Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Self healing V70

Views : 877

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2020, 17:31   #1
TeamG
Master Member

Default Self healing V70

Time for a bit of fun. I’ve always maintained my cars meticulously, but frugally. So service myself, regularly (every 6-8 months, despite ~6/7000 miles annually across two cars. Frugally as in I check online for offers and buy brands with a good reputation, but not necessarily the original kit. I inspect daily (ex-army, so first parade checks every day). Yes, that does mean I check fluids, bulbs, pressures etc every day. In 28 years of driving, I’ve had one trip to a garage except for MOTs. This year, clutch and DMF replacement on the V70 which I could just not do with no lift and my rebuilt shoulder (with only one bicep tendon).

So this pains my OCD, but I’m tempted to try. My V70 is the dog/tip run car, but how long would it last with minimum expenditure and zero maintenance other than safety/legal stuff. So check regularly and only do stuff that’s free, or essential. Tyres will be budgets at 1.6mm tread. Anything that breaks will be the cheapest replacement available, from a scrappy etc. And no more servicing other than topping up fluids. I will just do the cam belt before I go for it, but time to see if my V70 is actually self healing.

Tax, MOT and insurance will be less than £200/year, so other than fuel, this should be cheap motoring!
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 19:18   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

How long is a piece of string? No car is going to last without servicing it. Granted you don't do high mileage, but that doesn't mean you stop servicing the car if you expect it to last. So I would consider your servicing as essential if I were you, if you expect the car to last that is. If you start skipping services, leaving old/dirty oil in the engine... You're just asking for trouble. Checking the fluids etc is good practice though, but remember, even they need to be changed at some point (Power steering fluid, coolant etc for example). To be honest, a car can be run under minimal expenditure, but things do break as you well know & it will start to cost money at some point in time. There's nothing wrong with using cheap parts as such, but there's also risk of them being absolute junk at the same time & sometimes, its just the best option to put decent parts on the car if you intend on it lasting for a long period of time.

Changing tyres at 1.6mm is fine because they're still legal. However, personally, I wouldn't recommend letting a tyre go that low if you want decent grip etc. There's no harm in using cheaper parts from scrap yard's, but I'd consider what I was buying at the same time. If a part you were looking for come off a car that had huge miles on it, then I'd refrain from buying that part & look for the same part off a lower mileage vehicle as an example. Yes, it would cost more, but you don't want to be parting with your money for junk parts at the same time. Don't stop servicing though.

I quote a post you made from another topic that I read earlier in the week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
I’m sorry, but your price is looking ambitious for the remaining tread. A new set of these is £376.76 for 4 on Tyreleader.co.uk. That’s with 8mm of tread and brand new. Yours appear to have 4mm remaining, but the edges appear more scrubbed than that. I also have not seen the date stamp, so no idea of how old.

Based on all seasons due for changing at 3mm, one fifth of the remaining tread would suggest these are worth £75.35. To someone who changes at 2mm, that’s one third tread remaining, which is £125.59.
I don't know why you bothered replying to this topic, knowing that the seller wanted £325 for the set of tyres. That's not exactly running on a 'budget' & they have way more than 1.6mm tread remaining anyway. What a seller chooses to price his/her items at is entirely their decision. They don't need a lecture on pricing because you've decided to skimp on the running costs of your car.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 17th, 2020 at 19:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 19:50   #3
TeamG
Master Member

Perhaps I should have added more context. I have a 3yr old XC60 which is used for family/work. I wouldn’t skimp I this car, as it usually would do an annual trip to my place of origin in Bavaria, fully loaded and with wife and kids. I use good quality aftermarket parts and premium tyres, but shop around and maintain myself. Due to low miles, I tend to replace service items early.

The V70 I have has three functions. Transporting multiple golden retrievers, short distances to places for fun walks (depositing long hair in both directions and usually mud for the return journey). Transporting building material home for our renovation project (usually <3 miles). Transporting crap to the tip (1.4 miles). In the worst of winter, it doesn’t leave the house, so I can accept budget tyres left to the legal min. It’s also a 1.6 drive, so that adds context. I’ve driven army vehicles that are quicker, even when limited.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old May 17th, 2020, 20:25   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Perhaps I should have added more context. I have a 3yr old XC60 which is used for family/work. I wouldn’t skimp I this car, as it usually would do an annual trip to my place of origin in Bavaria, fully loaded and with wife and kids. I use good quality aftermarket parts and premium tyres, but shop around and maintain myself. Due to low miles, I tend to replace service items early.

