Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 303185

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2013, 18:42   #101
Stekelly

Just to update, I went back to the scrapper and swapped the unit for another one. This time I disconnected the battery to change them as ive now read that you should do that and the new one is working fully . Well chuffed. Just the radio now so finger crossed.
Stekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stekelly For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 10:24   #102
fogster
V70 convert...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stekelly View Post
Just to update, I went back to the scrapper and swapped the unit for another one. This time I disconnected the battery to change them as ive now read that you should do that and the new one is working fully . Well chuffed. Just the radio now so finger crossed.
It seems we're doing a good job here of dispelling this "you can't use the cigarette lighter from one car in another or your engine will shut down" apparent myth!

It hence seems that:

1. Use parts with the exact same part number from a scrappy (mirrors, DDMs, PDMs, Climate etc) and, if you disconnect the battery before swapping, you seem (generally) to be ok.

(@Stekelly - let us know how you get on with the radio head unit!)

2. Upgrades between parts (e.g. one model of head unit to another) may be more problematic (with some functions not working properly) but it seems unlikely they'll kill your car. Perhaps anyone who has done this successfully (or otherwise) can post here?

3. A Volvo tech may be able to code your car to make different 'stuff' work.

4. There's even some evidence of people who have bought a "D5" that started out life as a petrol - so that's a complete engine and ECU swap into a different donor car - and the car apparently works perfectly! See here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...IN+DVLA+petrol
fogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 19:59   #103
Stekelly

Just to clarify, I was upgrading from the basic manual aircon unit to the climate panel with the buttons to change fan direction and the dials to set actual temperatures rather than different degrees of cold and hot . So it doesnt even have to be the same parts.

I Have the centre speaker and the amp, just need to get me a head unit and ill be ready for the upgrade. Is the wiring there already or will I need the loom that goes from the radio to the amp under the seat?

Last edited by Stekelly; Jul 5th, 2013 at 20:02.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stekelly For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 04:18   #104
john-v6tt

Just wondering if you have any updates on how you got on with the radio?

CheeRS John
john-v6tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 12:55   #105
Stekelly

Only got around to ordering the radio on Thursday. It was posted Friday so hopefully I'll have it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Does anyone know if the cable for the amp is installed (from radio to under the seat) in all models or will I need that too? I have the amp.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 13:05   #106
mikealder
VOC Member

If your existing headunit didn't use an external amplifier and the amplifier was built in to the headunit you need the DIN cable and you will be re-wiring the speaker leads as they will currently go to the rear of the headunit rather than where the amp lives under the drivers seat - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 13:29   #107
Stekelly

Ah right. I assumed it would be a case of just unplugging from the old radio and then use the harness that runs to the amp under the seat instead.

Do you know the part number for the amp or should any of them do? I'll have to go my my box of bits and see what p/n is on the amp I have.

Im guessing the harness I'm after is 3533717 ?
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:23   #108
Stekelly

Looks like the experiment is delayed till I get the cable. Radio is due in today according to UPS tracking . Was on to a mate that works in parts for a Volvo dealer and its €84 from them. Volvo parts guy on ebay in the US has one for $61 delivered. So £70 Vs £38. Might play the long game and go with the US seller.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 17:36   #109
Stekelly

Still waiting on the cable to arrive but had a few spare minutes there today so decided to stick the radio in . Followed proper procedure this time and disconnected the battery first :-) . Plugged it in , put everything back together and connected the battery. Radio worked straight away, steering wheel controls and all. Obviously I've no sound yet because the amp isn't connected but visually all looks ok. Hopefully I wont be waiting too much longer for the cable and I can report back that all is well.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 19:06   #110
Stekelly

Cable arrived today so I hooked it all up. Centre speaker sprung in to life but nothing from the others so I'm guessing I've a dud amp?

I cant find my multimeter to check but I assume the power cable under the seat is always on and doesn't need activating or anything?

EDIT: Panic over and crisis averted. :-) All is well. I never checked the fuses. Because my car didn't have the amp to begin with there was no fuse in that slot. Stuck one in and everything works

So to summarise. I started with a Hu-601 and I've swapped in a HU-801 and amp. As well as that I've upgraded the climate control panel from the base one with just the dials to the one with the buttons in the middle (in shape of seated man) and everything is working spot on. No massive electrical failures or trips to the dealer. Just swapped in and working.

Only issue now is a CD error message I got when I put one in and now I cant get it back out

Last edited by Stekelly; Sep 27th, 2013 at 20:01.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stekelly For This Useful Post: