Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing 164 back seat?

Views : 3588

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 23:18   #1
Lesky

Default Removing 164 back seat?

I did search for this but only came up with John H's resto project. My green manual doesn't cover this either and fiddling around in the car, I wasn't able to find any hooks, bolts, or snaps holding the the seat down.

What's the proper way to remove the back seat and the back shelf behind it?
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 23:24   #2
940_Turbo

You can't remove the parcel shelf, other than the carpet covering it. It is part of the structure of the car. Rear seat is easy. Pull the front edge of the seat base upwards and the base comes out. You'll now see 2 bendy tags holding the back down. Release the seat back from these and lift the back upwards to remove it from the car. (There are 2 hooks through the parcel shelf)
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 23:26   #3
john h
VOC Member

It can sometimes be reluctant to move... some force may be required

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 23:29   #4
940_Turbo

It helps to push the seat base back as you lift the front if it is reluctant.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:45   #5
Lesky

I tried to remove the seat base as mentioned, but to no avail. I peeked underneath and noticed a hook holding down the back middle of the seat. So, do I just need to apply more force? Is the seat base rigid enough to handle it?

Also, I am stripping out most of the interior because I have a rusty patch on the left C pillar that I need to have fixed. So I need to pull off the door cards. Does anyone know how to remove the window winders? My book says to press back the outer ring and then press down on the winder to loosen the clip holding it in. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to break my winder.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 03:08   #6
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
I tried to remove the seat base as mentioned, but to no avail. I peeked underneath and noticed a hook holding down the back middle of the seat. So, do I just need to apply more force? Is the seat base rigid enough to handle it?
Yes, you need sufficient force to flex the seat base enough for it to unhook. It is an annoying fixing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Also, I am stripping out most of the interior because I have a rusty patch on the left C pillar that I need to have fixed. So I need to pull off the door cards. Does anyone know how to remove the window winders? My book says to press back the outer ring and then press down on the winder to loosen the clip holding it in. Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to break my winder.

Thanks in advance.
Press the black plastic trim away from the winder handle. In the gap created, you will see a spring clip which needs to be opened up to allow the winder to slide off the splines.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:08   #7
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Further to john h's advice, Sykes-Pickavant make a clip removal tool for the door handle/window winder handles. When I got one I couldn't for the life of me see how it could make an awkward job any easier, but it did!

However, before I got it I had to remove trim cards on 164s and Amazons quite regularly as we had trouble with the window raise/lower cable tensioning (every few miles the glass dropped down!). I used a slightly bent slotted screwdriver to carefully tap the spring clip tang downwards a small amount until the handle sprung out of engagement with the splines. Don't do it over grass as if the clip drops away, I bet you'll loose it!

Re-assembly is easy: engage the spring clip in the slotted hole in the handle, feed onto the start of the splines and give it a sharp tap with the ball of the hand so the taper on the winder arm opens the clip over the slope until it drops into its groove.

Further on rear seat squab removal, I haven't done it for a while but from memory it may be easier to remove the seat back first. On that the lower outboard corners clip over retaining lugs on the body, but they may also fit over spigots along the rear shelf/ledge, so look in the boot first.

As usual, not easy to describe but far easier in the flesh, providing you don't mind being a bit aggressive! At least its not all fragile plastic clips like on my 740 estate!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 04:42   #8
Lesky

Will have a go at it this week and will also snap a few photos to share.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 05:02   #9
Lesky

I finally got the seat out. I ended up having to push the rear section of the frame out of the hook using a pry bar. Actually went pretty easy.

Here is my main motivation for stripping the interior

The rust doesn't appear to be into the sill, but I'll have to wait and see. I am going to take the paint down and see. If it's not bad, I'll treat it with rust killer, prime, and paint it. If it's beyond that, I'll have to have a shop do the work.

Once I pulled the rear seat I got a good look at my rear wheel wells.
Right
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCF0005.jpg

Left

It looks like someone has already done some sort of repair.

I also found some surface rust under the carpet that I am planning on fixing. Hopefully there isn't anymore once I remove all of the carpet.

Does anyone know what the stuff is between the carpet and the floor? Is this sound vibration damping material? Any ideas on how to remove it?

Last edited by Lesky; Dec 5th, 2010 at 05:08.
Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 08:48   #10
arcturus
arcturus

If it's the thin plastic like patch which is a "vibration damper" Apply some heat to loosen the adhesive and use a paint scraper or similar to prise it up and away. I removed all the stuff from my 144 to check for hidden corrosion