Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo: faulty or not ?

Views : 482

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 09:55   #1
Alexjansen

Default Turbo: faulty or not ?

Last month I was changing the turbo of an S40 1.9D that had, according to the owner, "a loss of power". So, after removing the said faulty turbo, I inspected it and saw no visible sign of failure. There is absolutely no play in it, and the propellers turn flawlessly on both sides. The turbo itself is nearly new, it was changed in june 2015 and has approximately 10.000km.
Thing is, when I replaced it with the used turbo I got off a dead V40, the problem was then fixed and the car was rolling again. BUT, when I changed the turbo, I had to put extra oil into the engine because level was just below the lowest OK, and I can't remember if there's wasn't something with the turbo exhaust hose...

In short, I'm wondering if the car's problem wasn't due to a lack of oil or a disconnected hose (damn.. I really can't remember), because once again the turbo I took off looks very good, no play, little dirt... and I'm telling myself maybe it can just be refitted after a good cleaning ? or maybe the turbo IS faulty indeed but I just can't see it.
I'd be happy to have your opinion on this. Thanks !
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 10:08   #2
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Lucky owner.
Do you think you could pencil me in for Tuesday

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 10:16   #3
Alexjansen

Pencil you in for tuesday ? what do you mean ?
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 12:00   #4
Alexjansen

Hey look at what I just found, this tiny broken metal bit running free into the turbo. I just inspected the turbo again and heard a tiny metal sound, so I shook it and this just fell from inside the turbo:

It looks like a blade from one of the shafts of the turbo, BUT, both shafts look OK !

So I really can't see where this tiny bit comes from if it isn't from a shaft. Or maybe there are inner blades inside the turbo that I can't see ?
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 10:55   #5
boyracer996

either the turbo is getting jammed by that piece of metal or possibly the vacuum hoses were not in the correct place
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:38   #6
Alexjansen

Yes maybe that piece of metal just got into the turbo one way or another and was blocking it. But I can't be sure so I don't know if I can take the risk and try that turbo again
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 09:57   #7
boyracer996

replace the core with a new one and your good to go
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote