Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S-40 1.9d 66kw 1997y. cold start problem

Views : 3717

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2014, 14:43   #1
lauztuvas

Default S-40 1.9d 66kw 1997y. cold start problem

Hi all. I have old volvo s-40 1997 years 1.9TD (turrbo diesel) 66 kw. It have problem with cold start. When i turn key engine is turnig and it starting but one or two second and engine stall of. But when i turn key to start enginen and pushing acelerator pedal, enginen is starting, and dont stalling. But it working poor- like one cilinder not workin. After abouth 10 second, i can relyse a pedal- engine is working. But enginen speed is about 800 rmp . When enginen is in working temperature, everthing is normal. So, i am cheked plung, and plung relay- everything is ok. Also I am replased fuel hose to transparent hose. There are no air in hose after long standing. Also i am replased fuel filter. There was an idea that is bad fuel injector. So that was true- 2 was bad, so i bought all four injectors new. Cold start become a little beter but not good like must by. Then temperature is 10 celcium cold- start engine after night is difficult. Also i am checked a compresiont: 20, 26, 26, 26 bar.
So any sugestions?
Thanks.
lauztuvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 02:05   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauztuvas View Post
Hi all. I have old volvo s-40 1997 years 1.9TD (turrbo diesel) 66 kw. It have problem with cold start. When i turn key engine is turnig and it starting but one or two second and engine stall of. But when i turn key to start enginen and pushing acelerator pedal, enginen is starting, and dont stalling. But it working poor- like one cilinder not workin. After abouth 10 second, i can relyse a pedal- engine is working. But enginen speed is about 800 rmp . When enginen is in working temperature, everthing is normal. So, i am cheked plung, and plung relay- everything is ok. Also I am replased fuel hose to transparent hose. There are no air in hose after long standing. Also i am replased fuel filter. There was an idea that is bad fuel injector. So that was true- 2 was bad, so i bought all four injectors new. Cold start become a little beter but not good like must by. Then temperature is 10 celcium cold- start engine after night is difficult. Also i am checked a compresiont: 20, 26, 26, 26 bar.
So any sugestions?
Thanks.

Check the head gasket is OK (No coolant loss, post start overflows or traces of oil and check oil for contamination).

It's rare to get a valve or ring issue on only one cylinder, so I wonder if the HG has cracked on the cylinder with the low compression.

Also take a look at the resistance of the glow plugs (Only a few ohms if OK), although the 1.9D will start OK in 10c without them. Might be a factor if it's more than one fault.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 15th, 2014 at 02:12.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 09:38   #3
lauztuvas

With antifreeze (coolant)- no loss. Also temperature (enginen) is normall. Yesterday I take a small trip . I went abouth 200km. Everythink is good. No coolant loss, no oil loss. Fuel consumption is 5.5l to 100km. It is very good for me. When runig at 100km/h speed and need to overtake a another car- no proble, it have power, going like petrol ( i have another car mercedes diesel 2.2 with 70kw. volvo goes faster and quicker like my mercedes). So, i am thinking abouth bad enginen time, or bad fuel pump. It Lucas pump in my car. And in my country all cars mechanic says- Lucas is **** becauce no one can repair it ant give quarantee . Also, when enginen cold, it give blue smokes- like not good burning fuel( in normal enginen temperature no blue smoke, only little bit if we suddenly push acelerator pedal to end)
HG - what is it?
Sorry for my language errors- my mother language is Lithuanian.

Last edited by lauztuvas; Dec 16th, 2014 at 10:02.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:09   #4
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauztuvas View Post
HG - what is it?
(Cylinder) Head Gasket
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 21:11   #5
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Have you had the coolant temperature sensor checked to see if it is giving a true read out?

When you say 10 degrees Celcius do mean +10 or -10?

What do the fault codes say, any misfires?
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 22:39   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Have you had the coolant temperature sensor checked to see if it is giving a true read out?

When you say 10 degrees Celcius do mean +10 or -10?

What do the fault codes say, any misfires?
Yep, the fault codes do need reading, although they probably don't record misfires for a diesel, one of the sensors like the coolant temp or fuel pressure regulator could be kaput.

How much oil does this engine use every 10K km ??

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 22:53   #7
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I wouldn't know how the ecu would pick up a misfire but I was basing that on a clio 1.5dci we recently had diagnosed as having a misfire on one cylinder.

I'm sure the renault 1.5dci engine must share some genes with our renault-volvo 1.9 diesel!
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 07:28   #8
lauztuvas

How much oil to 10000km- i cant say realy but not biger like 1 litre.
I want to say -10 cold.
My engine is no dci. Only td. There no presure regulator. In my car is only andvance time solenoid, Accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor (bouth on fuel pump), Needle lift sensor,Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, Idle control (IC) valve, EGR controller and two coolant temperature sensors( one sends signal to dash bord- temperature gauge, second menage fan) . first coolant sensor i am replaced, becauce it was bad- sometimes it show good engine temperature, sudenly that is hot, or in morning then engine is cold but show hot. So i replaced it- now everything is normal.
In instrument cluster i dont get avoid for errors.
http://img3.auto24.ee/auto24/560/782/42635782.jpg This is v-40 - not mine but enginen like in my car.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 08:59   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

You need to get the hidden fault codes read, otherwise you could finish up replacing almost everything before finding the fault. With most ECU common rail turbo diesels, if a fault can not be rectified by normal servicing, like cleaning the EGR or even cleaning the MAF sensor (Limp mode faults only), GET THE CODES READ.

The ECU program in question is 20 years old, so it will probably not identify an invidual injector or cylinder misfire and does not detect faults before the injection pump, like a blocked or leaky fuel filter. It also has no way of detecting a blocked EGR, CAT or even some turbo faults.

Never touch the injection system until you have tried using a direct feed cleaner, because at least half of all bad injectors are just gummed up. Injector tips should last at least 500K km plus, IF you use a real Volvo or Bosch (marked made in Germany only) fuel filter changed before it falls apart or blocks. The HP pumps also last almost forever (Longer than the injectors) IF you use good fuel filters AND high quality engine oil.

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 19:48   #10
lauztuvas

About CODES. With cheap obd cable it is not imposible to read codes. Only dealer can help in this?
My father have volvo 850 petrol - no problems to read codes. I readed few times .
SO meaby thera is sometfing secret way to get codes from my s-40 without dealer service(very expensive in my coutry) ?

Last edited by lauztuvas; Dec 17th, 2014 at 19:58.