UK. But ia a bastard to get hold of.

Realistically you won't see much over 340bhp with the turbo & the 2.3 lump, and it will run super hot as you push the boost pressure up to achieve higjer bhp. Cooling is king - the whiteblock runs hot - try to keep boost pressure a low as possible - no replacement for displacement - so a phase 2 bottom end turbo lump 2.4 or 2.5 mated to me4. 4 head works well.

Have fun
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 13:35   #10
Shinsplintz 101

Rods. Your going to need forged conrods. Standard fo chocolate around 300bhp.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote