Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slow stuttery acceleration, lose of power, rough idle

Views : 1136

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 02:07   #1
InkdOutLife

Cool Slow stuttery acceleration, lose of power, rough idle

2000 S40. 180,000 miles. For some time now the vehicle took a few seconds to start. Started better in cold weather. Some times right away. Coming back from out of town yesterday vehicle became very rough like. Meaning while idling it acts like it wants to cut out then catches its self. But does it over and over again. But only some of the times. Others it works and sounds fine. Or it might be as subtle as like a hickup in the idle every 10 sec or so. Has not stalled at all though. While driving there is now a rough stuttery puttering slow feel to acceleration worsened if i apply more pressure to gas pedal. Acts as if has no power. Then at times its fine. More Not though. PLEASE HELP i learn fast and am mechanically inclined, What can i do to fix. Thank you
InkdOutLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:06   #2
dieselderv

Sounds like the coil pack/packs to me
I had a v40 a couple of years back and 2 of mine were cracked
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:40   #3
Alexjansen

Could be the EGR That is nearly blocked, try and disconnect it
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:43   #4
JonnyBigWheels

I had a similar thing on my MK1 S40 1.6, try this, with the car running remove the plug from the MAF sensor (the part between the throttle body and the air box that has a loom going to it) then see if the car stays the same, it should stutter and die so if it doesn't it's either faulty or needs a clean so try cleaning it first, i got some electrical contact cleaner, took the MAF sensor off and cleaned the electrode with it, put it back together and hey presto, now it idles nicely and picks up as i feel it should for a 1.6.

See the meshed area, inside there is a tiny electrode poking out, spray the electrode cleaner onto it for around 10 then let dry, do not use any carb cleaner products as they might wreck the sensor.
Plug the sensor back in and start her up see how she sounds, if you notice a difference in a possitive way then that might be your solution, if not then i am lost beyond there.
As a process of elimination i would try this.

Last edited by JonnyBigWheels; Jun 22nd, 2016 at 07:50. Reason: Moved image and added text after image.
JonnyBigWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyBigWheels For This Useful Post:

Tags
rough acceleration, rough idle s40, slow rough start