The V70 I have has three functions. Transporting multiple golden retrievers, short distances to places for fun walks (depositing long hair in both directions and usually mud for the return journey). Transporting building material home for our renovation project (usually <3 miles). Transporting crap to the tip (1.4 miles). In the worst of winter, it doesn’t leave the house, so I can accept budget tyres left to the legal min. It’s also a 1.6 drive, so that adds context. I’ve driven army vehicles that are quicker, even when limited.
As the V70 is only used for short drives etc. Change the cam belt like you said you were planning to do, as that's an essential item really (If its due though, of course). Check your tyre pressures, fluids etc regularly like you do & replace the tyres as & when they're needed.

With regards to servicing the car, I personally believe that a car should be serviced annually or by mileage (Whichever comes first). So even if you don't do mega miles throughout the year, I'd still make it a habit to service the car annually. A service isn't going to cost you that much really, so again, I wouldn't skimp on the servicing. Short journeys aren't particularly great for a car either, so oil changes are important & so is bringing it for a longer run every now & again (If its a Diesel, particularly). This all boils down to personal preference, of course & there probably is no right or wrong answer. However, I service my car every year, regardless of the mileage its done.

Wouldn't one car do you? Yes, the XC60 might get a bit dirty every now & again. A bit of a hoover, or some mats/blankets in the back that you can wash/hoover would be cheaper than running a second car.

Just a suggestion...

Last edited by Kev0607; May 17th, 2020 at 20:32.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 20:29   #5
TeamG
Master Member

It’s not that, it would just be the experiment to see if I could just run it into the ground. Just the thought of it gets my OCD sweating. I bet within 9 months I’d excuse a cheeky oil change.....

Does anyone actually do this though? Air in the tyres and hope for the best?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old May 17th, 2020, 20:37   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
It’s not that, it would just be the experiment to see if I could just run it into the ground. Just the thought of it gets my OCD sweating. I bet within 9 months I’d excuse a cheeky oil change.....

You probably can run it into the ground. I understand that you may not to spend as much on it, or treat it so to speak as much as your XC60.

Its not doing big miles, so check the fluids etc regularly & treat it to an oil change once a year. You probably can run it into the ground (If you mean keep it for years), but the only way to do that is to maintain it properly (Including servicing). Or, stop maintaining it & it'll grind to a half faster.
Old May 18th, 2020, 02:45   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Most of my previous cars were run without even an oil change let alone a cambelt job, only MOT work done, not so sure ive ever scrapped a car either, if i have it was only once, i juts cannot remember so i wont say for sure. I have never been a good at service work, sometimes i will maybe give it an oil change, but that was quite rare up til i got this Volvo. I can only remember ever having a cambelt done and that was on an astra and a focus, both cars were done at the same time (his and hers lol) , other than that, i would just drive them, they were only ever cheapo jobs anyway. So running into the ground as you say, it could take a long time, or it could be the next day. I should add that cars normally stay with me for about 2 to 4 years then i get bored and sell it on, normally traded in.... Its a gamble...
Old May 19th, 2020, 11:48   #8
Montana
Master Member

Quote:

Yes - sounds very much like 'shedding' (lots of post on PistonHeads about it). I think the general ethos is to maintain safety but replacing/fixing/bodging parts by the lowest cost means possible. Lots of interesting information on there.

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 12:01   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not sure why you would want to own one of the safest cars on the road and cripple it with worn budget tyres and no maintenance.... if you want to try that experiment then I'd get a Mundano or a Vectra - lots of cheap second hand parts.

Essentially basic maintance vs no maintenance I don't think yields savings, probably is an on-cost. Basic maintenance vs main dealer - I get it. So does that mean you will ignore any warning lights and messages?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:43   #10
TeamG
Master Member

Perhaps re-read my first sentence at the top of the thread. I was thinking aloud (on this forum). Could I actually do this, or would the thought get the better of me? I’ve already alluded to it, but I’m diagnosed with mild OCD and nothing that I own has ever lacked maintenance.

What is interesting is the number of concerned responses and convincing arguments for not giving this a go. Perhaps the way my OCD works strikes a parallel with many on the forum?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)