Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure - Wheels rubbing - useful info!

Views : 236632

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2011, 15:57   #41
Brendan W
Premier Member

Have slight rubbing with 16" wheels. Just changed front tyres to Continental Premium Contact 205/55/16. The P6000 and Semperit Speedlife didn't rub. Recently passed the NCT so either they didn't notice or didn't care.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:08   #42
Orourke105

I have my MOT done at a impartial garage that only does MOT and minor adjustments, they don't do repairs so there's no reason for them to lie/mislead to make more money etc etc

I have a Volvo S60 Y Reg, 18" wheels, it came up on the advisory that the wheels rub slightly on full lock, but the mechanic put a note under it and said that it was perfectly normal for this type of car and wheel type, and is passable under VOSA

I think sometimes, like someone said above you need someone who knows about the cars, so they know its not an actual fault as such

Orourke105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 21:46   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orourke105 View Post
I have my MOT done at a impartial garage that only does MOT and minor adjustments, they don't do repairs so there's no reason for them to lie/mislead to make more money etc etc

I have a Volvo S60 Y Reg, 18" wheels, it came up on the advisory that the wheels rub slightly on full lock, but the mechanic put a note under it and said that it was perfectly normal for this type of car and wheel type, and is passable under VOSA

I think sometimes, like someone said above you need someone who knows about the cars, so they know its not an actual fault as such

He is just doing the MOT Test correctly . There is no grey area regarding tyres rubbing the arch , It is listed clearly in the MOT testers Bible the Tester's Manual . If there is a plate or block fitted for the purpose of the tyre to gently rub on full lock then its ok to pass . It isnt just volvo which have this feature , Morgan sports cars have had an alluminium block on the chassis for the tyres to rub on for decades .

Now i have seen volvos with the metal plate completely worn through and carrying on and wearing through the plastic arch liner , this is clearly a fail ..-
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:17   #44
alz4321

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...Sep%202011.pdf
alz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 13:38   #45
D5meister
Premier Member

I recently undid the 2 plastic nuts and took the wear plate off and peeled the plastic arch back from the inner wing.

Behind the plastic was 10mm of hard dry soil/silt - helping to push the plate forward into where the wheel should go.

Clean it away from inner wing and back of plastic arch.

Push your thumbs into the wear site on the plate and bend it a little more than it is already.

When U assemble, the action of tightening the nuts straightens the plate and forces the recessed are to push the now cleared plastic arch back to meet the inner wing. Creating a little more space to reduce rubbing.

I sprayed the wear mark black hammerite smooth - to enable me to guage if wear still happening.

I also use the Fe balance masses (self adhesive type from alloy wheels approx 12 x 15mm rectangle) drill a hole and use as a backing washer to pad out the wear block by thickness of the balance mass.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 17:38   #46
Whinger

Angry

I wish I had looked at this forum before I went to the garage today. I took my V70 to have a puncture repaired, but it needed a new tyre instead, the guy told me that the rubbing would be an MOT failure, which prompted me to buy the cheapest tyre he had, seeing as I was going to have to get 4 new wheels and tyres b4 the next MOT. I now have an 'ugly' budget tyre along with 3 beautiful Bridgestones.
Whinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 21:17   #47
vjck_uk
Premier member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
I panicked about this, but it is a known issue, even to vosa, the MOT people!. Have a look at their website.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk and type MOT 35 in the search box.

Why can't volvo come up with a modified plate, surely this would then not compromise the turning circle. This is my first Volvo and i am getting a bit nervous!
a copy of the addrees of the link would be better than wading through that lot,my 960 was catching on full lock,i put the correct sized tyres on and 5 m/m wheel spacers and its fine now
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 23:26   #48
Clan
Experienced Member

From The Tester's Manual :

"Note: Some vehicles have lock stops comprising rubbing pads on the body that the front tyres may contact on a full lock. These are acceptable if they are properly maintained so that they do not damage the tyres."
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 21:18   #49
Roller 1972

Default Tyre Rub

Hi

07 S60 I used to have the tyres rubbing when the turning circle was full on.

Main agent checked it out.

I think this can happen depending what tyres are fitted.

Changed back to pirrelli tyres and the problem was cured.
Roller 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 18:51   #50
vjck_uk
Premier member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70RMW View Post
Sounds very overzealous - even the 17" wheels rub, depending on tyres but I've never had an MOT failure as a result. I'd echo the suggestion trying somewhere else, preferably with Volvo knowledge, who are aware that this nonsense is how Volvo intend their cars to operate - not beyond the wit of man to redesign the wheel arch lining you'd have thought - or perhaps it is!
mine has 17 inch wheels with wider than standard tyres,i dropped down a size and fitted 5 m/m thick spacers and no more catching at all