Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S-40 1.9d 66kw 1997y. cold start problem

Views : 3687

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 23:35   #11
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I am not 100% sure but most good garages should be able to read most of the codes using licensed specific software for their hi-tec code reader.

This may not read and describe all the codes that volvos own software will.

You can get the software and diagnostic equipment on ebay but the diesel car ECU will only talk to the good copies of volvos equipment.

If you search the forum for VIDA and DICE you will find a lot about it.

Someone posted about a good setup to buy very recently so if you look through the last few pages of threads you may see it.
Old Dec 18th, 2014, 00:18   #12
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauztuvas View Post
About CODES. With cheap obd cable it is not imposible to read codes. Only dealer can help in this?
My father have volvo 850 petrol - no problems to read codes. I readed few times .
SO meaby thera is sometfing secret way to get codes from my s-40 without dealer service(very expensive in my coutry) ?
Try asking if anyone in your country has a Volvo codes reader in a local car forum. Also there is a chance one of the larger local garages has a Volvo code reader.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 09:42   #13
lauztuvas

So, I got a codes. Thera tree codes- 1.intake air temperature. 2.HO2s- lamda zond 3. Acelerator pedal sensor. Also they tryed to clean errors, but dont can. But mechanic says, that those errors cant influance enginen work so much. So , i have nothink at now.

Last edited by lauztuvas; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 09:55.
lauztuvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 20:56   #14
JonYorks

Fitting a new set of (decent brand) glowplugs might improve things.
JonYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 21:16   #15
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

I am thinking that of the faults listed, Intake Air Temperature is the most relevant to a cold-start problem

If its misreporting temperature, the car might be trying to do hotstarts when cold and as such would probably fail to spin up

The original post reports that it will start with the accelerator depressed. Which indicates it is too lean at startup, and underfuelling. Which leads me to think, fuel injection fault or incorrect temperature reading..

Quote:
When i turn key engine is turnig and it starting but one or two second and engine stall of. But when i turn key to start enginen and pushing acelerator pedal, enginen is starting,

Last edited by DXMachina; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 21:20.
DXMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DXMachina For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 21:35   #16
lauztuvas

Yes. At now i was reading VADIS. In this program also says that can be problems with cold starting engine then air sensor is dead. Also is increasing NOx . This sencor is Regulating EGR.
So meaby some can say how to check this sensor? BEcauce may be sensor or wiring between sensor and ECM.
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 16:08   #17
lauztuvas

Hi i change intake air temperature sensor, but there are no good news. Everythink (symtoms) are same as was before. But now i Want to wish Merry Christmas for all forum members.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 09:20   #18
lauztuvas

I made another errors test. I the same erros. But now i clear it. And no errrors in CEM. So to day is +2celcius in my coutry. My car started well without acelerator depresing. Then it started, it was work fine abouth 5-10 seconds. After whose seconds enginen begin let blue smoke, enginen speed(rpm) became not equal (abouth 100rpm up and down), no errors o milf lamp. So i turn of car, and started again- symtoms gone for while. But if enginen is in normal temperature, hot- no these symtoms at all- everythink is fine. Meaby to much blue smoke if i push acelerator suddenly. But that its, no more problems. So meaby some one have some suggestions abouth my intrestings problems. Thaks
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 11:33   #19
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Possibly glow plug related but unlikely, best way to check is with a current clamp around the thick wire leading to the plugs, but if you don't have one you can also check with a normal multimeter, by disconnecting the glow plugs & checking the resistance between each plug's terminal and earth. I'm not sure of the exact reading to look for but generally if a plug is working it will show resistance but if it's failed it will display an open circuit.

Another thing that worries me (more so than the glow plugs) is the low compression on cylinder #1, 20 bar versus 26 bar is about 85psi difference so that cylinder is WELL down on compression if the reading is true. I would re-check the compression and see if it really is that low. If it is, I would suggest removing the tester, adding 2 squirts (approx. 1 TEA spoon full, no more) of 10w40 engine oil from an oil can, down the hole & reconnecting the tester to check again, if the reading is now much more like the others then the fault is with piston rings/bore wear, if it is unchanged then the fault is either a valve or head/gasket failure.

Last edited by ma70; Jan 11th, 2015 at 11:35.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 12:57   #20
lauztuvas

About glow plung- i was tested it 2 weeks ago- all was good (these symtoms was then). glow plungs i am testing with bulb. I bring one H4 bulb - bouth "+" contact to one and to baterry "+" , bulb "-" contact to glow plung "+" contact. If bulb shine- plung is good. This test metod i am using always on my cars.
ANother thing, which i cant understand- why enginen 5-10 seconds after start ca work good, and only after those secons enginen change to bad side like i say in early post.
ALso abouth head gasket- imposible that compresions goes to enginen oils hole? Becauce, like i hear, almost always compresion goes to enginet colant if there is head gasket fail.