Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Common S60 Problems - Solutions Only

Views : 251513

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 18:20   #31
jezza5986

Good idea, I'll dig out some cable ties! Thanks!

Got rid of the "Engine System Service Required" warning recently with a 20p 2mm nut and bolt instead of the £700 that the dealer wanted to replace the whole swirl arm assembly! Pics when I get five minutes
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 13:19   #32
Seanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza5986 View Post
Good idea, I'll dig out some cable ties! Thanks!

Got rid of the "Engine System Service Required" warning recently with a 20p 2mm nut and bolt instead of the £700 that the dealer wanted to replace the whole swirl arm assembly! Pics when I get five minutes
id be interested in hearing this ..
Seanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 21:45   #33
jezza5986

I'll get some pictures of the money pit's engine bay and post them up tomorrow for you, in the meantime, grab a 2mm nut and bolt, and file down the bolt to approx 20mm
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:27   #34
andybird
andybird

Angry

If you have locking wheel nuts ('bolts' to be totally accurate!!) get rid of them before one shears off and leaves you in a total mess.

Trust me on this.....
andybird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andybird For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 19:34   #35
citaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach View Post
Lights not flashing when locking car with remote - check all doors, bonnet & boot are fully shut; often opening boot/bonnet & slamming shut fixes this!
Mine had a split wire in the harness going to the trunk release button on the trunk.
citaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 21:48   #36
NatashaW

Default Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybird View Post
If you have locking wheel nuts ('bolts' to be totally accurate!!) get rid of them before one shears off and leaves you in a total mess.

Trust me on this.....
Totally agree with this one - I found out the hard way!

I had a flat tyre at work and the security guys helpfully tried to change it for me, except one of the locking nuts sheared off. They could do nothing so I phoned the breakdown rescue people, who also could do nothing except take the car to the local dealer. Of course by then they were closed.

The next day they fixed the wheel and asked me if I wanted to replace the locking nuts with ordinary ones - needless to say I said "Yes!"
NatashaW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NatashaW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 18:11   #37
T5RatherAmusin
I've Been Banned

find your doors dont quite run flush with the rest of the car?...

door hinges; youll see 3 line marking on them. and dots on the actual pillar.
you have to lign the middle line to the dots. loosen the torq 40 bolts a lil (do not remove these bolts) an retighten when correct
T5RatherAmusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 07:58   #38
tom1946

Default front wheel knock

As title, if you hear a knocking noise coming from the front wheels it could be the centre bolts behind the dust cap that have come loose. Tightening them up again will work for a while.

To make a permanent fix buy the XC90 bolts with a rubber cone on them and they won't come loose again.

HTH
tom1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 14:53   #39
fogster
V70 convert...!

Default Loss of power on D5 when accelerating hard but fine normally

Upon accelerating hard in D5 (mine is a 2003 V70), you find that the car's power suddenly stops pulling around 2-3000 rpm, with the car very reluctant to climb above that (mine was accompanied by the sound of someone trying to such an orange through a hosepipe!). However, when accelerating gently, the car pulls cleanly all the way to the red line. The collapse was accompanied by the "Engine Service Required" warning which cleared upon an engine restart.

The problem was not the intercooler, turbo or anything other expensive - it was the turbo inlet pipe. It had gone soft with age and had split; when accelerating hard the pipe was collapsing, starving the turbo of air. Accelerating gently meant the pressure was never enough to collapse the pipe. The pipe is only about £50 and a relatively easy fix - on my car, I could actually see the split before asking my local garage to swap it whilst in for a service (they only charged me for 30 minutes labour to do the job as they were doing the cambelt at the same time) - and that's my Volvo main dealer (Johnson's of Swindon).

I've written up the location on the attachment as the pipe is a little awkward to find but easy once you know where it is. I'd guess you could easily do this yourself (I was being lazy as the car was going in anyway).

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003 V70 D5 Collapsing Turbo Inlet Pipe location.pdf (553.5 KB, 432 views)
fogster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to fogster For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:23   #40
L7DDO

Cheers for this info, sounds exactly what im experiencing

Is this the offending part???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRESH-AIR-...81013387995%26
L7DDO is offline   Reply With Quote